Once you've made the homebirth choice.......

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 31st, 2006, 08:43 AM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are you scared of hospitals? Since making the decision, I am TERRIFIED of the idea of birthing in a hospital, I have nightmares of unnecesary inductions, and needles and monitors and procedures.....is this normal? Or totally irrational, and just augmented by my crazy pregnant brain?
October 31st, 2006, 09:55 AM
momma6_2angels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will never do another hospital birth! I now think that homebirth is the only option (unless dire circumstances arise).

I've been snowballed!!!(CoveredinMommy Iowajenny x2, alpinedoe, shelly e, skittles4you, jbcrmommy, nicolee, ecstaticmommy)
</div>
October 31st, 2006, 10:15 AM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was dang afraid of hospitals before I ever decided on homebirth. Now I would be more afraid to give birth in the hospital, but I don't think I'm more afraid in general.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

November 2nd, 2006, 10:43 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have nightmares too. It's not the hospital that I fear, heck I'm a nuse and I used to work there! It's being out of control that I can't stand. I had two hospital births, they weren't horrible awful experiences...BUT, the thing I hated the most was having things either done or pushed on me that I didn't want. I hate feeling like I have no choice in the matter or like I'm a nuisance to the staff because I have preferences. I don't fear needles or monitors or medical things when they are necessary - I fear having all of that UNNECESSARILY.

I actually had a nightmare that sounds pretty silly now, but here's how it went:

I was in the hospital waiting to go into labour. It was the middle of the night and I was sleeping. A male nurse came in and wanted me to practise sucking on the Incentive Spirometer (it helps expand your lungs after you've been put under). He said he wanted me to practise "just in case" I ended up with a c/s in the next few days. I told him NO, and that I would probably end up with a c/s because I would be too exhausted from being awakened in the middle of the night for stupid things like that! I told him to get out, which he did - but was very displeased about the fact that I wasn't just complying like a good little patient.

Then in the morning, a female nurse came in with a hospital gown and asked me to put it on. I said no, my own pajamas were fine. She insisted that I be in a hospital gown because it's easier for everybody to do my internal exams if I'm wearing a gown. I said, "I don't need internal exams, I'm not in labour yet." She continued to insist, "But you HAVE to. Everybody has to wear a hospital gown. It's hospital policy." I still refrused and told her to show me the Policy and Procedure Manual where it says everybody HAS to wear one. She didn't because it was lie.

So I walked out of the hospital because I was fed up. I was going to go home and have the baby there. Then I woke up.

So you see, it's kind of funny how telling dreams are. I hate having to fight for myself and being pressured to do certain things in the hospital.
November 2nd, 2006, 11:44 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That dream sounds like my real life fears Shawna!!

I do fear the hospital in the sense, that I"m not "afraid" to go if its an emergency, but I more dread the loss of control and the view of the patient that most hospitals and docs have(not the mother, they just consider you a patient in their watch at that point, not as a mother who they are there to assist if need be).

November 2nd, 2006, 03:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I loved my hospital births They never done anything unseccesary and listened to what I wanted and supported me 100%.They did not push a thing,they were truly great , midwifes deliver in hospitals around here as it is all midwife led care unless you a real high risk.

So no,it doesn't scare me at all,I want my home birth but Im not afraid of hospital births either as all three were positive experiences.
November 3rd, 2006, 07:02 AM
momma6_2angels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The loss of freedom and control is why I dislike hospitals so much!

I've been snowballed!!!(CoveredinMommy Iowajenny x2, alpinedoe, shelly e, skittles4you, jbcrmommy, nicolee, ecstaticmommy)
</div>
November 3rd, 2006, 09:44 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Funny you mention - I had a dream the other night that they made me go to the hospital to put the baby back in so I could give birth in a hospital. I was so upset - I kept reminding myself in the dream "I can refuse anything" lol. I gave birth, and was fighting them screaming "NO PITOCIN" lol.

Im not more scared of them in general, i was very wary of them to begin with having been a doula... I really just didnt want to have to fight them on a day that was supposed to be so special and memorablee. I didnt want one of my biggest memories of the day I gave birth to be how I fought the nurses off & dodged the pitocin (which looking back, they would have surely given me & also loking back it would have surely ended up poorly b/c of how my labor was).

So... I woudlnt want to do it in a hospital unless I had no other choice, and I wouldnt be afriad of it in a transport situation b/c then Id feel comfortable knowing that a lot of the interventions would be done out of true necessity. Not just someone else's necessity (to get on to the next patient or their golf game lol).

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
November 4th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JensJulyBoy05 Send a message via MSN to JensJulyBoy05 Send a message via Yahoo to JensJulyBoy05
SAME HERE!!! I absolutely hate the way they make u feel like you have no say in anything!! AND ITS YOUR BABY AND BODY!!! gosh they pissed me off. I mean they werent BAD the nurses were nice and etc. BUt they wouldnt let me keep my baby in my room if i was asleep even though my mom and the bio was there i didnt want my baby in that nursery!!!! So i didnt sleep for the two days i was there!! literally. I was that worried. I was trying to breastfeed and they were trying to push formula and pacifiers on me ! they just have no patience and want whats easiest and quickest for them. so im really really looking foward to being comfy cozy and in pain all in my own home next time lol i cant even tell you anyones name there were so many different people in and out and checkin me and up my butt i swear there must have been about 6 interns in the room while i was pushing too. And while i was getting sown up with my hooha all out there for the world to see. It was like a freak show. ok sorry now im venting lol

<blockquote><blockquote><blockquote>

</blockquote></blockquote></blockquote>
November 4th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JensJulyBoy05 Send a message via MSN to JensJulyBoy05 Send a message via Yahoo to JensJulyBoy05
SAME HERE!!! I absolutely hate the way they make u feel like you have no say in anything!! AND ITS YOUR BABY AND BODY!!! gosh they pissed me off. I mean they werent BAD the nurses were nice and etc. BUt they wouldnt let me keep my baby in my room if i was asleep even though my mom and the bio was there i didnt want my baby in that nursery!!!! So i didnt sleep for the two days i was there!! literally. I was that worried. I was trying to breastfeed and they were trying to push formula and pacifiers on me ! they just have no patience and want whats easiest and quickest for them. so im really really looking foward to being comfy cozy and in pain all in my own home next time lol i cant even tell you anyones name there were so many different people in and out and checkin me and up my butt i swear there must have been about 6 interns in the room while i was pushing too. And while i was getting sown up with my hooha all out there for the world to see. It was like a freak show. ok sorry now im venting lol

<blockquote><blockquote><blockquote>

</blockquote></blockquote></blockquote>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search