Perineal Massage

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 9th, 2006, 06:13 AM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm almost 32 weeks, so i should probably start soon, did any of you do it in preperation for birth? If you did, did it help? My daughter is almost four and i am still in pain from the tear I got with her, so i want to stay totally INTACT! Especially since so many people think tearing is a part of birth Am i more likely to tear along the suture line?
December 10th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
We did some with ds, and the stupid doctor cut me...dh says he doesn't think I needed it. With dd, he refused to help me do it and I was too lazy, so I only did it a few times myself. I so totally thought I was tearing as she came out, but I only split a little skin on the inside where perineal massage wouldn't have helped anyways. My scar stayed intact. And the split healed fairly quickly until I split it open again moving funny, took a little longer to heal the second time, but still not bad. I suppose it makes a difference that my babies were 6 15 (ds) and 6 12 (dd).

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
December 10th, 2006, 04:22 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
You are more likely to tear along the suture line, however since it was a tear you are much less likely to tear again since it wasn't an episiotomy (those scars are weaker since they are surgical cuts).

We didn't do perineal massage before Ani. I tore badly (14 3/4" head). We did before Cameron and I didnt tear (14 1/2" head), just had a labial abrasion. We did a couple times before Fritz, but my midwife said she doesn't say whether you should or not since she just trusts bodies and positioning so we decided to stop. Fritz's head was 14 3/4" like Ani's and I did not tear at all with him (just a skid mark). I won't do it in the future. I do think it was useful before Cameron since it kind of softened and stretched the scar tissue. I had pain from Ani's birthday until doing the perineal massage at the end of my pregnancy with Cameron. I've never had a problem since.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

December 10th, 2006, 08:11 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We did it some, though not faithfully & i do think it helped some esp since I had a very fast pushing stage & my baby was posterior until delivery but turned DURING pushing & didnt get a chance to fully turn - the shoulders hadnt turned all the way so they came out at the same time. I had two tears - one up & one down (very small - less than a first degree) and didnt get them stitched. The one going down tore along my previous episiotomy line.

BUT - I will say this - my episiotomy took FOREVER to heal. I could FEEL where teh episiotomy scar was when doing perineal massage at the end of pg. (my episiotomy was nearly 8 yrs ago too!).

Well - this time around, my tear healed super fast. I used an herbal sitz bath faithfully for the first 3 - 4 days, and used pads soaked in herbal sitz bath stuff & then frozen. I saw the OB about 12 hours after my babys birth - i had no swelling, the tearing had already started healing. The next day - fully closed. A week later (about) - the tear line was almost invisible & it was completey unnoticable even to my MW by week 2.

I probably wouldnt have torn had it not been for her presentation & me practically blasting her out though (I dont know why - I just refused to slow down on my pushing when I could feel the burning).

Good luck

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
December 18th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Quote:
We did it some, though not faithfully & i do think it helped some esp since I had a very fast pushing stage & my baby was posterior until delivery but turned DURING pushing & didnt get a chance to fully turn - the shoulders hadnt turned all the way so they came out at the same time. I had two tears - one up & one down (very small - less than a first degree) and didnt get them stitched. The one going down tore along my previous episiotomy line.

BUT - I will say this - my episiotomy took FOREVER to heal. I could FEEL where teh episiotomy scar was when doing perineal massage at the end of pg. (my episiotomy was nearly 8 yrs ago too!).

Well - this time around, my tear healed super fast. I used an herbal sitz bath faithfully for the first 3 - 4 days, and used pads soaked in herbal sitz bath stuff & then frozen. I saw the OB about 12 hours after my babys birth - i had no swelling, the tearing had already started healing. The next day - fully closed. A week later (about) - the tear line was almost invisible & it was completey unnoticable even to my MW by week 2.

I probably wouldnt have torn had it not been for her presentation & me practically blasting her out though (I dont know why - I just refused to slow down on my pushing when I could feel the burning).

Good luck [/b]

I delivered a 9lb 2oz baby boy and didn't tear at all. I have never torn before though and I believe it is because I have always done PM. I recommend it. It helps to have DH do the massage, and I loved using almond oil with a little lavender EO mixed in.
December 30th, 2006, 10:49 AM
JN82's Avatar Member
I do think PM helps at least for first timers and for those who have scar tissue .
January 4th, 2007, 05:48 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
Yes YeS YES!!!
I didn't do it with my first, and, when she was born, she had a mult. nuchal cord (very short too, about 14 inches) that was acting like a noose; when I would push, it would slack enough for her to decend a ways, then, when I let up, the top of my uterus would pull back and tighten the 'noose' on her. It was tight enough that her skin was folding over the cord. Eeek. So, OB gave me an episiotomy that tore to my rectum (4th degree) to get to the cord, then he cut the cord with no clamping. As soon as the cord was cut, she came sailing out into his hands. Even though I believe it was an indication for episiotomy, I still hate the idea I had it.

Onto my next birth. I researched and began PM. OB had never done it in labor, and he and I researched it for labor as well and he was excited to try it. I was his guinea pig - He said the extent of my scar tissue from my first babe would not stretch and I would either HAVE to have an episi. or I WOULD tear. I said, well, lets do PM before birth and PM during birth, and we will see. He said 'cool, I would love to be proven wrong and see this work'. So, we did it and I didn't even have a skid mark. He looked encrediously at my perineum and said 'you made a believer out of me'. I talked to him a year after her birth about the PM and he said he tells all of his patient's to do it and practices it with every birth now.

Twins, PM during pregnancy and PM during birth, no tears or skids...

Xander, PM during pregnancy and PM during birth - largest of the heads at 36cm, and no tearing or skidmarks... even with the Gaskin Maneuver performed for shoulder dystocia.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
January 4th, 2007, 06:25 AM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
AWESOME! OK, i'll be a good little girl and start it now, I'm 35 weeks now, and my personal goal for this HB is no tearing! SIL is one of those people who think episiotomies are necessary, grrrr. So i have stuff to prove!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search