For those who are First-timers

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 18th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
For those of you who are having a homebirth for the first time, or if your just curious about homebirthing, what are some of you questions or concerns about having a baby at home?

I'm sure some of the BTDT moms would love to help you ease some of your minds!
October 19th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
whew i'm more than curious.... i'm about convinced its what i want to do...
Some of my questions: how hard is it to set up sonograms appts, without an OB,a nd getting things like the birth certificate...
and can you convince my dh for me?

October 19th, 2006, 07:34 AM
momma6_2angels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Getting the birth certificate is different all over! In my state it's a little difficult. In other states it's easy.

I never needed a sonogram but if I had, my mw would of contacted an ob so they could do it and she would of been right there too.

I had my dh talk to the mw. My mind had been made up already!

I've been snowballed!!!(CoveredinMommy Iowajenny x2, alpinedoe, shelly e, skittles4you, jbcrmommy, nicolee, ecstaticmommy)
</div>
October 19th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
LOL convincing your DH might be the hard part! But seriously make him do some reading... I recomend The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth... but then again.. you've probably heard that before!

As for Sonograms... I had one with Xander but that's because I had to go to the hospital a month before he was born as a just in case (let me tell you that was an experience). My SIL (also a homebirther) also had to get one because there was some questions about the due date. With Lucas and Aiden I never had any. My midwife knows a woman who does them. My suggestion to you would be to talk to the midwife you're thinking about going through and see what she has lined up for that. It might be one of the questions you want to ask before you decide on what caregiver to go through. If it's important for you to have a sonogram make sure the midwife you choose has the means neccessary to give you one.

As to the birth certificate the midwife takes care of that for you. If you go through a midwife. At least it's that easy for me in my state. It's probably a good idea to ask about this with your midwife to, or check the states policies. Just remember they can't not give you a birth certificate. They might make you run through hopes... but the state will give you one. They want to keep track of their citizens too. If you're having an unassisted homebirth talk to your local health department about what you have to do to get one in your state. They might give you a hard time (if they tell you you can't get a birthcertificate with a unassisted homebirth, ask to talk to a supervisor)... but in the end... they're going to give you one.
October 19th, 2006, 08:13 AM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Of all the things you asked about - DH is def. the hardest. But never fear! There are some great sites for homebirth info (one made especially for dads!), and great support sites for you while you discuss with him. I'll focus on the former since the latter is where you are right now!

http://www.unassistedhomebirth.com/fathers/

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Estates...unassisted.html

http://www.homebirth.org.uk/

http://www.purebirth-australia.com/

There are so many other sites that he can look at, some with vital statistics showing lower infant and maternal mortality rates for homebirth. These are a great start! And ladies who know, please add to this list, if more women knew where to go to educate themselves and their SO's I firmly believe that we would see a rise in the homebirth rate!
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

October 19th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i really honestly think he will come around. he's not hostile to it, just afraid. Thank you ladies, i've got some reading to do!

October 19th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Let us know if you need any more... I have some great book ideas and websites. It also might help if you let him read some homebirth stories.
April 25th, 2007, 11:22 AM
CTK3989's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not pregnant or TTC but I want to have an unassisted homebirth with my next child. I have a few questions though.

1. How do I cut the umbilical cord?
2. How do I weigh and measure the baby?
3. Do I have to go to the hospital afterwards or call a medical official?
4. How does the child get a birth certificiate?
5. How do I find out more info about having a homebirth?

I may have more questions later on. Thanks ladies.

