High risk pregnancy and home birth?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 18th, 2006, 02:18 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Wondering if anyone has had a high risk pregnancy and a home birth. How do you go about finding someone who will see you or is this even a possibility?

I have had preterm labor with my last three pregnancies. I also have had gestational diabetes with two and placenta abruption/emergency csection with one. I would love to have a home birth. I just don't think that I could find somebody to see me. How would you go about this if you were high risk? And honest opinions, do you think that this is just a bad idea for me.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
October 18th, 2006, 03:14 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
I know that as a general rule, because of insurance purposes a high risk pregnancy would not be an option for most lay midwifes. I dont know if a midwife would be able to see you or not. I think that your best bet would be to contact the lay midwifes in your area to ask if anyone would attend to a highrisk pregnancy and birth. Just because your others were high risk though, doesnt always mean that your next one has to be, right? I am pretty sure that a VBAC should not be a reason to deny homebirth if you found the right midwife. Transfer is always an option as well, if anything doesnt fall right into place the way it should. That is ALWAYS something that you have to take into consideration when having a homebirth if you are high risk or not. I hope that helps!

</div>
October 18th, 2006, 03:31 PM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree, I think you should look around at midwives, I know plenty who do VBAC, and gestational diabetes is something that can be managed with care from a midwife. Also, PTL wouldn't exclude you, provided the baby would stay in till 35 weeks, I mean if it came before that, you would obviously have to go to the hospital, I think homebirth is DEFINATELY an option for you.
October 18th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
A friend of mine had a C-sec, and is planning a home birth for her next child. Our hospitals wont consider a VBAC, to my knowledge, that thats the only route. I think a home-birth is a deff. possiblity, granted the baby stays in at least close to full term.
October 18th, 2006, 06:50 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know that in my area midwives can take high risk moms though many choose not to for liability purposes. Here midwives are forced by law to either work in conjunction with doctors or be laymidwives which are (unfortunately) illegal in Illinois.
VBAC is no reason at all to deny care, in fact I'd say it's even more of a reason to shoot for a homebirth. At home your labor is less likely to stall and if it does there's not as much pressure to keep it moving. At a hospital or birth center if your labor stalls they will either give you a pit drip or some cervidil, both of which are known to cause super contractions and uterine rupture. Because of this I firmly believe that it is more dangerous to give birth in a hospital or birth center than it is to give birth at home.
Keep in mind that transfer is always an option for all homebirthers. Even if you haven't had prenatal care an ER cannot deny you because of prior care status.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

October 18th, 2006, 09:52 PM
UndaCovaSis's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As everyone said, it will depend largely on your state's laws.

For my midwife, she had a set guidelines when she had to make a referral to the physician. Placenta problems, GD, and preterm labour are all cases where my midwife would have had to refer me to a doctor. The doctor would then have to advice the best route to take.

For preterm labour, that's something you'd have to watch for and then address if the issue arises. A midwife might be upset because of their payment. My midwife get's paid after the birth. If she sees me for say the first 30 weeks and I switch to a doctor, she doesn't get paid. This may be a factor.

For the gestational diabetes, I don't even think that reall matters. I know legally the my midwife wuld have to refer, but in my research it's something that creates more problem then good. I think GTT should be thrown out. My midwife said if it can be easily managed, then she'd still be able to see a patient. I didn't even take the test .

Placenta problems are serious business !! I have no idea what to say about that one. VBAC can still be handled by a midwife (insurance and state legislation may vary).

So Crunchy
October 18th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Like it was said before it has a lot to do with state laws and insurane stuff. It also depends a lot on the midwife and how comfortable she feels about such stuff. And about how comfortable you feel having a homebirth and the caregiver you decide to go with.

I'm not sure I think it's a bad idea for you. I know of mothers who would be considered highrisk and still have safe homebirths. My SIL is prone to hemeaging and she had 5 homebirths safely. I go through the same midwife as her and completely trust the her and her judgments.

My best advice would be to contact a midwife and actually sit down and talk with them one-on-one and see if she would think it would be a good idea for you.
October 19th, 2006, 12:40 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Quote:
I know that in my area midwives can take high risk moms though many choose not to for liability purposes. Here midwives are forced by law to either work in conjunction with doctors or be laymidwives which are (unfortunately) illegal in Illinois.
VBAC is no reason at all to deny care, in fact I'd say it's even more of a reason to shoot for a homebirth. At home your labor is less likely to stall and if it does there's not as much pressure to keep it moving. At a hospital or birth center if your labor stalls they will either give you a pit drip or some cervidil, both of which are known to cause super contractions and uterine rupture. Because of this I firmly believe that it is more dangerous to give birth in a hospital or birth center than it is to give birth at home.
Keep in mind that transfer is always an option for all homebirthers. Even if you haven't had prenatal care an ER cannot deny you because of prior care status.[/b]
I just wanted to clarify. My labor didn't stall with my son. My first two were vaginal births. My third was a csection. He was born at 33 weeks after my placenta abrupted. They couldn't stop my labor and when he went into distress they did an emergency csection. I would not have had a csection if it were my choice and I am still a little sensitive about this. I wish that I had never had to have a csection but I am grateful that my son is healthy.

I am going to take your advice and start looking around. I would like it if I could try to do this and then if I started having complications during my pregnancy to have the option to see a doctor. I don't want to put my baby's health at risk to have a home birth but it is something I would really love to be able to do. I am sort of jealous of the ladies that have had successful homebirths.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
October 19th, 2006, 02:41 PM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well good for you!!! I'm a big believer in going after what you want. Nearly everything is possible with some stubborness and the right attitude!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search