Why have a home birth??

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Kelllilee
  • 1 Post By Kelllilee
  • 2 Post By Kelllilee
  • 1 Post By Britt3

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2013, 10:44 AM
Veteran
I am NOT a troll, I am honestly looking for opinions. I am getting ready ttc my first child. I know someone who had her 2 children at a birthing center, but dont know anyone who has had babies at home. I watched my SIL give birth to one of her babies in a hospital, and it was surely a good thing because he wouldnt breathe, and had a lot of breathing problems for the first few weeks. (He was not pre-term, only a couple of days before his due date.) What are the pros/cons of home birth? Why did you choose it?
October 3rd, 2013, 09:57 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
A LOT of reasons.

For myself - I don't see the point of going to a hospital full of sick people to do what I can do in the comfort and safety of my home. There is definitely a comfort aspect of it - freedom to move and be an active participant in the birth, no random strangers coming in and out, no machines or needles, being able to sleep in my own comfortable bed after. On the safety side of things -Less risk of postpartum infections, less interference in the normal labor and postpartum events (such as pelvic exams and breastfeeding), lowered risk of cesareans and other labor interventions, no potential side effects from labor drugs. That said, I do feel it is important to have a good qualified midwife (or in rare cases OB) attending the delivery so that you can be transferred immediately in the event of a problem. Midwives do carry resuscitation equipment and medication that may be needed in cases like postpartum bleeding.

There are probably more reasons than that if I really sat down and thought it all out, but that covers the basics. I missed out on a homebirth this time around because of medical problems. It makes me sad but ultimately you have to do what you are comfortable with and what you feel is healthiest for you and your baby.
Britt3 likes this.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

October 4th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Veteran
How far away from a hospital do you live? (I live 2 hours away) Why did you choose home over a birthing center? My only concerns of giving birth in a birthing center are if an emergency arose- however, it seems that most of them do have priveleges at nearby hospitals (there is a really good birthing center 2 hours away from me- I literally live 2 hours from anywhere.).
October 4th, 2013, 09:22 PM
I would probably not be comfortable being that far away. My personal comfort zone is 20-30 minutes from a hospital. I have heard of moms staying in a hotel or renting a house for a few weeks or a month around delivery time to have a "home" birth while still having access to a hospital if needed.

I've actually done just about every kind of birth: Hospital, free standing birth center, home, and cesarean!

With my home birth we lived 4 blocks from the hospital. I decided on home because after my first two births (including a freestanding birth center) it felt silly to GO somewhere to do what I could just do at home. After my birth center delivery I felt sort of awkward and almost like I went out of my way - like going to a grocery store in another town instead of the one down the street. For my fourth, we live 15 minutes from either of two hospitals, so it was in my comfort zone for time. Also, shortly after my second was born the only birth center in my town closed. So there was no other choice besides home or hospital - and I wanted another water birth which was not an option a the hospital.
blaundee likes this.

October 5th, 2013, 03:53 AM
Veteran
Thanks. Did the water birth make as much of a difference on pain as people say it does?
October 5th, 2013, 07:32 AM
absolutely!! I've used water for pain relief in all of my first three births and I wouldn't do it any other way unless I had no choice
Britt3 and blaundee like this.

October 8th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Britt3's Avatar Super Mommy
what she said on everything! lol. The water made such a difference in the level of pain for me. (I've only had one birth, but the pain outside of the water compared to once I was inside the water was significant!) and ditto on everything else too.. Why take a natural, healthy event (for a low risk woman) to a hospital filled with sick people and trained surgeons, when it's not needed? A Midwife has equipment in the event of an emergency, and a woman could always be transferred if needed. And whether I was birthing at home or a hospital, I'm also not sure if I'd like the idea of being 2 hours away from a hospital either.
fromGirltoMommy likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search