April 25th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
I am due July 4 07 and I plan to have my baby in the hospital, an hour away from home. I do lurk here often though, I think you are all so brave and I envy you! I have 3 children, this is #4, and my first planned Natural Birth. DH & I plan to lock ourselves in the bathroom and just give birth in their shower and say "Oops" and I have been asked, "Well why don't you just have a homebirth if you plan to go through all that?" I have honestly thought about it, and it scares me right now, I just want to get through my first Natural Birth, and maybe a homebirth for the next two, still not sure yet. Our home is STILL (after 13 years of DH owning it) unfinished, so, no, I don't feel comfy here. I love my midwife and the place I intend to have Jennica, so that is what I plan to do. I know locking ourselves in the bathroom is a bit extreme, and it might not happen like that, but I want DH to catch his daughter. I REALLY want a lotus birth, the more I look into it. Right now my midwife is asking the hospital their POV on that, because she thinks they consider the placenta to be "Medical Waste" and might not allow it. I was hoping for more info on lotus births, and what I can do to get out of the "Medical waste" thing.
April 26th, 2007, 12:35 AM
1. How do I cut the umbilical cord? with scissors that have been sterilized (soaked in alcohol or boiled). You can buy clamps or you can tie it off with whatever you have handy.
2. How do I weigh and measure the baby? I used a fish scale - $17 dollars at walmart - to weigh babe. I hooked a sling to it and let it zero out then set DD in the sling.
3. Do I have to go to the hospital afterwards or call a medical official? No there's really no need unless you think there's a problem.
4. How does the child get a birth certificiate? I went in to the county registrars office and filled out some paperwork. Then Greg signed the certificate and we had a witness sign it and we were done!
5. How do I find out more info about having a homebirth? There are some really excellent sites, unhindered living has a homebirth section that is huge and very informative. Laura Shanleys site is currently ok, used to be excellent. I'd say google is a pretty safe bet and asking on here is always a great way to get new sites!
Good luck, HTH!
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

April 27th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Regular
wow this is pretty interesting
April 27th, 2007, 06:40 AM
CTK3989's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
1. How do I cut the umbilical cord? with scissors that have been sterilized (soaked in alcohol or boiled). You can buy clamps or you can tie it off with whatever you have handy.
2. How do I weigh and measure the baby? I used a fish scale - $17 dollars at walmart - to weigh babe. I hooked a sling to it and let it zero out then set DD in the sling.
3. Do I have to go to the hospital afterwards or call a medical official? No there's really no need unless you think there's a problem.
4. How does the child get a birth certificiate? I went in to the county registrars office and filled out some paperwork. Then Greg signed the certificate and we had a witness sign it and we were done!
5. How do I find out more info about having a homebirth? There are some really excellent sites, unhindered living has a homebirth section that is huge and very informative. Laura Shanleys site is currently ok, used to be excellent. I'd say google is a pretty safe bet and asking on here is always a great way to get new sites!
Good luck, HTH![/b]
Thank you for answering my questions. I appreciate it.

Chelci

April 27th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Hey There's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not pregnant and really not planning on getting pregnant until the fall. I am definitely going to have a homebirth and I lurk here often. My question is how did you choose your midwife? Is it more important to go with experience or personal preference. I ask because in my area there are 2 midwives. One is very experienced (done about 50 homebirths) and the other is fairly new. I haven't met them so this might be a silly question but just from reading their websites, I seem to have more of a rapore with the less experienced one ie. the same philosphy, simliar backgrounds...I guess this is a really long drawn out way of asking if it's better to go with comfort over experience or vice versa? I also have a comment for people that are talking about the cost. We have set up a health savings account. We put money in it every month for the birth and can then use the money for the midwife, homebirth even prenatal vitamins! It's also tax deductible so something that you should look into. Just a suggestion. Thanks for the great information.
April 28th, 2007, 07:52 AM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There are homebirth meetups here, google mettups, they meet once a month to talk birth and kids and family, it would be a great way to talk to the clients of your prospective MW's and see what their take is on it. 50 doesn't sound like very much at all to me, so I'd say theya re about even. My MW has attended over 500 births and handled breech, twins, cord prlapse, etc, even caught her own twins all by herself. SHe also has 10 children, HTAT is expereienced in my eyes. Basically I think you need to know that they are comfrtable with whatever will happen, and know what they would do with any complication that arose. Ask lots of questions, and go with your heart and gut.
April 28th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I'd go with the midwife you click with over experience any day. It is very important to fully trust your midwife and have a great rapport with her.

