Annual Pap?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey girls. I've posted here a few times in the past but just to recap I have a 21 month old DS who I had to have an unplanned C-section with. I've been researching home birth and am interested in going that route for my next child but am not yet pregnant.

I have already found and spoken with two midwives I feel very comfortable with and I recently discovered that one of them delivered the children of my Chiropractor as well. His wife had all of his children at home. After speaking to him about their experience I feel much more confident in my decision.

I have my annual Pap smear coming up that I need to schedule. Since having my son I've tried scheduling my annual with different physicians to try to find an OB I liked before I was pregnant again and in a panic. My question is this: Do midwives who conduct home births ever schedule and perform just a normal annual pap smear for someone who isn't expecting? I think it'd be a great time to meet and start that relationship, but I wasn't sure if midwives even do this sort of service. TIA!

July 10th, 2012, 10:19 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
If they offer well woman services then yes they can do your annual paps at their office or your home whichever they choose. I would call and ask them or email and ask if they offer well woman care. I will be going to a home birth midwife for my well woman care.

July 10th, 2012, 11:51 AM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A lot of midwives do well woman care as well. My midwife did my pap at one of my postpartum visits and I'm planning to have her do them from here on out. It would also be a great way to meet midwives and get a feel for them so you already know which ones you like before you get pregnant.

July 10th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great, thanks ladies! I was worrying that this wasn't common practice for some reason. Now I need to figure out how this would work for insurance since my insurance won't cover midwifery care unless it's file under a Dr. Which obviously wouldn't be the case for home birth which stinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

July 11th, 2012, 07:17 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
I think it just depends on the individual practice and probably the state you are living in. I know many birthing centers who also provide home-birth care will do well-women care. My last midwife was in the process of getting set up to do well-women care when I was seeing her throughout my pregnancy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search