Sonograms

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By *Anya*
  • 1 Post By marialena
  • 1 Post By KnitterLaurel
  • 1 Post By KtKuKi
  • 1 Post By Social Halfwit
  • 1 Post By *Anya*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 7th, 2013, 07:25 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
I'd love to hear other home-birth moms perspective on this practice!

Do you have any sonograms done during your pregnancy with your home-birth midwifery practice?

Why or why not?

How do you feel about the use of fetal heart rate dopplers?

February 7th, 2013, 09:31 AM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not convinced that U/S is safe, my first daughter had an anomaly that was life threatening so I wanted to make sure that we were safe to proceed with home birth this time. I had 1 U/S, they wanted me to do a repeat because they didn't' get all the pics they wanted but I canceled, I was content with the one I had and felt we were safe to go ahead with home birth. I did get a few dopplers earlier on because I wasn't feeling movements and was concerned. Luckily my midwife doesn't like them either and turned it off as soon as we heard a good heart beat.
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.
February 7th, 2013, 08:25 PM
marialena's Avatar Veteran
I am not a fan of ultrasounds, we did have one this pregnancy just to check viability since it was completely a shock to us but otherwise I have never had one before that. I think that they are significantly abused in the medical practice, I think it is "funny" that they are used to monitor for intrauterine growth retardation and are also a cause of the same issue... I also think they cause way more emotional stress on the mother when most of the "potential issues" end up being just fine by birth. I belive that it is best not to worry until you have to, at least for me. I don't have any plan on abortions if something is wrong so therefor what is the purpose of the ultrasound... (at least for me)

As far as dopplers are concerned I haven't been too concerned but my midwifes have also always been very conservative with their use. My current midwife uses the stethoscope for fetal monitoring and I love it except that my children can't hear the heart beat like I can, she also has a doppler that we have used a couple times.

-This is all mostly just my options from personal experience.

February 8th, 2013, 11:56 AM
I agree with a lot of your view points, Marialena. I too have great concern with the routine over use of US.

I had two with my first, before I learned much about the risks involved. I didn't have any with my second. This pregnancy has been a bit different because I had some heavy bleeding/cramping at week 5 and 6, so they did an US at 6 weeks to check for the cause, and then again at 9 the confirm everything had healed so I could be released from bed-rest. We weren't planning on having any more, but now...

I'm wondering: Do you ladies think there is any increased need for the 20 week anatomy scan when planning an out of hospital birth, just to cover your basses and be prepared if there was a birth defect of some sort? I'm referring to something life-threatening if not treated immediately, or that would require surgical birth. I have a friend with a spina bifida baby, so I guess I'm just thinking along those lines...

I would also *really* like to find out the gender this time. But since we've already had 2 ultrasounds, I'm having a hard time justifying another one... Talk me out of it!

As for dopplers: My first midwife used one at every visit. My second used one until 20 weeks or so, when baby was big enough to find with a fetoscope. I'm not sure if my current MW even has a fetoscope. My biggest concern with dopplers is, again, over use. Especially by moms who have their own and use them at home on a daily basis - sometimes for an hour at a time! I understand the novelty of it, especially after having a miscarriage - I'm sure they are very comforting! But from what I've read, they are at least 3 times stronger than US, so even more dangerous!

**I am not a medical professional, and do not mean any of this critically. these are simple my opinions and concerns.**

February 8th, 2013, 12:14 PM
KnitterLaurel's Avatar Super Mommy
We do one ultrasound at about 20 weeks, just to make sure that there aren't any unforeseen complications, (placenta previa, etc.) that would make us unsuitable for home birth. I don't mind the doppler being done at the midwife appointments, and I have one of my own, but it gets used very sparingly and probably not at all once we go to the midwife more often.

February 8th, 2013, 09:11 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My midwife doesn't require ultrasounds, so it's up to the patient whether or not to get them. My plan was to only have the 20 week anatomy scan but I ended up with 4 . Not my ideal but it kept me sane since I went so far past my edd. I ended up having a 13 week u/s because DH really pushed for it, anatomy scan, 36 week scan to check my partial previa, and a bio physical profile at 41+5 to calm my nerves. Next pregnancy I'm hoping to only have one ultrasound.

My midwife used the doppler until she could hear dd with the fetoscope. I had a low anterior placenta so my midwife could always find her with the fetoscope but DH and I could never hear it. She would pull the doppler out for us at every appointment.

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

Last edited by MissusF; February 8th, 2013 at 09:14 PM.
February 11th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissusF View Post
My midwife doesn't require ultrasounds, so it's up to the patient whether or not to get them. My plan was to only have the 20 week anatomy scan but I ended up with 4 . Not my ideal but it kept me sane since I went so far past my edd. I ended up having a 13 week u/s because DH really pushed for it, anatomy scan, 36 week scan to check my partial previa, and a bio physical profile at 41+5 to calm my nerves. Next pregnancy I'm hoping to only have one ultrasound.

