Meconium in the waters

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 30th, 2006, 08:33 AM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
To worry or not to worry? I personally don't go along with the blanket assumption that it's always a deadly situation as depicted by shows like Birth Day...but then I found a site that actually discusses the different meanings and how to decifer them, since we all give birth at home, many unnasissted, i thought it would be good to include this link.....

meconium
sorry you actually have to scroll down and click on the meconium link...
October 30th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That's a great article... thanks for posting it.

With Xander he passed maconium and he was in distress. I didn't even know this until after he was born. Right before I pushed him out I remember my midwife saying push as if you're trying to save your baby's life. She was so super calm that I just thought she was trying to help me with pushing him out... not that she actually meant it that way. As soon as she said that I was able to push out his head with the next push. Heh... like I said I didn't even know what was going on until I was talking with the midwifes assistant and she told me we wouldn't have even had time to transport to the hospital. I had to get him out right then or there or things would've gotten even scarier. He was fine and we didn't have to transfer at all... they were able to suction everything out really easily.

If you read Aiden's birth story then you know that he also had maconium but that was because he was post term. I wish I would have been able to read that article before I had him though. It really freaked me out when my midwife said there were flecks of maconium because of what happened with Xander. She had to calm me down and explain it to me!
October 30th, 2006, 10:17 AM
yeah, i used to watch maternity ward ALL THE TIME, like every day when I was PG with DD. I totally beleived that it was always an emergency, never even occured to me otherwise till I started reading all these birth stories where that happens and it's no big deal.
October 30th, 2006, 12:52 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not one to freak out over that - I don't think I would transfer for meconium staining, at least not unless baby's heartrate was slowing... Reminds me I need to get a doppler for the birth. Anyhow, I don't see it as a huge deal particularly not if you're going to be breastfeeding. Variations of normal KWIM?
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

October 30th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Yep!
October 31st, 2006, 05:55 AM
momma6_2angels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That was a neat site, thank you for sharing!!

I've been snowballed!!!(CoveredinMommy Iowajenny x2, alpinedoe, shelly e, skittles4you, jbcrmommy, nicolee, ecstaticmommy)
</div>
November 4th, 2006, 11:32 AM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aidan had meconium and I didn't even know about it at all. I transferred to a homebirth midwife at 20 weeks with Kaelin and saw it when I was looking at my medical records.
November 4th, 2006, 06:19 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not somethign Ive ever had to deal with personally, but I certainly dont consider it an emergency. Again, just a variation of normal. But yes, OBs tend to freak, esp on those high drama birth shows lol. After all, if they dont make a big deal out of it, theyd have to fish for something else to make a big deal over.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
November 4th, 2006, 09:14 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
It CAN be a sign of distress, but really ONLY if it is accompanied by other signs of distress. I think they make way too big of a deal out of it! Thanks for the article Abbey, you always find the best ones!

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search