Planning for a Home Water Birth

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Regular
I dream of having a water birth in the comfort of my home with my midwife, my partner and my little boy there to help. I had GBS with my son so as far as I know, if I have it again a home birth is out of the question? I am going to do everything in my power to try to avoid GBS this time around(probiotics, garlic, etc).

I am really afraid though. I want to not be scared of it, but I had an extremely painful, traumatic birth in the hospital with my son. I was induced after my water broke, and the pain was so bad I ended up getting an epidural after 7 and a half hours and my son was born within 30 minutes. It was a terrible experience. I screamed and cried the whole time.

I want something different. I want a peaceful, loving birth like I have read about. How can I get myself to that place by December? How can I get rid of the fear?
April 13th, 2012, 12:01 AM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would talk to your midwife. My midwife could administer antibiotics or you could opt out of the antibiotics if you decided you didn't want them. She also didn't require the GBS test so you could sign a waiver and opt out if you chose. I don't think being GBS+ risks you out of home birth in most cases.

April 16th, 2012, 11:00 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto, talk to your midwife. I had 2 hospital births and 3 amazing home water births. My midwife said being GBS+ wouldn't disqualify me from a home birth, she had a plan for how that's managed at home. But in the end, I never did test + for GBS so it wasn't an issue.
April 29th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Good idea for taking probiotics - my midwife says that will help for sure. She is also not concerned if I test positive for GBS. She said that I can still have a water birth. They do not offer antibiotics during labor. They said that the chance of something bad happening to the baby (GBS infection) is sooo rare. They also said that keeping the vernix on the baby is a natural barrier to GBS. Good luck with everything!
April 30th, 2012, 08:25 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You could also check with your local hospital because some will allow you to come in in early labor to get a round of the antibiotics and then go back home. If it's a long labor sometimes you need 2 treatments.
May 12th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Another option although it may not be exactly what you're hoping for is having a hospital water birth.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search