What method of prevention do you use?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 8th, 2006, 02:15 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just out of curiousity I was wondering how many women here use hormonal birth control? I was reading and article not long ago about the pill for men and one today about a chewable mint flavored pill for women. I know that a lot of you prefer natural to synthetics so I wonder how you feel on this particular subject. What have you tried, what have you liked, what have you disliked and what would you like to try?

I know from experience that hormone based contraceptives are dangerous to my body. I've tried and had allergic reactions to the pill (two or three different variations), the patch, and the ring. I wanted to try an IUD but the only one offered in my area is hormone based and I won't risk it. We are hoping that LAM will work for us for a while, and we'll see where we go from there.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

December 8th, 2006, 04:32 PM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, hormone BC doesn't bother me much. I use Nuva Ring with no ill side effects except that I'm pretty prone to BV. Then again, if you don't take it...it doesn't work. I'm cooking our SECOND surprise at the moment, so......I'm thinking IUD? I don't want to do anything permanent, but i really don't want another baby for at least three years. I have never actually placticed NFP, but I believe there is at least some period of time where you simply cannot have sex, and that's the part that gets us. I know when I ovulate, i hate condoms and I'm an airhead, so I'm not sure.
December 8th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Candice Send a message via Yahoo to Candice
Ok.. I've use The pill before and hated it... I was soo not myself on that stuff.

So really I just use condoms.. or I just don't have sex.... which is the route we have been taking lately... cause I'm SOOOO not into sex right now..lol

But we didn't use any type of prevention... which ended up in Ella! lol!!

And you know.. I guess i practice NFP.. even though I didn't really notice.. I would tend to have sex when i wasn't ovulating..lol

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/16b04c <--- CLICK ME TO STALK THE CHART
December 9th, 2006, 09:44 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
NFP for us for a truckload of reasons. We've used a few forms of it - a SympoThermal Method called Serena. It was a lot of abstinence and really difficult because I have PCOS, not the best method for complicated/irregular cycles. We've also used the Billings Ovulation Method (which I now teach) and the Creighton Model - LOVED both methods. Both of them easily accomodate irregularity or complicated cycles with the same 99% effectiveness rate with substantially less abstinence than Serena gave us. I can't wait for my lochia to stop so I can start charting again! YAY!
December 11th, 2006, 01:28 PM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
I have the mirena IUD. I hated it for the first 6 months but since my AF and the breakthrough bleeding stopped I'm loving it! I would do NFP but all three of my pg were on hormonal BC. Therefore, I feel I have little chance of not getting pg no matter how careful I am.

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
December 12th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Bug-n-Ed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We really don't prevent. We are okay with whatever little blessing comes our way. I've used bcp before (but to treat endometriosis, not as birth control) and I hate how they make me feel. My moods are all over the place and I get migraines and these are the low dose bcp. I refuse to use any more. We do occassionally use condoms, but we've been ttc since May of this year, so no prevention at all currently. Even before then, it was more of a "hope we don't get pg" type thing, but we'd be okay if I did get pg, ya know?

December 13th, 2006, 08:00 PM
WOW!

Anyone ever used the IUD and then taken it out? And concieved? I've been hearing some scary things....
December 18th, 2006, 03:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes I have... it was easy... it took me less than 3 months to get pregnant both times

Thank you Jacquie for the beautiful siggy!

Getting ready to do what I do!!!! One day at a time! Protecting your freedom!
December 18th, 2006, 04:45 PM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
My third pg was with my IUD so I don't think it's going to hurt my fertility! LOL.

