What was your first thought

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 13th, 2007, 10:34 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The first time you heard about homebirth? Were you freaked out and completely skeptical and if so what lead you back around to it, or were you open to it?

Personally I heard about it when I was really young and it made sense, then I didn't think about it for years and when I finally heard about it again it was weird... And then somehow everything clicked and I was set!
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

January 14th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I thought it sounded pretty cool. The first time I remember hearing about someone having a homebirth was 10 1/2 years ago when my friend had her third child at home. Of course I grew up knowing about homebirth since I knew that my grandparents and their siblings were all born at home.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

January 14th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
I thought it sounded frightening, but not stupid. I knew I would need to learn a lot and educate myself on what to expect, but I never saw it as reckless or negligent or ridiculous, Ive certainly come across people whose first thoughts are those :-P

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

January 14th, 2007, 02:36 PM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was like "WHAT? You can DO that?!!?!?!??!!?" i seriously thought it was illegal...which it sort of is in this state, but that's beside the point. Then April (doornail dorothy) sent me Isaeph's birth story and it was all over for me..i knew i didn't want to give birth any place else.
January 14th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
it never really occoured to me that I could have one, till now,

ok well I guess my reasons for this were that my aunty was my midwife and well up untill this pregnancy has been,

and for my first 2 she was a hospital based mw, and my 3rd PG was extremely complicated, and twins, and ended in a kind of home birth, (i delivered the twins in the car in MY driveway)

and the with pg #4 I thought about it and was open to having it, BUT i chose to be induced as I didnt want to be in labour on the twins 1st anniversary

this tiem round we have moved 12 hours away from my aunt, so shes a no go
and we live 40mins away from the closest hospital, and having super fast Labours, we knew right form ttc that unless #1 a medical emergancy comes up, or #2 I am in the middle of town and about 40 mins away from home, (not much chance of making it home)
I am having this baby at home,
<div align="center"><div align='center'></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"> </div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"><div align='center'>Loved Missed and never forgotten</div><div align="center">Twins Makayla and Liliana 1st Dec 2004 and "little surprise" Jan 08 </div>

</div>
</div>
January 17th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Aww...yeah!

Um...I don't remember my exact thoughts, but kind of like tandem nursing (hehe....which I do now!) I thought it was silly. I just wanted an unmedicated hospital birth with ds...but found it impossible, so I stayed home with Ele.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
January 18th, 2007, 04:10 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
My first thought about homebirth.... *I want that*

</div>
January 22nd, 2007, 05:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I actually wanted one before I ever heard of it. During my 2nd hospital birth, I kept thinking of cave women birthing, and decided immediately afterwards that if I had another baby it would be in my "cave" with the women of my tribe - no doctor or hospital necessary! Imagine my delight when pregnant a few years later, I heard about a homebirthing clinic near me! I had no idea women still homebirthed, but I already knew I would be doing it. And it was wonderful- exactly the way I imagined.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
January 22nd, 2007, 06:20 PM
Quote:
I actually wanted one before I ever heard of it. During my 2nd hospital birth, I kept thinking of cave women birthing, and decided immediately afterwards that if I had another baby it would be in my "cave" with the women of my tribe - no doctor or hospital necessary! Imagine my delight when pregnant a few years later, I heard about a homebirthing clinic near me! I had no idea women still homebirthed, but I already knew I would be doing it. And it was wonderful- exactly the way I imagined.[/b]

Cave women, i LOVE it! I'm feeling a bit like cave dwelling at the moment myself, maybe it's close, i hope, i hope!
January 23rd, 2007, 02:32 AM
lol Abbey, glad I'm not the only one feeling the cavewoman vibes!
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

January 23rd, 2007, 11:19 AM
Quote:
lol Abbey, glad I'm not the only one feeling the cavewoman vibes![/b]

nope! I actually wondered to myself if i had irked you in some way, cuz i haven't seen you on yahoo in so long, and then i was "stupid, if I feel like this at 38, i bet she is about as antisocial right now as can be!" I just want to hide in a dark corner and sleep forever, and i know whatever you have been feeling has got to be more intense!

Hugs, mama!
January 23rd, 2007, 01:55 PM
No irking, just really really antisocial... And also sleeping from eh, about 2 am to 3 pm every day...

Those hugs are coming right back at ya!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search