Interested in a home birth for second delivery.... questions...

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 6th, 2013, 07:33 PM
RandE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok- this may get a little long and I apologize, but I am interested in going this route and have a few questions. First, a bit of background on me and my first delivery.

I had my son in a hospital setting Feb 2012. I absolutely LOVE LOVE my OB and I had a really great birth experience actually. I was induced (my choice, never again) at 40 weeks and recieved cervadil and pitocin for my labor. My hospital had a policy of no getting up and walking during induction so I was stuck in bed laying on my left side during contractions (pitocin was awful). I really feel I could have managed the contractions better had I been able to move around. I eventually got an epidural and went from 4 cm to 10 cm in about 2-3 hours. I pushed my son out after 20 minutes. It was quick and mostly easy. My nurses were very nice and helpful and my OB was awesome!

Unfortunately, for reason I cannot explain I've had PTSD type symptoms and bad anxiety when in hospital settings since his birth. I just get tense and nauseous and break out in a cold sweat the entire time I'm in one (even a nursing home or just visiting a friend). Because of this I would really like to try to avoid another hospital birth because I know I will be really anxious in a L&D suite. Anxiety is not a good friend of labor. lol

Like I said, I LOVE my OB. Is it possible to keep seeing him plus a midwife if I choose a homebirth? I had very mild gestational diabetes with my first, I'm sure I have it again. If it's mild again can I still be eligible for a homebirth? Or does my GD automatically not make me a candidate?

Sorry it's so long, thanks for making it through. Any help would be appreciated!

October 12th, 2013, 04:51 AM
fromGirltoMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm pretty sure GD, even if it is severe, doesn't risk you out of a home birth! I would say look into it. Your insurance is only going to cover you seeing one provider I would assume so you would have to out of pocket cover the costs for the other care.

Have you looked into home birth in your area?
(( 01*21*14 ))

Thy will be done through me for the highest good of all and for the true manifestation of my purpose.

in this time and in the place, I try to live with love and grace
October 12th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
My midwife doesn't automatically risk you out for GD, but it depends on severity and whether you are taking care of yourself.

I saw both a midwife and OB with my last baby. I'm not entirely sure why I ended up doing that as I had never had any problems with my pregnancies, but it ended up being a good thing because I needed an emergency early c/s. There's no reason you can't do both unless your insurance causes a problem. My midwife isn't covered by insurance so it was out of pocket.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search