Water Birth!

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kelllilee
  • 1 Post By MissusF
  • 1 Post By JoyfulChaosMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2013, 12:30 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Water Birth - Is it just me or does this seem to be rising in popularity?

Is this something you would be interested in?

If you have had one, what was your favorite and least favorite part?

What kind of tub/pool did you birth in?

February 8th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I've had 2.5 lol (first baby I "had" to get out right before delivery per hospital policy).

Second birth was at a birth center, so it was a big 2 person jacuzzi tub.

Third was at home in an inflatable tub (not sure the brand, big, blue, with a padded floor).

I will opt for a water birth every time if I can!! I love it. Water is very calming to me, I can let me hands float, which encourages my shoulders to relax, leading the rest of me to relax. I think it helps with tearing as well. And your baby is less "gooey" when you first hold him/her haha.

I do find it helps ease the pain. I preferred the inflatable tub over the jacuzzi tub. The jets were sort of nice early on, but towards the end they just irritate me. The only thing I didn't like was that if my toddler bumped into the tub it would shake the water and make me lose my focus and be in more pain.

I found out today that my boss had a waterbirth too! That was pretty cool because she just never struck me as a "natural" minded person, if that makes sense.
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

February 8th, 2013, 09:25 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My plan was to have a water birth. We had a blow up fishy pool lol. As it turns out the pool wasn't comfortable at all for me. I was perfectly comfortable laboring 'on land' but decided to try the pool in transition. The only way I could get comfy was being on my knees completely upright. If my hips were bent at all I was in horrible pain and the pool wasn't deep enough to accommodate that position so I was only in for 40 minutes. I do think it helped keep me warm during transition because I was freezing! I am torn as to whether I want to try a water birth next time. Since we already have the pool we'll probably set it up and see what I feel like when I'm in labor.
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

February 10th, 2013, 05:38 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our plan is for a waterbirth this time, my midwife has tubs we can rent (not sure what brand) and I can't wait! I wanted one with my daughter soo bad, but she was a hospital birth and our hospital wasn't very friendly.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

February 11th, 2013, 11:27 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
My first was a hospital birth, and they didn't allow water birth, so I labored in the tub for a bit during transition (got to the hospital at 9cm) before getting out to use the toilet and then started pushing.

My second was a home water birth and I LOVED it! I can see how it's not for everyone, but it really helped me relax. and I felt so CLEAN afterwords! That part really surprised me, compared to my "land" birth where I felt so dirty and had to shower immediately after! I didn't shower until the next day after my water birth.

The only thing we will do differently this time around is have DH IN the tub with me to help support me. We had the tub pretty full so I could have my lower back submerged while on hands and knees, and when my baby was born he had a short cord, so it made it kind of awkward to hold him with one arm, and support/lift myself up out of the water a little bit with the other arm.

February 16th, 2013, 12:45 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
I planned a waterbirth with my last child but I ended up not wanting to be in the tub after an hour or so. I delivered on my bed which was upstairs. I wanted to go back and get in just got the birth but didn't have time from when I decided that I wanted too lol. I'm hoping that with my next one it will be a waterbirth

February 27th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Veteran
Hi! I am hopping over from the Sept ddc. I have had three hospital/epidural births and am preg with my 4th and last! I have always wanted to have an at home water birth so I am really looking into it! I have my consult with a midwife next Thursday and my insurance covers it 100% so I am so excited!

Love reading about your experiences!
April 13th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
With my 1st, I got to the birth center at a 7-8 and went to 10 and pushing in 2 or 3 contractions. I got into the built in jacuzzi, but there was a gas leak and my midwife was late arriving and the tub was only 1/2 full so it wasn't that great. Then it filled while I labored and pushed. My dh accidently turned the jets on for a brief moment and broke my concentration. Anyway, I couldn't find a comfortable position. I kept thinking the water was too shallow and I really needed to be upright. So after an hour, I got out of the tub and sat on the birthing stool to give birth. (took 45 more mins) I did get that "clean" feeling and didn't need to shower until the next day.

For this birth, we rented the blue "born in water" birth tub (forget the brand name). I'm planning on setting it up tomorrow and actually practicing different positions for laboring. And it would be nice for dh to get in the tub with me this time (last time I didn't want anyone to touch me so he didn't get to do much).
July 17th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I had water labors with both of mine, but pushed dryly. I would like to experience an actual birth in the water next time. We'll see

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

July 18th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've had a few in the water, one in the shower, and a bunch on 'dry land' I planned a few more water births but those labors were too short to even begin to fill the pool. I like to labor in the water - the bath or shower work fine, but I really do prefer to push and deliver dry.
dannimom likes this.

Mama to:
Nick, 18
Abby, 16
Gabe, 14
Isaac, 12
Mary-Kate, 11
Sam, 9
Henry, 8
Molly, 7
Mark, 5
Greta, 4