considering a home birth but...

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 16th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Super Mommy
Dh and I are planning to TTC number 2 this coming spring. I would love to have a homebirth, but DS was born prematurely ( I thought I was 32 weeks when I went into labor, the NICU doc said developmentally he was probably 34-35 weeks) and I'm not really sure that a homebirth would be an option. With DS I had a wonderful team of midwives through my pregnancy but was delivered by an OB in the hospital when I went into labor early. The docs ran a number of tests and were never able to determine the cause of my preterm labor...

So, my thoughts for you ladies are what do you think? Would I be considered high risk from the start or do you think a midwife would accept me as a patient and do a transfer to an OB if this pregnancy became highrisk? My son got amazing care in the hospital, but if this little one has no medical reason to be there, I'd rather avoid it kwim? Am I just being selfish here?

December 17th, 2006, 05:01 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
My sister had her son 6 weeks early for no apparent reason. She will NOT be considered high risk for future pregnancies. It is considered a one time event and is expected to go full term with future babies. You can get in contact with a midwife now and explain your situation and they can tell you whether you are a homebirth candidate or not. Some midwives are more cautious than others.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

December 17th, 2006, 07:29 PM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ITA! Yes, the fact that you had your son prematurely doesn't mean it will ever happen again, and even if you were going to have a homebirth, if something happened, or you went into PTL the hospital is still where you would go. I will birth at home after 37 weeks, not before.

You are absolutely NOT selfish for wanting an HB! WHy would you think that? In low risk moms, HB is way safer than the hospital, check out the stickies.

I'm really glad you came here to talk and ask questions, WELCOME!

My name is abbey, I have a DD, 3 and we are having a little boy for our first HB in feb.ish. LOL.
December 17th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks ladies!

I'm going to get in touch with our local midwife and see what she has to say. I lurk around here every once in awhile and plan to continue to do so and learn all that I can. Good stuff as far as I can tell.
-Gina

December 18th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Thanks ladies!

I'm going to get in touch with our local midwife and see what she has to say. I lurk around here every once in awhile and plan to continue to do so and learn all that I can. Good stuff as far as I can tell.
-Gina[/b]

My midwife would take you and then transport you if she had too. You have to remember that all babies are different. My first one was two weeks early, my second one week early and my third, two weeks late. If there is no medical reason behind the early birth, you shouldn't be high risk. Hope this helps. Good luck.
December 19th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Super Mommy
I spoke to a midwife today who told me that she'd be happy to take me on. She treats every pregnancy on its own terms and would not expect problems with this pregnancy just because I went preterm last time. So, if everything goes according to plan, I'll get my home birth. Now, I've just got to get preggie. Thanks for all of the help.
-Gina

December 20th, 2006, 08:40 AM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yaaaay! It sounds like this midwife is a very sensible woman! Now stop typing and start baby dancing lol! Congrats, good luck, and
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

December 20th, 2006, 08:45 AM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So glad you found a nice MW!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search