Seriously considering home birth

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2012, 03:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just found out I am expecting #2. I ma beyond excited. I do remember though with my son while I was at the hospital, they gave him a paci, formula and the shots I signed the waiver not to get were given to him in the brief time he wasn't with me. I am pissed, and outraged that I would have to worry about what happens to my son in the care of hospital staff....

I have a few concerns. The only midwives that attend home births here in UT are CPMs (They call themselves DEMs as well). Are they a good choice?

Also, my son was born at 36 weeks. He was healthy and big at 7.5 pounds and 20.5 inches (Dates weren't off, I was charting when he was conceived) Would this automatically exclude me from a home birth?

I have more questions but my son is climbing on me right now so I will ask later.

Thanks mamas!

February 23rd, 2012, 05:08 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
Welcome and congrats on your pregnancy!! I do not have answers to your questions though, sorry. I hope one of the ladies can help you out.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

February 23rd, 2012, 06:48 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi, you! Congratulations on your new pregnancy!!!!

Unfortunately I don't know many answers to your questions since I'm new to this board as well and looking into my options. But I can sympathize with having a bad hospital birth experience with DS. I'm so sorry that happened to you, they should be held responsible for going against what they had consent to do. No doubt that would enrage any mother. I'm sorry you had to experience that

I would say as for P being 4 weeks early, I would think the important thing is that he was healthy and had no other complications. As long as you are healthy and nothing with previous births went wrong, I don't think it would rule you out at all as a home birth candidate.

March 1st, 2012, 11:17 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
Welcome and congrats on #2! DEM are direct entry midwives. In CA they are called licensed midwives. I had a CNM and LM at my birth and the only difference was the LM couldn't give things like pitocin for postpartum hemorrhage or give IV's if you opted for IV antibiotics. Other than that she did everything the same at my CNM, they can bring o2 and things like that. I would be comfortable using a DEM(or whatever they are by state)

March 11th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Please check the laws of your state. Some states don't allow home births and so if a complication happens and you have to rush to the hospital there could be fines (beyond just hospital dues).
March 11th, 2012, 09:36 PM
.Jessica.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello Erica I am just lurking and saw your post... I live in Utah as well and Im having my baby at home (hopefully) Do you live in SL county or Utah county?I live in Utah county and can recommend a good midwife if you want. I had my last baby at a birthing center with a CPM she also does home births but I was afraid cause it was my first one naturally so I opted for the birth center. This time I know I can do it with out pain meds so we are doing a tub birth...If you want to chat...just message me

oh I also forgot to mention that it IS legal here in Utah to have your baby at home...here is a link Utah Code

March 11th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was GBS positive with Peter, so I may be this time as well, so I think I would need IV antibiotics....

March 12th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
I dont know anything about US laws ect Im in canada and the midwives here will not do a homebirth if you go into labour before 37 weeks, im not sure if its the same in the states or not, but that might be something to ask when you interview Midwives

May 24th, 2012, 10:06 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargatemommy View Post
I was GBS positive with Peter, so I may be this time as well, so I think I would need IV antibiotics....
I was GBS + with my first and kind of forced myself to be GBS negative with #2....I ate raw garlic (natures antibiotic) and rinsed with hibiclens

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
May 25th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think Peter was born at 36 weeks because my stress level was at 700%. I had lost so many babies before him that I was terrified he was going to die.... I was certifiable towards the end of my pregnancy. i think I will be much more calm with the next, so I think "he" will be born closer to his due date....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search