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
December 18th, 2006, 07:55 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
Quote:
NFP for us for a truckload of reasons. We've used a few forms of it - a SympoThermal Method called Serena. It was a lot of abstinence and really difficult because I have PCOS, not the best method for complicated/irregular cycles. We've also used the Billings Ovulation Method (which I now teach) and the Creighton Model - LOVED both methods. Both of them easily accomodate irregularity or complicated cycles with the same 99% effectiveness rate with substantially less abstinence than Serena gave us. I can't wait for my lochia to stop so I can start charting again! YAY![/b]
So you teach NFP? I would really like to learn more about this, as all other methods of BC that I have looked into are just not right for me. But..... I have endometriosis and a VERY irregular cycle. I didnt think that NFP was really a possibility for me because of that. I know I will have a good 6 mos after the baby is born to think about things but I dont want to introduce solids this time at 6 mos, I would like to just wait it out and see how good things go. I read that you dont HAVE to until 1 yr, and I would like to keep my breastfeeding exclusive as long as possible so hormone bc just isnt going to work I cant have an IUD (personal reasons) and then I used the shot to control my endo for so long that I cant have that either because of increased risk of osteoporosis. They say no more than 2 years for that stuff and I already used it for 6. I GOT PG on the patch, and m/c the baby, so NOT AN OPTION, lol. I would really like to use a form of birth control that if by chance the effectiveness did waiver and I became pregnant I wouldnt lose the baby or have complications because of it. Would you mind sometime telling me more about your forms of NFP that work for irregular cycles?

</div>
December 18th, 2006, 10:39 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With irregular cycles, a mucus only method is the simplest way to go. In a *very* simple nutshell, when you have no mucus you can have intercourse on alternate evenings. When you notice mucus or bleeding, you abstain while it's present and until you have 3 full dry days again. To learn how to chart and apply the rules for avoiding pregnancy accurately, I highly reccomend learning from a certified instructor. Couples who are self-taugh are much more likely to experience an unintended pregnancy, while those who are properly instructed enjoy a 99% effectiveness rate. If you pop over to the Natural Family Planning JM forum, there is a sticky that has all the websites from the different NFP Methods - you can locate local teachers from there or learn online (while matched up with a real life teacher who will be in contact with you).

Regarding the endometriosis, you can definitely use NFP - I've known many women who use it successfully.

One NFP Method I do highly reccomend is the Creighton Model because it's a medical model and they work *especially* with women who have reproductive problems. You learn the method from a Fertility Care Practitioner who works under a Natural Pro-creative Technologies physician. Whether TTC or TTA, their goal is to help women get reproductively healthy - so you have the *option* if you so choose to also get medical assistance from them that will not include any hormonal contraceptives. They believe hormonal contraceptives do a lot of damage to women and try to restore natural reproductive function as it should be, instead of trying to cover up all the problems with synthetic hormones. I don't know a lot about their specific protocol for treating endometriosis (I believe laproscopic surgery is one of the most effective options, no?)

However, the Billings Ovulation Method is also great because it's simple and easy to adapt to very irregular cycles. I have PCOS, so I'm totally with you in the irregular cycle boat!

You mentioned that you really would rather stay away from BC that has the potential to disrupt things after conception. You are aware that all hormonal contraceptives (all forms of the pill, the patch, nuvaring, shot) do that right? The first action is to suppress ovulation, but the second action is to thin the lining of the uterus so that if breakthrough ovulation and conception do occur, you would just miscarry with your period and never know it. For some women, that's no problem. For others, it's a HUGE moral issue. I just think women should know *exactly* what these drugs do so they can be fully informed about it and make choices within their beliefs about the origins of life. Not intending to debate that here...just clarifying the biological function of those drugs.

Does that answer your questions? Keep asking if not!
December 20th, 2006, 08:04 PM
viXen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did used to use hormonal birth control, the Nuva Ring. After Dakota I went back on the ring and bled for weeks straight, making me very very anemic and sick. I love the Nuva Ring though but it just wasnt strong enough for my body at that time. I cant remember to take pills so that is out the window and the studies done on the patch are just scary.

So basically I keep track of my CM. When I start to see it get watery and slippery, we stop having sex until its gone.

BUT, that does backfire... there are times when we are in the moment and for that second, I don't have a care in the world

December 20th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Exactly! I know exaclty when I ovulate and I've known exactly when I got pg, it ain't a matter of knowing, we are just too stupid to abstain! So for me, I would need to just practice "responsible family planning"

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search