A Few Excerpts In Favor of Homebirth

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 31st, 2006, 06:19 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
Neonatal Outcomes: Hospital vs. Homebirth In the hospital, 3.7 times as many babies required resuscitation. Infection rates of newborns were 4 times higher in the hospital. There was 2.5 times as many cases of meconium aspiration pneumonia in the hospital group. There were 6 cases of neonatal lungwater syndrome in the hospital and none at home. There were 30 birth injuries (mostly due to forceps) in the hospital group, and none at home. The incidence of respiratory distress among newborns was 17 times greater in the hospital than in the home. While neonatal and perinatal death rates were statistically the same for both groups, Apgar scores (a measure of physical well being of the newborn) were significantly worse in the hospital. Home versus hospital deliveries: a prospective study on matched pairs. Ackermann-Liebrich U, Voegli T, Guenther-Witt K, Kunz I, Zullig M, Schindler C, et al. BMJ 1996;313:1313-8

Meta-analysis of the safety of home birth Birth 1997 Mar;24(1):4-13; discussion 14-6 Olsen O What is the relative safety of homebirth compared with hospital birth? Ole Olsen, a researcher from the University of Copenhagen, recently examined several studies of planned homebirth backed up by a modern hospital system compared with planned hospital birth. A total of nearly 25,000 births from five different countries were studied. The results: There was no difference in survival rates between the babies born at home and those born in the hospital. However, there were several significant differences between the two groups. Fewer medical interventions occurred in the homebirth group. Fewer home-born babies were born in poor condition. The homebirth mothers were less likely to have suffered lacerations during birth. They were less likely to have had their labors induced or augmented by medications or to have had cesarean sections, forceps or vacuum extractor deliveries. As for maternal deaths, there were none in either group.

From a World Health Organization (WHO) report - subsection on Place of Birth: It has never been scientifically proven that the hospital is a safer place than home for a woman who has had an uncomplicated pregnancy to have her baby. Studies of planned home births in developed countries with women who have had uncomplicated pregnancies have shown sickness and death rates for mother and baby equal to or better than hospital birth statistics for women with uncomplicated pregnancies.

Excerpt from the World Health Organization's Summary of Research on Place of Birth from Care in Normal Birth: A Practical Guide Report of a Technical Working Group From a report on homebirth in England: More recently, the 1992 House of Commons Select Committee on Maternity Services, now known as the Winterton report, went to the heart of the issue in the first of more than 100 recommendations and conclusions on pregnancy, labour and postnatal care. On the basis of what we have heard, this Committee must draw the conclusion that the policy of encouraging all women to give birth in hospitals cannot be justified on grounds of safety. Elsewhere the report went further. "There is no convincing or compelling evidence that hospitals give a better guarantee of the safety of the majority of mothers and babies. It is possible, that the contrary may be the case."

Other Homebirth Benefits Homebirth provides many benefits beyond a safer birth. Some families choose homebirth because they believe that their home is the most appropriate place for a new baby to enter their family circle. Some families choose homebirth because they want control over all the circumstances of the birth, including who is present and what the caregiver does to the mother and baby. No Baby Mix-Ups - I used to think it was funny when people said one of the benefits of homebirth was that there was no chance of a baby mix-up . . . no chance of having some other mom nurse your baby, no chance of having your baby circumcised or vaccinated against your will because of a mix-up, and no chance of going home and raising the wrong baby. But it seems that the news lately is full of stories of such mix-ups. - A Calif. hospital admitted 3 more baby mix-ups in one year

Smarter Babies - Mom's Nurturing Boosts Baby's Brain - maternal nurturing is vital to the development of babies' brains. [Dr. Michael Meaney of McGill University, Nature Neuroscience, August, 2000] Homebirth fosters unmedicated births so both mom and baby have high levels of endorphins, the bonding hormones, at birth. Homebirth supports continuous contact between mother and newborn, thereby facilitating breastfeeding and all aspects of maternal nurturing.

Interesting eh? Thoughts?

Bellies & Babies Blogger
October 31st, 2006, 07:39 AM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
WOW! I mean, I instinctually KNOW all these things, but to see Scientific reports on them is a whole other thing...It's funny how society works...my daddy always says people are like cattle. i tell someone I am having a homebirth, and they say, but wouldn't you rather be at the hospital is case SOMETHING happens, so i say "like what?" they never have an answer, because most people don't know WHAT they are afraid of, they are just blindly afraid....i think it's very silly.
October 31st, 2006, 09:19 AM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's funny to me that a lot of people who are deadset against homebirth don't care about studies or research. I had some of DH's family members ask me why I wanted to give birth at home and when given the facts they said I was lying. When I showed them the sources (some of those reports that you listed Nicole) they said that the reports "can't be right because more people have babies in the hospital".
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

October 31st, 2006, 08:39 PM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wow, mrs pil, your inlaws sound like FUN! A real laugh riot......no wonder you have panic attacks! who wouldn't with those people!
November 1st, 2006, 04:34 AM
momma6_2angels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing Nicole!! What a cool study!

I've been snowballed!!!(CoveredinMommy Iowajenny x2, alpinedoe, shelly e, skittles4you, jbcrmommy, nicolee, ecstaticmommy)
</div>
November 1st, 2006, 04:39 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
wow, mrs pil, your inlaws sound like FUN! A real laugh riot......no wonder you have panic attacks! who wouldn't with those people![/b]
Are yah kidding me?!?! Funny story - some distant slightly more tolerable relation of DH's is an OB nurse. She just had her baby but two days before she did she and I were talking in her kitchen about homebirth and BFing... MIL was in there with us and was completely offended by the fact that we thought BFing is healthier than bottles and was even so bold as to tell this poor woman (who agreed with me that all the stats say homebirth is safer) that she and I were wrong about homebirth. I swear to God I could be a freaking OBGYN and she still wouldn't want to hear what I have to say. Ahhhh!
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

June 2nd, 2008, 02:31 AM
Xx5Xy1+'s Avatar What's your superpower?
You should meet some of the other in-laws of MrsPil's heheheheh I have a favorite already and I only had to meet the "woman" once. (I'm MrsPil's favoritest sister ever lol)

Can someone give me the links to that study otherwise DH won't beleive me when I tell him all of this.

Thank you 3Daughters for my AWESOME siggy!

Hoping to add a new member to our family through adoption in August 2011
~*~
I am a sleep deprived, pro-life, homebirth supporting, babywearing, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, non-vaxing, attachment parenting, conservative thinking, Constitution defending, gun owning, Torah learning, US Army Veteran who is married to her hero... A US Army Soldier! If this offends you, then stop reading my signature!
June 14th, 2008, 09:51 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure where to find it, but I'll try to dig it up for you.
January 9th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well I have been studying to be a midwife for almost six years and my DH's parents are an OBGYN and a nurse. At first they tried to talk me into medical route, then they decided it would be best not to talk to in depth about it. So now we are expecting our first and they have agreed to be silently supportive. I think I am very luck. I will have lots of opposition from them in parenting department though.

Ethan is celebrating Baya's arrival on 8-24-11
November 13th, 2009, 03:27 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh family is so fun when dealing with a home birth!!!! My in laws are against it but DH is for it, and all of them are 1400 miles away in Virginia!

February 17th, 2011, 10:55 AM
hippie hugs's Avatar Proud Mama to a Preemie
This is amazing! I can't wait to show this to some of my family members.

Thank you Claire1979 for the amazing siggy!

July 30th, 2011, 08:43 AM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
Could someone PM me the link to this study?

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search