Welcome Sara_B!!!

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 11th, 2006, 12:24 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's always good to see antoher person considering homebirth! If you don't mind my asking what lead you towards homebirthing? I look forward to getting to know you better!
Steph
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

December 11th, 2006, 02:36 PM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes! Welcome! I remember seeing one of your posts in NCB and thinking to myself "why isn't she in the HB forum???" So glad you are now!! P.S. your daughter is absolutely adorable!
December 11th, 2006, 07:17 PM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
Awww thanks ladies! That's so sweet. And my daughter knows she's adorable. LOL. I'm gonna need a bigger baseball bat in a few years.

Honestly, when I was pg with my DD I always read birth stories online. I loved reading the HB stories but my family has a history of long, painful labors so I just figured it wasn't for me. Also I was on medicaid at the time so I just followed orders. I hated everything about my pg and birth. I had three bouts of preterm labor that I now think was actually just practice labor as I was effacing but not dilating. I had to wean myself off the Terbutaline because I was having heart palpitations and sweats but the doctor didn't want to see me. I ended up going overdue by 4 days. I had been off the Terbutaline for 4 weeks but still wasn't feeling anything so my doctor scheduled an induction. I went in the night before the induction for an NST and the monitor picked up contractions that held a steady pattern. The nurse decided to check me and I was 3cm and 100% effaced. I wasn't feeling anything so I told her I wanted to go home and come back either for my induction in the morning or if I started feeling anything. Luckily they agreed and that was the only thing that went right during my labor.

The next day I had slept well and I stuffed myself with food in preparation for a long labor. I waited around as long as I could contain myself but I was curious as to wether anything was happening. I went back to the hospital and I was 5 cm. I wanted to go back home as I lived 10 minutes away but they wouldn't let me. I went up to L&D and they gave me IV antibiotics as I am GBS positive. I walked the hall for two hours but didn't progress more so they started pitocin. The pitocin actually stopped my contractions so the doctor stopped the drip and then broke my water. It was obvious that it wasn't ready to break. It took him three or four tries to get it. That's when I felt the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. Every muscle from my neck to my knees would clench with every contraction and I felt like I couldn't breathe. I asked to move but the nurse told me since my water was broken I had to stay in bed, flat on my back. That's when I gave up and asked for an epidural. The doctor decided he wanted to make sure my labor was "established" so I had to wait an HOUR for the epi. I spent that whole hour doing nothing but screaming. The nurses were telling me to "shut up. You're scaring the other women in labor." I wanted to strangle them all. Finally I got the epidural. Wouldn't you know when they sat me up to do the epidural I couldn't even feel the contractions? If only I could have moved around I wouldn't have needed it. Luckily once I could relax I went straight to 10 cm and delivered in a few pushes despite not being able to feel. After the birth I had no idea how to take care of a newborn but none of the nurses wanted to help me. I was a young, single mother and they wouldn't waste their time on me. I even had a nurse try to scare me. She started telling me horror stories about how you're so fertile after giving birth and if I went out and spread my legs I'd never not be pg. I wanted to beat her face in. I was SINGLE! That meant I had no reason to hear all that and it wasn't like I didn't know how I'd gotten pg. I needed to know how to care for my DD and that was the one thing they never helped me with.

I guess all in all I just want to do what I want when I feel like it. I'd thought back lots of times and thought to myself that if I hadn't been overdue and going for NST's and the like, I never would have known I was in labor. I might have gotten to transition and suddenly been like "oops my water broke. Hey there's a head." I had even had thoughts of, if I got pg again, just pretending like I wasn't in labor until it was too late to go to the hospital so I wouldn't have to go through all that again. I was very happy to be pointed to this board so that I can learn about my options.

So thanks for the warm welcome ladies! I'm sure I'll be lurking around.

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
December 11th, 2006, 07:30 PM
My god. If ever there was a story of a birth rape that's it. I'm so sorry. How awful. I was really young and on medicaid with my DD as well. I was soo clueless though. They induced me at 40.2, i admit, i asked for it, but i really wish they hadn't done it. At hour seventeen when my doc left to go to a basketball game, I figured that was why he was so eager to do my induction. I wasn't dilated, effaced, nothing. I was so NOT ready to give birht, it's amazing i didn't end up with a c-sec.

I was still goign to do that hospital, epidural route with this one, till I met litle miss wonderful, April, my DDC co-host and she pointed me to homebirth. It was like opening my eyes. I never knew I was an attachment parent, i'm so glad to have a term for it and not just feel like I'm "spoiling" my babies....so here we are eh?

Glad to have you with us.
December 12th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Yep, and here we are... Thanks for the welcome! I've been reading up on statistics and what not and it's really driven home that the unplanned C-section rate is going up the more managed delivery becomes. It's hard to believe that doctors KNOW these stats and still don't change the way they view labor and delivery. If they wanted a set schedule why did they become doctors, let alone obstetricians? sheesh!

PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)

December 12th, 2006, 12:12 PM
AMEN! Especially since most ob's will admit that they don't know how to handle normal uncomplicated birth. They specialize in problems, and emergencies. Since when are emergencies planned?
December 13th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Definitely! I got hurt at work this past August. It was a pretty serious though no totally life threatening. I sat in the ER for 5 hours before surgery because there wasn't an available surgeon. What would have happened if it had been worse? I know complications can't always be forseen but doctors sicken me. These patients coming in for elective surgeries got priority over me and I was bleeding all over the place and my blood pressure was too low (from blood loss) for them to give me pain meds! It was completely outrageous. These definitely aren't the people I want welcoming my next baby to the world.

December 13th, 2006, 02:50 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Your experience with doctors (outside of l&d) sound about like mine. I was stabbed in the arm in a freak running with scossors accident last year and I waited in the ER for almost 4 hours before getting stitches - they didn't even want to give me pain meds until after the doctor had seen me, but I worked at the hospital I was in so I said if you're not going to help me then I'm going home where I can at least take an ibuprofen. That got 'em moving. What's funny is that most of the time it's nurses who are controlling everything.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

December 13th, 2006, 06:47 PM
OY, thank god I have freakishly good luck, in this ridiculously overpopulated city, i would hate to see what the ER wait is like!!!
December 13th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Well I don't know how serious your stab wound was but I had a half ton of titanium bar fall on my hand. I had to wait 5 hours for reconstructive surgery and there was no guarantee after that length of time that they'd be able to save my thumb which was mangled the worst. It sickened me that people coming in to get stitches out and get casts off got to monopolize the only surgeon that was capable of saving the usefulness of my hand. Honestly they didn't get him in to see me until I threatened to take off my steel toes and start throwing them at nurses. I think unless I'm dying I don't EVER want to see another hospital again! UGH! Why do I always have the worst luck? Well at least I'll try to remember not to run with scissors. LOL. Sorry, I couldn't resist!

December 13th, 2006, 07:12 PM
OMG! That's insane!!!!! How is your hand today????
December 18th, 2006, 03:42 PM
As of now my hand is pretty much okay. I would say my thumb is about 70% useful. I still have numbness, tingling, and some phantom pain from nerve damage. The nail will never be pretty and my thumb is pretty deformed but all in all I can still work and that's what matters.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search