Medical Backup

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MissusF
  • 1 Post By therevslady
  • 1 Post By GranolaMamaOf3

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2012, 06:33 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
So, due to GA HB laws right now (gray area, but getting better) my midwife request all her patients become established with another care provider who has hospital privileges, such as a CNM or OB, for medical backup. I was a little turned off by the idea at first, but I understand her reasoning. If there were ever a need to transfer care, it just makes things easier if you are already established with someone, and it keeps her from being put in the spotlight.

I just set up my first prenatal appointment with a CNM whom my midwife recommended because she (and the OB she works under) is very HB friendly. I'll be about 12 weeks when I go in, and then, so long as everything goes according to plan, I only have to go back at 36 weeks to basically say "I'm still here. Remember me?". When I called to set up the appt I wasn't sure if I should mention that I'm planning a HB, or just wait and talk directly to the midwife. The receptionist was super sweet, and just before hanging up she asks, "and will this be a HB?". I was like "Yes actually it will". And she said "okay, great!" I was a little surprised that she even asked! I guess they get home-birthers a lot? Anyway it made me feel more comfortable with the practice.

Has anyone else had multiple care providers while planning a HB? How did it work out for you?

July 11th, 2012, 09:13 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did! This is how it happened. My insurance does not cover midwives unless they bill under a supervising MD which obviously home birth midwives do not. So we had to pay out of pocket which was not too big of a deal. I started seeing an OB on top of the midwife when we found out I have RH- blood. I needed a rhogam shot at 20 weeks and then one within 72 hours of birth. My midwife could totally have ordered the meds for me and given me the shots herself but rhogam is really expensive so we went with the OB so my insurance would pay for it. My midwife recommended him and I actually ended up loving him. He isn't actually an OB but a family practice doctor who delivers lots of babies. He was very supportive of my home birth. I only saw him for one prenatal before the rhogam shot so he could meet me, came in for the shot and then saw him at 36 weeks for a final checkup. He even called the final Rhogam shot into my pharmacy so my midwife could administer it to me at home and I wouldn't have to go to the office at only 2 or 3 days postpartum. He is now our family doctor and I adore him! I think having to see him for shadow care during my pregnancy was a blessing in disguise because we got such a great doctor out of it. So glad you've found someone who is supportive of your birth plans!
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

July 12th, 2012, 08:59 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
I've had a few friends in not midwife friendly states have to do this. Thats great the OB's office was so nice and supportive.

MissusF I just noticed you are in Central Ca, small would I am in Central CA too

July 12th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm located in GA as well and would have to do this if I wanted to even try to get my prenatal care covered by our insurance. It's frustrating to even think about--seems like a stressful balancing act to me :/ that's great you found a supportive Dr office tho, that's very rare!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

July 13th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Memi- What part of GA do you live in? I'm South/west of Atlanta.

July 13th, 2012, 07:05 AM
I'm about 30 min. north of Atlanta. A little bit north west I suppose.

ETA: I'm married to a Bryce as well!

Last edited by Memi; July 13th, 2012 at 07:13 AM.
July 13th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Okay cool. My midwife (birthing right midwifery) is in Acworth/Kennesaw A bit of a drive for us, but we really like her so far.

Funny about Both being married to a Bryce. My DS1 is named after his daddy, so he's also a Bryce

July 14th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Oh neat!! I'm right next to Acworth. That's actually where I work. I contacted Birthing Right and they are one of my favorite two practices I'm interested in using next time. Do you happen to know if they do well women care? I need to schedule an annual and would love to go ahead and meet them. I'd also love to hear your experience with them thus far.

July 14th, 2012, 05:01 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
As you know, I am in Ga too. I've been receiving dual care throughout my pregnancy. I wanted a few prenatal tests done and it was nice to have insurance cover it. I also have a history or pre-eclampsia in two of my previous pregnancies, so I wanted to have dibs on my preferred back up. It actually hasn't been too much of a pain at all. I just sort of alternate visits (go to hospital midwives one visit, then to homebirth midwives next visit). Since my hospital midwives are not an official back up to my homebirth midwives, I've just been operating under the table so to speak. I don't really talk to the staff about it and I asked the midwives not to write anything about it in my chart. But I talk to them about it in my office visits. They are super excited for me and are giving lots of support and encouragement, so that's nice. I think they wish they could come too since they never get to do homebirths, lol.
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

July 14th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memi View Post
Oh neat!! I'm right next to Acworth. That's actually where I work. I contacted Birthing Right and they are one of my favorite two practices I'm interested in using next time. Do you happen to know if they do well women care? I need to schedule an annual and would love to go ahead and meet them. I'd also love to hear your experience with them thus far.

I'm really not sure if they do well women care or not. If I had to guess I'd say no, but I don't know. We have only had our consultation so far. It was supposed to last an hour and lasted over two! My husband is a critical care paramedic, and we were both super impressed with her knowledge, experience and confidence. I had this very lengthy list of questions, and she was excited to answer them all. I go back for my first prenatal around 12 weeks (scheduled 2 hour appt!). Normally she would see her patients sooner, but we're going to be moving so we just decided to wait. I'll let you know more as we progress
therevslady likes this.

July 15th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Thanks so much for sharing your experience. How ironic!! It's great to hear you hit it off so well with her. I gave saved all info from
My conversation with her I had on the phone several months ago. I definitely plan to meet and talk with her for our next LO
Best of luck with your move and congrats on your new pregnancy!!!

July 18th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Thank you!

July 19th, 2012, 11:04 AM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I'd have been put off by the suggestion at first as well but it sounds like you have found a really awesome OB office.

July 19th, 2012, 10:31 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Denise, I'm in Merced. It's a small world

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

Tags
missusf

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search