Nervous Today

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 20th, 2006, 08:23 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, our homebirthing practises are a little weird I guess. Because our midwife is from Montana (and we're in Alberta), I do all my prenatal care with my regular family physician/OB - the guy who delivered our first two in hospital. Our midwife comes for the homebirth, and then I follow-up with my regular doctor again after. She's 3 hours away, so this arrangement just makes more sense. And in the event of a hospital transfer, I would get my regular OB who knows me and my history - not left at the mercy of whoever happens to be on call. My regular doctor was respectful of our decision to homebirth, even if he didn't support it. I can appreciate respect.

Well, my regular doctor isn't doing deliveries anymore. That's cool, hopefully we won't need him anyway. But just in case we do need to transfer, I would still feel better if I was officially under the care of a doctor who knows me. So I have been referred to another OB in his office for the remaining weeks of pregnancy. I meet her today.

I'm just so freaked out that she's going to be rude or condescending. I really hate that. If all goes well, it won't even be an issue because we won't be going to the hospital - but I don't any extra worries at this stage of the game!

*UPDATE* I worried for nothing. She was very respectful. However, her nurse told me to strip down because Dr. W likes to start examining her patients around 35 weeks and do the Group B Strep test. I said, "Thanks, I'd really prefer to MEET her with my clothes on and if we decide to proceed under her care - she can do that next time." What if she had turned out to be everything I was scared of? I would have felt way less confident about asserting myself without my pants on!
October 20th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I totally understand where your coming from. I understand how you want get to 'know' the person who might help you bring your little one in the world, even just as a precaution. I hope everything goes well and she's supportive of you!
October 20th, 2006, 09:35 AM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good lUCk!! I hope she's wonderful!! If not at least you can come back here and RANT!
October 20th, 2006, 10:16 AM
momma6_2angels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good luck!!!

I've been snowballed!!!(CoveredinMommy Iowajenny x2, alpinedoe, shelly e, skittles4you, jbcrmommy, nicolee, ecstaticmommy)
</div>
October 20th, 2006, 11:11 AM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good luck, I hope to hear something positive when you get back!
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

October 20th, 2006, 12:49 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
see update
October 20th, 2006, 02:32 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so glad you didn't have that pants down exam! That is just crazy! Wow! Now you can relax...glad she was respectful.

October 20th, 2006, 05:31 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
I know where you are coming from too. I am 25w along, and I havent even began to talk to my MW about our plans. I still need to feel her out a little more before I start asking her how she feels about just doing my prenatal care and not doing my delivery. If I dont feel that I can fully trust her by the end of the pregnancy, then I guess we just wont tell her. We will just never call in labor.

</div>
October 21st, 2006, 07:51 AM
momma6_2angels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad you had a positive experience and good for you for standing your ground!

I've been snowballed!!!(CoveredinMommy Iowajenny x2, alpinedoe, shelly e, skittles4you, jbcrmommy, nicolee, ecstaticmommy)
</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search