My Birth Kit

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 29th, 2006, 08:52 AM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm trying desperately to get my act together here - it still hasn't hit me that this baby may try to come in as soon as 4 more weeks (if it wants to come early)... I think thought it will be more like 10 more weeks and either way that's just not much time to get prepared. So! I was wondering if any of y'all would mind looking over my birthkit and letting me know what I may (or may not) need on there. Items in green we already have and items in red we should be getting today. Thanks a bunch!

Steph

Birth kit
Item
Use(s)

Honey
Cord Care

Witch Hazel
Cord Care/Hemorrhoid Care

Bowl (large)
For placenta

Olive Oil
Perineal Massage

Salt (if lotus)
Placenta Rub

Rosemary (if lotus)
Placenta Rub

Baby Cap
Postbirth baby care

Thermometer
Postbirth baby care

Shepherd’s Purse Tincture
Postbirth Hemorrhage Control

Herbal Hemostat

Placenta Release

Panty Liners/Pads
Postpartum Care

Maxi Milk
Postpartum Care

Herbal Iron
Prenatal Care

Gentle birth herbs
Prenatal Care

Birth ball
birthing

Chux Pads
Birthing

Gloves
Birthing

Shower Curtain
Birthing

Fetoscope/Steothoscope/Doppler
Birthing

Purified Water
For placenta essence

Mason Jar/Pickling Jar (large)
For placenta essence

Vodka
For placenta essence, Greg

Lavendar/Essential Oils
Perineal Massage/Belly Massage

Towels (soft)
Postbirth baby care

Newborn Diaper
Postbirth baby care

Aspirator
Postbirth baby care

Blankets (soft)
Postbirth baby care

Hemorrhoid Pads
Postpartum Care

Crazy Glue/Dermabond/Liquid bandage
Postpartum Care

Birth Pool and accessories
birthing
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

November 29th, 2006, 09:12 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Something else I would suggest are some homeopathics & other alternative meds:

HemHalt - in case of PPH
Arnica - pain relief & relief of swelling and/or bruising
Flashlight - just in case

Also - Ill try to find my birth kit supply list & post it here

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
November 29th, 2006, 10:33 AM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would add extra sheets, washcloths, receiving blankets, bottle of peroxide for blood splatter (sorry) and two large bins. One for trash, one for laundry, that way cleanup will be easier after.

Otherwise, it looks good!

are you preparing a secondary birthing area in case the pool doesn't end up being what you want? Since I'm so fickle, i might do that, LOL
November 29th, 2006, 11:14 AM
LOL Yeah, I'm actually visualizing the bathroom floor but DH wanted to get a birthpool (YAY for enthuisiastic DH's!) so I thought I'd order one. It makes him feel like he gets to call some of the shots and I may end up using and loving it.

I have large toats, but I think I will try to find some extra sheets and wash clothes. Or maybe I'll just use the ugly ones from my bridal shower, there are an abundance of those.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

November 29th, 2006, 11:21 AM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
LOL Yeah, I'm actually visualizing the bathroom floor but DH wanted to get a birthpool (YAY for enthuisiastic DH's!) so I thought I'd order one. It makes him feel like he gets to call some of the shots and I may end up using and loving it.

I have large toats, but I think I will try to find some extra sheets and wash clothes. Or maybe I'll just use the ugly ones from my bridal shower, there are an abundance of those.[/b]
LMAO on the ugly bridal shower crap!

I'm going to do the birth pool thing, but just in case, i will have the bed made up with a plastic sheet under bedsheets, twice, so that I can just rip the first layer off and still have a clean (water proof) bed!
November 29th, 2006, 02:11 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thats what we did, we had the birth tub set up (on top of a shower curtani in case of splashes which there was certainly plenty of). Then we also had the bed made up with a plastic mattress cover between sheets so that way we just stripped off the dirty sheets & the plastic mattress pad & there were clean sheets made underneath it. I ended up birthing in the tub, but the bed being made like that came in handy. I laid in the bed with it like that, then once the bleeding was under control & i was feeling better, they pulled it all off & ahhhhhh clean sheets

Also - I got vinyl flannel backed tablecloths to put around the bed just in case. Came in handy.

And - we had a cookie sheet on hand so that in case i decided to wander the house they had an easy way of toting essential things around. AND - a crock pot for warming up herbal tea & then using that warm herbal tea for washcloths to make hot compresses

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
March 2nd, 2007, 08:52 PM
bump!

