Pulling on the baby and placenta.

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Earthy.Mama
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By Kelllilee

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 27th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I've immersed myself in birth stories since my BFP and I've noticed such a common occurence that I never really paid much attention to before, but.... I notice in videos and in birth stories that MWs really pull on the baby once the head is out and then I see them grabbing/pulling the placenta too.....

I don't like that much, why are they getting so hands on? We're perfectly capable of letting our bodies expel baby and placenta, what is such the rush with pulling baby and placenta out?

This is one of those things I am notating to speak to the MW about. I don't want to be touched unless I ask, I want to allow my body to do it's own thing.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC
..........Jackie..........

December 27th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
thats a good question.... My MW's always discussed delivering of the placenta with me prior to birth, so i was given the option to just wait for my body to do it on its own, or for them to encourage delivery (which i guess would be tugging/pulling) im a hands off kinda gal too, so i chose to let my body do its own thing.

its a great thing to bring up though, because i doubt many women really think about it, and honestly in the moments after birthing your sweet baby you wont likely be paying much attention to what they are doing down there (at least i wasnt)

December 27th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Exactly, after dd1 I had such a high you could have punched me in the vag and I wouldn't have noticed And I was so exhausted w/ dd2's birth ( I was really low on electrolytes and my MW never noticed this or did anything, I realize now something should have been done then... diff MW this time now)...anyway, was so exhausted that I just wanted everything to be done because all I wanted to do was sleep.

I was "happy" baby was born, but I was a zombie and just needed to sleep, I could barely move or function.

I am preparing for this birth to be the birth I've been attempting to have since I got pregnant the first time.
Britt3 and jumpingoffplace like this.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC
..........Jackie..........

December 27th, 2013, 09:59 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
With Everett, my midwife didn't do anything with him. In fact she had me breathe through a contraction because she was trying to prevent a tear. But other than that nothing. My body was amazing with Payson! I'm still in awe of it!
Earthy.Mama likes this.

December 27th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I've never had any of my midwives (I've had three different ones) pull on baby or the cord/placenta! It never even occurred to me...
Earthy.Mama likes this.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 30th, 2013, 04:58 AM
Britt3's Avatar Super Mommy
My mw didn't do that either- but was definitely more hands on than I had originally planned. But I was also extremely exhausted and didn't give a care to what she and my douhla were doing. I also passed out shortly after my son was born and they couldn't even wake me during the night to nurse- they had to put him on me themselves. (I couldn't keep anything down when they were giving me stuff I needed).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search