Is it possible to do Antibody Testing of newborn at birth in homebirth?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 23rd, 2012, 01:15 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are still desperately trying to choose which birthing option we are going to be able to pick. Half of our decision is what insurance will cover, which is sad but financially a reality. The other part is knowing if a midwife can easily test at a homebirth for antibodies, through coombs or blood cord testing. I have Anti-M antibodies which can be absolutely nothing, or can require some treatment for jaundice, or it can be as severe as a newborn blood transfusion, if we didn't need an intrauterine blood transfusion.

Anyways, we won't have a clue how serious it will be until near birth. My blood titers could stay relatively normal and nothing extra will be required, other than a quick check at birth and all is clear, or those final days could show that we are looking at newborn anemia or jaundice and higher levels of care.

I have a good hospital picked if we are forced to choose the hospital option. I'd still rather choose home birth or birth center if possible and I'm not technically high risk at this point. I am also trying to choose a new care provider and am lost on whether or not I should pursue a midwife group who can do HB and BC births knowing that I could be forced into a hospital birth later.

Or can a midwife easily do those kinds of tests right at birth? Sorry this is so rambly, it's just all the stuff swimming in my head and I need to choose soon since I am already 17 weeks.

September 24th, 2012, 08:42 AM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure what anti-m is, but I'm RH-. If the baby has + blood I will need a shot, if its - then I don't. My midwife said she will test the cord blood at birth, send it "rush" to a lab, and have the results by the time she comes back for the 24 hr visit. I would imagine your midwife could do the same thing.

Honestly, this is one of the MANY things I love about having a home birth. In the hospital, they just gave me the shot without checking the baby's blood. They just assumed I needed it. But with the midwife, she is actually going to be sure I need it, which I'm grateful for because the shots are $200 out of pocket.

I know from your posts in the DDC that you are still struggling with this, but have you met with any midwives yet? They generally do a free consultation and it really would help you decide. I think they would be honest, and either tell you its too much of a risk, or assure you that you can do it!

September 24th, 2012, 06:34 PM
I have a few that I'm trying to meet with and am meeting with one group tomorrow that has hospital privileges as well if we ultimately decide to go this route. I know it's so petty, but I just want to be able to easily pick someone without all these extra questions and options- I got so sick of it in years of infertility and doctors visits that I just wanted pregnancy to be smooth and simple! Just pick someone and done!

September 25th, 2012, 05:12 PM
After meeting with two midwives, I instantly knew which one I wanted. Hopefully the choice will be just as easy for you! In Missouri, midwives don't have hospital privileges, they can only come with you as a doula, so having a midwife be able to deliver at the hospital would probarbly be a great option for you. Good luck with your meetings, hopefully you'll just click with someone right away!

September 26th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Well we may not get as lucky as we hoped in interviewing a few. The first one had a massive mixup in paperwork and it put a huge distaste in my mouth and inability to trust them emotionally. They also said we'd be having blood work and an ultrasound and after driving a hour away and parking at the huge center and paying for said parking, they didn't have everything they needed and the appointment basically didn't happen. They also only deliver in hospital.

Locally we have multiple options for homebirth and birth centers, and that experience pushed me over the edge to finding someone to do homebirth. This and a few other threads also helped me know that I could do the testing we need even if we birth at home.

We found out our insurance covers HOMEbirth, and one midwife locally in network is completely booked for March, but another one who is out of network is helping us get a forbearance to have them covered in network. So they'll be our only option for homebirth at this point

September 29th, 2012, 03:25 PM
That's awesome! I really hope the home birth works out for you! I regret not having one with my first. Our new insurance will cover a home birth, but I'm not sure it will be worth it, depending on the deductible. I think its great that some insurance will cover it, maybe they are starting to realize how much money they are saving!

Tags
anti-m , antibody , coombs , newborn cord testing

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search