March 3rd, 2007, 12:02 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Maybe you could go back through your list and tell which things were really helpful, which you didn't use, and anything that you wished you would have had, but didn't.

If you have time for a little writing assignment, that is.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

March 3rd, 2007, 12:10 PM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Maybe you could go back through your list and tell which things were really helpful, which you didn't use, and anything that you wished you would have had, but didn't.

If you have time for a little writing assignment, that is. [/b]
Yes! Please do!

</div>
March 6th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Birth kit
Item
Use(s)

Honey
Cord Care - This was the BEST!!! All we ever put on her cord was a touch of Witch Hazel and honey and covered it with a little sheet of gauze to keep from getting on her clothes. Her cord fell off the second or third day.

Witch Hazel
Cord Care/Hemorrhoid Care Didn't end up with any 'roids but I use Witch Hazel and Comfry tea in my bath water and on my pads, they make tears, skid marks, and a swollen 'gina feel all better!

Bowl (large)
For placenta I ended up using tupperware and I would advise anyone to do the same. If you do't feel like dealing with it right away you put the lid on and toss it in the freezer.

Olive Oil
Perineal Massage I didn't end up using Olive Oil as she came out to fast, by the time my mom got it to me my body was pushing and she was to busy catching to apply it.

Salt (if lotus)
Placenta Rub Didn't use this as we didn't go lotus.

Rosemary (if lotus)
Placenta Rub Didn't use this as we didn't go lotus.

Baby Cap
Postbirth baby care We used a little hat but it kept falling off which was more irritating than anything.

Thermometer
Postbirth baby care We didn't use this and just kept her warm chest to chest. We kept our bedroom about 80 degrees the first day anyway so we were pretty confident that her temp was where it should be.

Shepherd’s Purse Tincture
Postbirth Hemorrhage Control Used this and loved it though I'll admit I used a bit to much and had a hard time with some clots...

Herbal Hemostat
Postbirth Hemorrhage Control Used this as my first line of defence before getting the Shepherd's purse. In the future I will probably only use this and save the SP for emergency use.

Placenta Release
Postbirth Hemorrhage Control Used this and had my placenta out in about 30 seconds. It was great!

Panty Liners/Pads
Postpartum Care Def. used these lol!

Maxi Milk
Postpartum Care If you are BFing this is awesome for growth spurts. I can take 10 drops under my toungue and be engorged within 2 hours.

Herbal Iron
Prenatal Care Used a good deal of this, more so now than during pregnancy.

Gentle birth herbs
Prenatal Care I cannot say enough good things about the gentle birth formula I used - my birth was painless, and I have to say that I think some of that has to do with these. If I were rich I'd buy this for every pregnant woman I know.

Birth ball
birthing I didn't use this in labor but it made a great chair when I was pregnant.

Chux Pads
Birthing I didn't use these in labor but DH likes to use them when he changes diapers lol.

Gloves
Birthing Didn't use these

Shower Curtain
Birthing Didn't use this

Fetoscope/Steothoscope/Doppler
Birthing Used this twice - not nearly enough to warrant the rental fees.

Purified Water
For placenta essence Haven't used this yet but I still plan to.

Mason Jar/Pickling Jar (large)
For placenta essence Haven't used this yet but I still plan to.

Vodka
For placenta essence, Greg Haven't used this yet but I still plan to.

Lavendar/Essential Oils
Perineal Massage/Belly Massage I used these my entire labor, put them in my bath water when I labored in the tub, massaged my belly with them, Greg would massage my belly with them when I was out of the tub... Lavender is the BEST thing in the world!

Towels (soft)
Postbirth baby care Used these!

Newborn Diaper
Postbirth baby care Used lots of these

Aspirator
Postbirth baby care We didn't end up needing this but it's something you need to have on hand just in case (IMHO)

Blankets (soft)
Postbirth baby care Used these

Hemorrhoid Pads
Postpartum Care I used these on my tear and they are wonderful!

Crazy Glue/Dermabond/Liquid bandage
Postpartum Care I didn't use these and I'm glad I didn't as it would have hurt like hell!

Birth Pool and accessories
birthing We never got around to ordering the birth pool or anything to go with it, I just used the tub which was fine for me because I'm smaller and our tub is larger than normal. If you want a waterbirth though I'd say buy a pool.

[/quote]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search