Could anything stand in your way?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 18th, 2006, 03:17 PM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Since deciding on my homebirth, I become a little more convicted every day....I was wondering if you are planning a homebirth or have already had one, what would prevent you from doing it? What for you would warrant a transfer?

For me, the only thing would be cord prolapse or unstoppable hemmorage...I really don't think the hemorage thing would ever happen, I'm the fastest clotter in the world! LOL! I would deliver a breech at home, I have full trust in that situation, but I would transfer for a transverse baby obviously...
October 18th, 2006, 03:22 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
I too would transfer for a transverse baby that would not turn, but I would first do what I could with positioning and stretching to see if I could get the baby to turn. I think that extensive hemorrhaging is another good reason for transfer, as well as cord prolapse or placental previa. I feel that a woman's intuition can be very strong, and you will most likely "feel" that something isnt right. One of the many perks to giving birth drug free. I would transfer if my body was telling me that I needed to, and I could feel that something was not right.

</div>
October 18th, 2006, 07:06 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would have transfered if baby had spina bifida - the difference between a spina bifida baby born by c-section and a spina bifida baby born naturally is baby's ability to walk... I think it would be selfish of my to take away the opportunity. Other than that, placenta previa or abruption, maybe cord prolapse (I might just tuck it back up and keep going depending on what my gut says), and definitely if my instinct says transfer.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

October 18th, 2006, 09:36 PM
UndaCovaSis's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would say anything that is very serious. While I was 9cms the midwife *thought* there might be meconimum in the waters (seriously poor lighting in my house OR she just thought I was risky...I sortta questioned her on her thoughts about me actually ebing able to birth at home)...well I said no, I didn't want to transfer. She didn't have the equipment for this problem BUT it was so close to time ...it was either now or never.

After the birth, I did hemorrage (I was given like three shots for it...oxytocin and the anti hemoragin medicine) a small amount. Forunately, throughout the entire birth my midwife was making me drink lots of fluids and even though I didnt want to drink, I did. I drank sooo much juice during the labour and immediately after the labour that I had to potty 4 times within two hours of giving birth. lol Sorry...I am rambling...

One thing that people tried to hold against me was my weight. There is some mentality that fat people just can't have babies vaginally or something. In fact, we had a small discussion about this and I had to sign a waiver. The waiver was actually for two things....the most important thing was my rejection of taking a glucose tolerance test. I knew I was not diabetic and so therefore I saw no point in the arbitrary test.

So Crunchy
October 19th, 2006, 05:18 AM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's kind of funny, the way you said that. I totally know what you mean though, my friend was bullied into a c-section and the underlying reasons were all about her weight, but then on one of those terrible maternity hospital shows there was a doc doing a c-sec on a rather overweight woman and he was complainging on how difficult it was, and I'm like, WELL MORON, IF YOU'D LET HER BIRTH! AND NOT STRAPPED HER TO A BED ON A BACK AND STRESSED HER OUT, SHE WOULD HAVE HAD THE BABY ON HER OWN!

It's sad to see that the anorexic model culture has even influenced our caregivers/birth tenders.... v
October 19th, 2006, 08:07 AM
momma6_2angels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's horrible.

The only reasons I would transfer would be prolapse of the cord, placenta previa, an abruption, heartrate getting too low, transverse, or me hemmoraging.

I've been snowballed!!!(CoveredinMommy Iowajenny x2, alpinedoe, shelly e, skittles4you, jbcrmommy, nicolee, ecstaticmommy)
</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search