1. How do I cut the umbilical cord? I used regular old scissors.

2. How do I weigh and measure the baby? My midwife used a scale that has a cloth part the baby goes in and hangs down in. I also have a baby scale I got for like $15 on clearance at Wal-Mart when Ani was a baby. I use that to weigh my babies each month. It would work for a newborn. To measure, just use a tape measure.

3. Do I have to go to the hospital afterwards or call a medical official? No. Fritz didn't even go to the ped until he was 4 months old and we only took him then because he was having issues (allergies). The only caveat to that is for birth certificate purposes if necessary. See next answer.

4. How does the child get a birth certificiate? This depends on your state. What I had to do in VA is call the local health department and get the form to apply for the certificate of live birth. Then I filled out the form and sent it in. One of the things needed was a signature for someone who attended the birth and could swear the baby was born. Depending on your state you may need that to be a medical professional. In VA it can be anyone, including the mother or father. My aunt signed since she was at the birth and happened to come over the day I was filling the form out. Once the form was completed I sent it to the state Dept. of Health and they recorded it and I paid my $12 to get a certified copy of his birth certificate. They never blinked an eyelash at me filing it. Well, except for returning the initial request for a copy of the certificate saying they couldn't be sure my husband was the father of the child because they couldn't identify him by the copy of his driver's license so they didn't know if they should send the certificate to us. This was done by mail so how they would have been able to know it was him anyway, who knows. We ended up copying three or four of his IDs and they sent us the certificate. That was pretty strange but had nothing to do with filing the certificate of live birth form.

5. How do I find out more info about having a homebirth? Find other people who have had homebirths, talk to midwives, read.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 30th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Hey There's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just wanted to say I meant to type 500 homebirths (accodring to her website). Whoops. Thanks for the insight. I'm sure I'll be around for more advice when the actual need arises.
April 30th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Super Mommy
I'm currently pregnant with my second and planning my first homebirth. I've done enough reading at this point that I don't have a ton of questions, except how do deal with questions and statements from people who have obviously not done quite so much reading. How do you respond to things like, wow you're brave. What will you do if something goes wrong? or don't you think that's kind of selfish?

and these are coming from people who are pretty supportive of me and my choices, so I really don't want to say anything super confrontational or aggressive. And this is still pretty early in the pregnancy so I'm sure that I've got a lot more of the same coming. How did you chose to respond to these kind of things?

May 5th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Chipko - This is the really tough part, because you don't want to alienate people but they need to know the facts. I know it can be like walking a tight rope. To the "wow you're brave" comment, I usually say no I'd have to be brave to give birth in a hospital as they terrify me. "What will you do if something goes wrong" - the same thing I'd do if I were in labor and going to give birth in a hospital, call 911 and go. The "don't you think that's kind of selfish" comment really gets to me and here's why: women will go their entire pregnancy without taking so much as an ibuprofen because "it's bad for the baby" but the second you go to the hospital they want you on every chemical known to mankind, pain killers, oxytoxics, whatever... At home you are allowing you baby the chance to be born without a bunch of crap in it's system and without the risk of potentially lethal (and other times just obnoxious) hospital acquired infections like TB, croup, influenza, and MRSI (medically resistant staph infection). What's so selfish about that? I guess the best short response is to simply say "what's selfish about wanting what you think is best for your child?" but the bottom line is people who are looking for a fight will find it wherever, so you may as well speak your mind. Those who are supportive and loving will make a way to understand and those who want an argument will either have to get over it or be told to go argue with someone else.

May 29th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
My answer to "don't you think that's selfish" would be:
Nope, I think that I'm doing everything I can to protect my baby from unnecessary and dangerous interventions and germs that are very common in hospitals. In the process, I'm guaranteeing that I won't have any pharmacological pain relief during my labor. I think putting up with labor pain for the sake of my baby's health and well being is pretty darn unselfish, thanks.

That's the nice answer. The not so nice answer would be to f-off. Anyone who asks if something I'm doing as a parent is selfish obviously doesn't think very highly of me or my parenting abilities. How could they possibly think that I'm putting myself in front of my child when everything I do in my entire life is for that child?!?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search