Your family?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 18th, 2006, 10:00 PM
UndaCovaSis's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What did your family say about your choice to have a homebirth?

My mom was a bit upset, but she tried her very best to be the best support she could be. In the end, she fell in love with my midwife and her back up! My sister wants a midwife and homebirth for her next kiddo. hehe

So Crunchy
October 18th, 2006, 10:32 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hm, Mom was terrified for me - but has learned that I just like adventures and there isn't much she can do to hold me back.

Dad was also scared, out of fatherly concern for my safety. We live only 3 blocks from the hospital - so when we assured him that I would be transfered if *anything* seemed problematic, he kept quiet.

My brothers mostly thought it was weird, my sisters thought it was cool.
October 18th, 2006, 10:59 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
If I were doing it with a MW, then my family would be all about it.... its the unassisted part that they dont like.

</div>
October 18th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
At first my mom was cool with it... then about a week after I told her... she calls me on the phone and says... I don't think you should do it... especially for your first one. I tell her I'll get her some information on it, but she was still leary. My grandmother was also worried about it. They both felt it was unsafe... until my Grandfather came in and said... "Hey my mom and me and my seven brothers in sisters in that bedroom over there (they were at my grandparents house that his father had built) and we all were fine and healthy!" That totally got them to shut up.
October 19th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
My mom is very supportive, and my dad is scared but knows I will do what I want to do

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

October 19th, 2006, 05:10 AM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom is leary, for no good reason. She was going to do a HB with my little brother, so I don't know what her deal is, I think she's just pissed I won't let her come LOL! My dad thinks it's pretty cool, but he's not giving me a lot of feedback till he's sure I won't change my mind (years of conditioning by raising fickle teenage girls) My Inlaws are way cooler about it than I gave them credit for.
October 19th, 2006, 08:22 AM
momma6_2angels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom was really wary of it at first but in time, was fine with it. I think it was because this is the first homebirth in our family (at least since our ancestors did it).

I can bet my inlaws were not happy but kept it to themselves because they know how stubborn I am. With my 4th child i kept talking about wanting a homebirth but they thought birth was so dangerous because his mom had complications with three children.

My husbands aunt was really supportive!

I have no clue what anyone else thought.

I've been snowballed!!!(CoveredinMommy Iowajenny x2, alpinedoe, shelly e, skittles4you, jbcrmommy, nicolee, ecstaticmommy)
</div>
October 19th, 2006, 09:14 AM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom and Dad are supportive because they know I know what to do in almost any situation and I know where to get answers for things that I don't already know. Suprisingly my mom's mom told me (without any attempt on my part to educate her) that she was supportive of me 100% because "I just don't think some of those doctors really know what they're doing".

My inlaws and extremely skeptical and uncomfortable and try to sway me all the time by asking questions to which they think I won't know the answer. Unfortunately for them I have known the answers to every question they've asked so far and I always have sources to back me up.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

October 19th, 2006, 03:53 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, they were all very concerned. But knew that they had better keep their mouth shut if they wanted to be kept informed. My grandfather loved the idea as he and all of his siblings were born at home with assitance for only a few. Go Granny Jack!

Now that they have seen it work and I am training to be a homebirth midwife they all have more respect for it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search