How do you choose a midwife!

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By marialena

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2012, 10:08 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies, I'm newly pregnant and planning a home birth with this baby, first was a typical hospital birth. I've interviewed 2 midwives and like them both, one was more personable but has less experience. What are some deciding factors for you ladies? I have no clue which one to pick!
August 7th, 2012, 11:34 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My choice was easy. There are only two midwives in my area (there are actually more, but only two that I knew of at the time) and one of them was not taking patients due in February. It worked out for the best because I adore my midwife and I'm not sure the other one would have been a good match for me. If I had to choose I was going to interview both with a list of questions and things that I wanted for my birth and then hire whoever I felt like I clicked with the most.

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

August 8th, 2012, 06:46 AM
marialena's Avatar Veteran
For my first two pregnancies I chose the midwife with more experience, and in our situation she had dramatically more experience (30 years more), this time I am so excited to use the midwife I "click" with more! I was so worried about potentially transferring to the hospital that I wanted the midwife that would only tell me I needed to transfer if it were life or death. This time I feel confident that I will do just fine and won't need someone else to decide if I need to go or not.
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

August 8th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Thanks ladies, I'm still undecided, I've met a mama that delivered with the more experienced midwife, she had great things to say about her. I still feel like I connected more with the younger one, the thing that's holding me back I guess is that so far she's only delivered 9 babies in her own practice. But I guess we all start somewhere.
August 11th, 2012, 08:45 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
9 in her own practice, but I'm sure MANY more before while apprenticing (yes?). I say go with your gut and whoever you feel most comfortable with, as this is a very intimate time in your life. Congratulations!

August 12th, 2012, 06:40 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think whichever one puts you the most at ease is the one to go with! If you're worried about her lack of experience, ask her a few questions about how she'd handle different emergency situations. If she is able to answer those questions confidently, then go for it. Even if she's only done 9 births in her own practice, she would have had to apprentice at many more births than that. Ask her how many births she's attended TOTAL, even as an apprentice. That might make you feel better about her experience. Sounds like you'd probably do fine with either one though!
August 14th, 2012, 08:43 PM
So to make it more confusing for myself I met another midwife and am scheduled ot meet one more on monday lol. I guess I'm waiting to feel that something that will let me know for sure "this is the one" The 3rd one I met is quite experienced and has a pool and will do encapsulation as part of the fee. Those things are a definite plus to me! She is also a mother and felt more maternal, not sure that it matters. I still feel more of a "friend" connection with the 2nd midwife, but this 3rd one has some perks. I'm not sure if I should even meet the 4th one, or just cancel it and not confuse myself any further.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search