Herbals!

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 23rd, 2006, 08:09 AM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Any of you smart ladies have any herbal expertise? Being that I trust docs less every day, and I want to not introduce any more drugs than necessary to the baby, I'd like to learn more about herbs and tinctures and stuff for pregnancy, labor, delivery, aftercare......even if you just know a really kick butt tea, that would be great too!

Ok here's a question, on my HBMW list, it says i need goldenseal and comphrey, why?
October 23rd, 2006, 08:17 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd like more info on what exactly they do, what is black and blue cohosh.... how do they speed labor

October 23rd, 2006, 09:36 AM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know why the cohoshes do what they do, and actually a lot of the women on my other board don't like them not because they are harsh just because they don't work. Some midwives swear by them though so I'm up in the air on it.

The goldenseal would probably be used for cord care - like hospitals have you use alcohol swabs to help dry out the cord and help the end of it clot after it's been cut. I'm planning on using honey for the end of it (if we don't lotus) and witch hazel. I don't have any real preference, just that those two are easier to find.

I haven't heard a lot about comphrey but a couple of women I know say that rinsing tears with comphrey tea will help them heal faster and hurt less. I would assume that's why it's on your list.

My favourite herbals are herbal iron and gentle birth formula (similar to Natures Sunshine 5-W blend), I get both from the same supplier (actually where I get all my herbs - mountainmeadowherbs.com) and I've felt great since I started taking them. I always buy tinctures (they cured my allergies and now I swear by them) and I don't take either the iron or the birth formula as directed. Directions say to mix 1/4 teaspoon with water and drink it, I prefer to take the drops directly under my tongue and hold for fifteen seconds, then drink a glass of water. But that's just me.

Herbs that I think should be at every birth are Shephard's Purse and Dong Quai (Chinese Angelica) as they are both clotting agents. Shephards Purse cannot be taken before the placenta is released, but the Dong Quai can be taken beforehand and it will help the placenta detach. Other than that it's all personal preference. Susun Weed wrote a called Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year I haven't read (I'm poor and my library sucks but I can find enough info online that I'm over it) but other crunchy moms I know swear by it.

The other thing that I like the idea of having at birth - essential oils. Especially those that help contractions - Jasmine and lavendar are my favourites! I've asked a massage therapy student I know if she would be comfortable coming and doing massage for me using these oils while I'm in labor. She says yes, so now it's just a matter of availability.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

October 23rd, 2006, 09:58 AM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
I didnt ahve comfrey or goldenseal on my list for last October, no idea, better ask A.

I loved the After Ease tincture I bought from the same woman who sold me the birth kit, here is the link: http://www.preciousarrows.com/naturalproducts3.htm

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

October 23rd, 2006, 01:09 PM
MRS PIL, I AM ALLERGIC TO AIR!!! Share your hippie wisdom, how'd you get over that?
October 23rd, 2006, 01:19 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have really awful hay fever and pollen allergies as well as animal dander. I used homeopathic drops one summer because I had tried everything else and nothing helped. Some of the meds the doctor gave me got me started on two years of nasty throat infections too... Different story though. SO I used the BioAllers Pollen/Hayfever drops and the pet dander drops. I used them every day that summer and it completely controlled my allergies and they have simply never returned.

I had a touch of a reaction this year to my MIL's cats and I used some of the drops then but it didn't help as much because I'm also allergic to smoke and both MIL and FIL smoke packs a day. Nasty!

Anyway homeopathic allergy drops work like allergy shots, they give you a tiny dose of what you are allergic too mixed in with water and grain alcohol. Whenever you have an attack take anywhere from five to fifteen drops under the tongue and hold them there for 10 seconds then swallow. You can repeat this as many times as you need too and because there are no "drugs" involved it's safe for pregnant women.

Oh and I forgot to mention in my original reply that slippery elm bark works for heartburn!
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

October 23rd, 2006, 03:31 PM
Sweet! yeah I got skin tested at the allergist and I am allergic to darn near everything!!! I am supposed to get the shots but after the first one I felt so bad i never went back, I will def try your solution!!
October 23rd, 2006, 07:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've been put on a lot of herbs in my past three pregnancies and during labor and after. Well not so much during except for raspberry leaf with Aiden to try to kick start my labor a little more.

With Goldenseal it's most likely for cord-care... like someone said above. My midwife had it and she used it only once after they were born. You don't want to use it too much or the cord might dry up too fast and fall off before its ready.

Camfry helps with healing I think. It was in the herbal bath that my midwife gave me after the baby was born.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search