What will you do

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 8th, 2006, 01:28 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would love to hear some ideas from placenta utilizing women - whether you plan to plant it, eat it, encapsulate it, or something else! Also has anyone here made a placenta print? I would kind of like to know how that works, I think it would be a really amazing keepsake!
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

December 8th, 2006, 03:27 PM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just planted DD's. If everything went exactly as I planned, i would do a placenta print, then make a tonic with part of it, and plant the rest under a tree similar to DD's. I def would never throw it away. It's like miracle food, and it's the vessel that nourished your baby for the whole pregnancy. It's special...that said, I'm not eating it. Unless i was hemoraging. But i have some chemical issues, so I'm def doing the tonic or encapsulating for hormone stability.
December 8th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Fritz's placenta is in my parents' freezer. We'll be planting it under a tree next fall probably.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

December 8th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Super Mommy
I hope you don't mind me posting here. I had desparately wanted a homebirth, but unfortunately my little Boo had other plans. Someday... maybe... we'll try again. Anyways, i had planned on planting a rosebush over the placenta in my parents yard. When I asked to see the placenta during my c-section they looked at me like I had rocks in my head. I know it may sound silly, but the thought of my placenta becoming medical waste makes me want to cry.

Kimbo
December 9th, 2006, 05:57 AM
Quote:
I hope you don't mind me posting here. I had desparately wanted a homebirth, but unfortunately my little Boo had other plans. Someday... maybe... we'll try again. Anyways, i had planned on planting a rosebush over the placenta in my parents yard. When I asked to see the placenta during my c-section they looked at me like I had rocks in my head. I know it may sound silly, but the thought of my placenta becoming medical waste makes me want to cry.

Kimbo[/b]

That's not silly! Docs are just weird! I'm GLAD to see you posting here, you don't have to have had a HB to be here, just be interested. Planted over a rosebush is actually what we did with DD's placenta, how funny. I didn't even think of it, but my mother made them save it...it was a hospital in a rather small town, I don't think anyone had ever asked to take it home and they were just so surprised they did it, LOL. I'm sure it was against regs though... We had it in our freezer for two years and my mom would try to show it to whoever walked through the door, she's so weird......

So, WELCOME! keep posting, stick around, we're glad to have you! Can i ask why the c-sec? I'm due in about 8-10 weeks and that's one of my fears...
December 9th, 2006, 12:08 PM
tim_horton's Avatar Veteran
I'm sorry, but the thought of eating something that comes from inside your body seems wrong to me. Is there anyone who can explain this to me?

I did read that hospitals don't always burn the placenta. Many hospitals sell it to be used to make cosmetics. That's a little disturbing also.
December 9th, 2006, 02:59 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine is in my freezer until spring, at which time Ill plant it

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
December 9th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Candice Send a message via Yahoo to Candice
I don't think the hospital should have the right to sell your placenta... It's not thiers to sell.

Animals eat the placenta.... and techinically we are animals..lol

That being said... I didn't keep either girl's placentas.....Althought i did look at it. it was totaly cool! it's a relativly small organ to hold such a plump little thing!

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/16b04c <--- CLICK ME TO STALK THE CHART
December 10th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Quote:
I'm sorry, but the thought of eating something that comes from inside your body seems wrong to me. Is there anyone who can explain this to me?

I did read that hospitals don't always burn the placenta. Many hospitals sell it to be used to make cosmetics. That's a little disturbing also.[/b]

I believe it! I've just been reading about how they sell the foreskins or baby boys to cosmetic and research companies, EW!

I don't think i could actually EAT mine, I won't be grilling it up like a steak or anything. I was just going to plant it but i did some digging and it's apparently like the miracle "food" for after birth. One bite can stop PPH in it's tracks! And women who encapsulate it and then take those after the birth report feelings of immense well being when taking and they report bouncing back even faster. I guess it's kind of like eggs. Eating the unfertilized eggs of a chiken skeeves me out too, but they're good for me so I do it
December 10th, 2006, 05:11 PM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
I had a hospital birth with my DD. I was too afraid to do anything else since my family has a history of horrendously long labors (like 40+ hours). Anyway, I let the doctor bring in an EMT in training to the delivery room so I got to watch as they pointed out all the parts of the placenta and where the sac was attached. I think I spent more of Gemma's first 15 minutes learning about the placenta then I did staring at her! Kind of weird, I know, but I love learning new things! I never thought to ask to take it home. I'm thinking home birth if I ever have another baby since my labor was extremely quick and easy. Maybe next time I'll plant it!

PS... I don't think I've ever posted here before so quick intro... I'm Sara, almost 22, and DD is Gemma. She'll be 2 in March. My SO (not Gemma's dad) is Zack, 27. Hi ladies!

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
December 10th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Hey SaraB! Welcome! It's nice to have you here, let us know if there are any HB questions we can answer!
December 11th, 2006, 12:18 PM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
Actually the NCB ladies directed me down here. They've answered alot of my questions and such. I'm sure when I eventually get pregnant again I'll have tons but for right now I'm just kind of learning through lurking! Thanks!

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
December 11th, 2006, 12:22 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I know it may sound silly, but the thought of my placenta becoming medical waste makes me want to cry.

Kimbo[/b]
That's not silly at all - I feel for you! I think that doctors see to much sometimes and they forget that ones man's medical waste is another woman's treasure. It makes me angry to think that you can't take home something that is yours. Frustrating!
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search