Excerpt from Baby Center

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 21st, 2006, 12:25 PM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OK, I don't usually read "mainstream" parenting and baby mags cause they ussually piss me off. I read mothering if I need a fix. However, I got the third trimester issue in the mail and they had an article...Childbirth Secrets, What brand new moms wish they'd known.

i figured it would make me mad but I decided to read it anyway..

Five moms:

Jen: Uber-prepared, Hypnobirther. Epi free and delivered in under four hours.

Rachel: "go with the flow mom" didn't have a birth plan, got an emergency c-section.

Roberta: HOme birth

Gina: Big baby, scheduled induction, but baby came day before teh appt. HAH!

Maya: "High Risk mom" Diabetes and hypertension. An induction, 30 hours of labor, emergency c-section

Maya said that she was surpised about her lack of control, even though she didn't expect much to begin with. She was hoocked up to monitors and IV's and THEN informed she couldn't get out of bed.

She was induced at 37 weeks because of her diabetes. PIll on cervix, which didn't work followed by foley catheter, to open her cervix, which didn't work, followed by pitocin, which after 30 hours, had only gotten to 3 cent. Did her body malfunction? Heck no, THE BABY WASN'T READY TO COME OUT!!!!!!! Then the babies heart rate started dropping, well, duh, pitocin is hard on a baby. So she had to be cut open.

One of the other women, her nurse wouldn't let her out of bed, she talked about how unnatural lying down felt, but couldn't do anything about it.

Oh, and Steven, Maya's husband. What he said about birth.

"After it's over, you'll be a fifth-class citizen-just below pond scum. Few nurses will recognize you and fewer will ask how you're doing. "It's normal to feel agonized and helpless."

I'm sory, I would just never want my husband to come away with feelings like those after something that is SUPPOSED To be so beautiful.

A couple of them reported good feelings about the whole experience, and .like they're nurses and docs. Heck, Rachel says, next time she'll skip labor and get a scheduled c-section.......

This article was so surprisingly anti-medical establishment that I was surprised they published it. but glad they did, cause these things are so common, and we should know what we are getting into.

So glad I'm doing a homebirth.......
October 21st, 2006, 02:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Mmhmm... the poor dad who said he felt lower then pond scum, that doesn't really happen with a homebirth now does it?
October 21st, 2006, 03:04 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
Thanks for sharing Abbey... I wonder how many women just skipped right over that article and never really saw the true meaning in it....

</div>
October 21st, 2006, 08:10 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I avoid mainstream alot too so that is really refreshing to see! I feel so badly for dads and moms who are expecting an "experience" that will leave them fulfilled. It's kind of heartbreaking that they get the wake-up call that doctors and nurses don't have time to care when they really need help.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

October 22nd, 2006, 06:33 AM
momma6_2angels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I read some mainstream magazines to be honest but get irritated with some things. I feel bad for that dad.

I've been snowballed!!!(CoveredinMommy Iowajenny x2, alpinedoe, shelly e, skittles4you, jbcrmommy, nicolee, ecstaticmommy)
</div>
October 25th, 2006, 04:05 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Poor dad!

November 2nd, 2006, 04:11 PM
Brittainy412's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I remember that article... I walked away expecting nothing from the hospital....
Member of the May 2006 Playroom</span></div></div><div align="center">Wanting to Concieve, but Waiting to Try</div><div align="center">Don't like the Police? Next time you are in trouble...Call a crack head!</div><div align="center">A Very Warm THANK YOU to Fingerscrossed for this beautiful signature graphic.</div><div align="center"><div align='center'></div></div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search