My midwife used the doppler until she could hear dd with the fetoscope. I had a low anterior placenta so my midwife could always find her with the fetoscope but DH and I could never hear it. She would pull the doppler out for us at every appointment.
Sometimes more are necessary and that's okay

February 11th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Pretty Crispy's Avatar Proud Momma
My midwife doesn't require you to have any, she prefers an early one for dating purposes but its not required. I've had a few this pregnancy because I have a low lying placenta and short cervix and its my first pregnancy so everything is new to me. If we have another baby I will probably only have one for dating and no more if everything is okay.
As far as Doppler.. My midwife uses it regularly but I've mentioned that I don't see a need for it and she hasn't used it the past few visits as long as I assure her I've been feeling plenty of movement every day - which is definitely not a concern with this wiggle worm of a boy in my belly.

February 23rd, 2013, 05:44 PM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I feel torn on the U/S. There definitely isn't long term research to prove they are safe even though doctors love to insist they are. We have had 3 so far. I had a m/c before this pregnancy at 7weeks, but I didn't find out till almost 10 wks when I just had a feeling something was wrong. I wished I'd just had one at 8 weeks that time, b/c 3 weeks is a long time to get attached to being pregnant, I just think it would have been easier. So, this time we had one at 8wks, then one at 20 b/c I did want to know what we were having, and check baby's kidneys (SIL only has 1, and didn't find out till she had lots of problems as a teenager) Then we just had one to ease my mind that he was head down. That one was probably unnecessary since I was pretty sure and so was my midwife.

The funny thing is...I really don't like U/S's. I know mom's just want to stare at their babies all day, but once we found out the gender, and then that baby was head down, I was kinda done. The tech kept going b/c you get so long, but I get bored! Is that terrible??? Plus the one I had at 37 weeks was super uncomfy laying on my back, and she kept trying to get good pics and I just wanted to leave!

As far as the doppler, I am totally guilty on owning one. My midwife used one until she could hear it on the fetoscope, and then she asks if I want to hear on the doppler. I bought one for myself b/c my midwife couldn't find the hb at our 11 week visit, I knew I couldn't go another 4 weeks worrying about it. I used it very sparingly, once or twice a week just till I heard the hb, then would stop. Once baby started moving around 18 weeks, I stopped using it.

I am shocked to hear people in my DDC who literally get an U/S every visit. I just don't see the need. My sister had them at every visit with her twins, but even then, I'm not sure how necessary that is.

February 25th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranolaMama View Post
I'm wondering: Do you ladies think there is any increased need for the 20 week anatomy scan when planning an out of hospital birth, just to cover your basses and be prepared if there was a birth defect of some sort? I'm referring to something life-threatening if not treated immediately, or that would require surgical birth. I have a friend with a spina bifida baby, so I guess I'm just thinking along those lines...
This is the only reason I got one, my daughter's anomaly was similar to spina bifida, and it required immediate medical treatment and she had surgery a few hours after birth. I realize that things like this are extremely rare, but having been on the side where the rare happens to you I needed to know that everything was ok.
My midwife actually didn't want to use the doppler on me early on, she always left it in the car because she doesn't like them that much lol. It's only when I specifically asked for her to find the heartbeat that she would go get it, and she always told me "I just want to make sure that you understand this is U/S" lol I do appreciate that
February 25th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Veteran
We had ultrasounds with our first 3. With baby #4 we decided to leave the gender as a "surprise!", so didn't do the ultrasound. Now we're expecting baby 5 and I have never seen a need to ultrasound.

Our midwife also used the doppler until she could just use the fetoscope.

My opinions generally run on "less is best". I don't see the need for all the "extra" exams, internals, ultrasounds, or bloodwork.
March 19th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Social Halfwit's Avatar the shade of it all
I'll have to research into the risks of ultrasounds.. I feel this huge need to know the gender, even though logically I try to tell myself it really doesn't matter what gender they are. Maybe if I had a better understanding of the risks then I could finally convince myself to stay away!
*Anya* likes this.

Ry, happily engaged to Zach.
Mom to Bodhi, Brigham, and Elliott.

March 19th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Halfwit View Post
I'll have to research into the risks of ultrasounds.. I feel this huge need to know the gender, even though logically I try to tell myself it really doesn't matter what gender they are. Maybe if I had a better understanding of the risks then I could finally convince myself to stay away!
This is a good place to start
http://guggiedaly.blogspot.com/2011/...ound-list.html

Not knowing the gender this time has actually been fun, and the biggest "benefit" is all the savings! lol there is only so much gender neutral clothing you can buy, and I have a hard time not buying baby clothes lol.
Social Halfwit likes this.
April 3rd, 2013, 04:26 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
We just do the 20wk scan and that's it. Use the doppler just to find h/b and then that's it.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search