We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
Anyone here been GBS + and have a home birth? I didn't make it to the hospital in time with my third baby (last Sept) to get the antiobiotics (and then had to stay for 48 hours...UGH, not happening again!!), and we are deciding about whether to plan for a homebirth for baby #4 if/when that time comes.
I'd love to hear how others have handled GBS. Did you skip the antibiotcs completely or did your midwife administer it?
Is there such a thing as giving the baby antibiotics only if they show signs (fever, etc)? Or you HAVE to be preventive for this?
I really worried about this during my pregnancy. I am allergic to a lot of antibiotics and my midwife said she did not feel comfortable administering them to me in labor in case I had a reaction. If I wanted them I would have to have a hospital birth. It ended up being a non issue because I wasn't GBS+. I'm not sure if all midwives will administer antibiotics but mine did. You could decline the standard round of abx if you didn't want them or decline GBS testing altogether.
Shawna, I am leaning toward this way of thinking as well (except it's harder because I HAVE been + with my 2nd and 3rd p/g) I am researching the whole thing more. I have recently read about the effect of antibiotics on the baby and their poor little tummy and it makes me ill! And this is preventive, not reactive.
Among other things, I wonder if the emotional stress for us is really worth it next time. The baby is exposed to those stress hormones while I'm p/g and again while breastfeeding if they draw a bunch of blood on the baby while in the hospital (SOOOO stressful!!)
I want to find out exactly what they do in the event that the baby DOES show any signs of illness. Like, is it too late to completely fight off the bacteria or is it fully treatable?
I was GBS+ with my last baby and my CNM offered me hibiclens or antibiotics. I just opted for the one dose of antibiotics and it took like many 15 min for her to put in the IV and the bag to be administered, maybe 20 max. Once I had the dose she took out that IV and that was it. The hibiclens is a wash you do like every 4 hours in labor. Once I found out I was GBS positive it didn't change my plans at all and we just worked with it.
Where I live it is not routinly tested. I was not tested with ds2. Instead the MW just has you nurse within 30 minutes of birth and then comes in and checks on baby. You can tell if baby is having problems by breathing, etc.
Mama to G, L & twins F & M
Started off 2013 homebirthing suprise twins Fia Celesta & Maddalena Isabella
I tested positive and had a home birth. I started taking probiotics, immunity boosters, etc after I found out. I made sure to push the baby out in the water to reduce transmission. I took the watch and see approach. I had the baby's white blood cell count tested when I went his first doctor's appt. If he was showing signs of infection, I would treat it. I do not like using antibiotics as a "just in case" measure. I would have no problem using antibiotics if there was a sign that they were needed.
Previously known as ~~Que~~
Student Midwife, Doula, Placenta Specialist, and Lactation Counselor