New ... seriously considering Home Birth

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2013, 09:30 AM
Miss Bliss's Avatar Veteran
Hello ladies!

I am new to this board - my husband and I have decided to consider home birth as a very serious option for this pregnancy. This is my third child but first with my husband. We watched The Business of Being Born last night, and have convinced him that out of the hospital is the way to go. My first two deliveries were completely normal and I have just kept thinking to myself, that I can def do this at home and avoid the hospital thing completely.

I feel strongly that my last delivery included much unnecessary intervention (pitocin at 6 cm as soon as I got into the hospital for no reason - progression just fine, breaking of waters, etc) and I want to avoid that at all costs this time.

We are meeting with a doula this weekend and midwife soon after. Im very excited about taking this empowering journey and can't wait to read all of your stories and insights!

March 1st, 2013, 06:35 PM
MapleGranola's Avatar Proud Momma
Congratulations on your pregnancy and considering home birth! Hope your meetings with the doula and midwife go well. KUP!
I'm pregnant with my first, a son, and preparing for a home birth in just a few weeks as long as this anxious little boy can hold out for at least 2 more weeks

March 1st, 2013, 07:44 PM
beckiethedoula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations! I hope you find a doula and midwife you connect well with!

I'm due at the end of September with my 4th baby. This will be my second home birth. It really is so different then the hospital... I loved my birth.

I hope your pregnancy and birth go well!

March 2nd, 2013, 10:45 AM
Veteran
We have had 4 successful homebirths and are now waiting for #5 to make his/her appearance (again, at home).

I love being able to move freely about my own home and the comfort of my own bed after the birth. We usually have friends and family bring food and the midwives help with clean-up after the birth.

When we had our second, our daughter (who was 2) was present for the birth. As soon as her brother was "out", she held out her arms to hold him. They've been pretty close ever since.
#3 & 4 were born during the night, so the older kids were asleep during delivery. But I like having the option of inviting them to watch (should I so choose) without asking permission from a doctor/hospital.

Anyway, I hope you're able to try a homebirth. It's an amazing thing!
March 26th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Lovely home birth stories but please be aware of the risks involved no matter if it is your first / tenth baby. If a paediatrician was needed are the doula's/midwives trained in paediatric resus? Also major haemmorhage issues how do they cope with these? Sorry I am not trying to be negative, I am asking these questions as a practitioner who has worked within an obstetric theatre and faced these issues where medical intervention has been required ASAP so please bear in mind. Id also like to know the answers to these as it may change my perceptions to home birthing

March 26th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Lovely home birth stories but please be aware of the risks involved no matter if it is your first / tenth baby. If a paediatrician was needed are the doula's/midwives trained in paediatric resus? Also major haemmorhage issues how do they cope with these? Sorry I am not trying to be negative, I am asking these questions as a practitioner who has worked within an obstetric theatre and faced these issues where medical intervention has been required ASAP so please bear in mind. Id also like to know the answers to these as it may change my perceptions to home birthing

March 26th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Veteran
Most of us who decide to home birth have done extensive research on the subject.

With my number 2 baby I had more bleeding than I normally do. My midwives (there were two of them on hand) had medicines, tinctures, and the experience to determine how bad-off I was. They spent quite a bit of time with me to make sure all was well and were prepared to transport asap, if needed.
A lot of midwives also carry oxygen and other tools that may be needed in an emergency.

The midwives I've had (and I've had a couple of different ones over the years) have also been well trained to deal with the baby's needs.
For example, I had a friend who's baby was born at home and had swallowed meconium. The midwife (who I later used) was able to help wonderfully with that situation and the baby never needed to go to the hospital.

I think it comes down to learning all you can about your midwife, even down to getting references.
Personally, I am more comfortable with my midwife and her knowledge then I would be with a doctor who, more than likely, resorts to pitocin and c-sections at the drop of a hat.

I would encourage you, Bubba, to do some research on the subject of home birthing. There are a lot of scare tactics out there. Of course, we need to be safe with this, but for a low-risk pregnancy home birth is actually very safe.
March 26th, 2013, 01:08 PM
I appreciate all your points, when you say I should do research. I have looked into this not substantially but I have.

As I am aware midwives will have some sort of training in life support, my concerns come from what I as an anaesthetic practitioner have witnessed in a controlled environment (obstetric theatre) and I would wonder how two midwives would cope in this out of hospital environment. It is not for me home birthing but I completely understand why individuals would choose to go down this route. I personally want one less risk to worry about.

Good luck to all the home birthers, your own bed after birth is one thing I must say I would be very envious of!
March 26th, 2013, 01:09 PM
I appreciate all your points, when you say I should do research. I have looked into this not substantially but I have.

As I am aware midwives will have some sort of training in life support, my concerns come from what I as an anaesthetic practitioner have witnessed in a controlled environment (obstetric theatre) and I would wonder how two midwives would cope in this out of hospital environment. It is not for me home birthing but I completely understand why individuals would choose to go down this route. I personally want one less risk to worry about.

Good luck to all the home birthers, your own bed after birth is one thing I must say I would be very envious of!
March 26th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Miss Bliss's Avatar Veteran
Many emergent situation result from unnecessary medical interventions. I think the risk of these things would be much lower at home because you aren't being set up for failure.

April 13th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Good luck with your home birth! We are going to have our first home birth in a week or so, and I am getting so excited Our first was a great natural birth in a birth center and this time I'm using the same midwife but at home.

As far as interviewing her initially (cause we went to an OB for the first 17 weeks for #1), we asked to see her stats for transfers to hospital, c-sections, and other complications. We asked her her experience and who she works with as backup. She has 20+ years as a pedictric nurse and is a certified nurse midwife as well. So she's seen everything, basically.

During my first birth, I was upfront about my concerns and she was very attentive to my needs but assessed and made her own decisions as well. When I walked into the center and said I had some bleeding, she immediately said it could be cause for a transfer. Then she saw how much blood it was and reassured me it was normal.

If we had to transfer to the hospital from the center it would have been a 10-15 min trip. If it was an emergency (not just me needing pain meds), she would have called for an ambulance transfer and had the benefit of emt's to work on me or the baby. For my homebirth, it is about the same distance away to a different hospital.
August 18th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Innogen's Avatar Regular
Hubby and i just had our first baby in a planned homebirth with a doula and my midwives. It was the most amazing experience ever and i highly recommend it as long asou do the research. I did have higher than normal post baby bleeding but my midwives were able to get it under control after administering 2 shots of oxytocin in my leg and thus i avoided a hospital trip.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search