Considering joining you gals...

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 30th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Okay, I'm gonna try to organize my thoughts here and get some feedback. We just started talking about the possibility of a homebirth last night, so we don't know for sure if we'd go for it yet or not. Just mulling over the idea.

By the way, my name is Kelli, and we're expecting baby #2 in the first part of June. I know some of you from the natural childbirth board already. My first was a natural midwife attended hospital birth...

At this point we are planning a birth center birth. It's only about 4 blocks from my house and the same from the hospital (the BC, hospital and our house would form a nice even triangle)

First off, I want a waterbirth and I know there are tubs you can rent or buy, does anyone have suggestions or links?

I'd also like to know some of the benefits (in your opinion) to having the baby at home (midwife would attend) vs. at the birth center. I haven't even talked this over with the midwife yet, but I'd like to have some info before that.

And I'm just gonna list some of my concerns and then hopefully you gals can give me some feedback/guidance/direction/etc...

#1, where the HECK would I put a birth tub? We have a very very small house (under 900 sq ft) and there's not a lot of floor space. How much room do they take up?

#2. what if my house is a mess or dirty? would I need to thoroughly cleanse my house?

#3. dealing with questions/concerns from family members. My mom seems *okay* with the idea once I told her the midwife would definitely be there. But I know I'd get some negative feedback from other people.

#4. what are the risks involved? are they really any more than having the baby at the BC?

#5. I don't know if my insurance would cover it... I'm on state/medicaid and I don't know for sure how that would work. They do cover the BC for sure, but I don't know about homebirth. how would I go about asking them about it?

#6. nevermind... my midwife is also a pediatrician, so that nixed that question!!

Any other thoughts, suggestions, links??

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 31st, 2007, 06:39 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Hi, Kelli. You know me

I've had a hospital birth, a birthing center birth, and a homebirth. I'm personally a land birther, but my midwife does a lot of waterbirths. She recommends renting an Aquadoula http://www.aquadoula.com/

The best part of having a homebirth is not having to go anyway as well as the comfort level of it being YOUR home and YOUR turf, not someone else's. I was much more relaxed at home in my bed than I was at the birthing center in their bed (and I was pretty relaxed there). Not having to go anywhere while in labor is a huge plus. There's no "when should we leave" question. Everyone comes to you. Not having to go anywhere afterward is also great. We left the birthing center about 4 hours after Cameron was born. With Fritz we realized when he was 2 or 3 days old he'd never been outside of our bedroom.

To address your concerns:
1.) I'm not sure how big they are, but I think they are pretty big. Some people put them in their living room, some put them out on their deck. Usually space for one can be found.

2.) You don't have to clean at all! Your house has your germs and the newborn will be living there anyway whether she is born at home or not. You don't have to clean a lot for the baby to come home from the birthing center or hospital and you don't have to clean a lot to have the baby at home.

3.) Ignore negative feedback. What others think truly doesn't matter.

4.) There are really no more risks having the baby at home than at a birthing center. Midwives carry things to help in the case of hemhorrage. They carry oxygen. They can sew up tears (really bad ones have to go to the hospital, but that's the case no matter if the baby is birthed at home or a birthing center). There is one huge benefit. At your home the germs are your family's germs. Your baby has been living at your home, not at the birthing center, while inside you. At the birthing center are other people's germs. It is impossible to get rid of all of them. So bacteria wise the home is the best place to give birth.

5.) Call the number you have for them and ask flat out if they cover homebirth with a licensed midwife (CNM, CPM, or whatever the midwife you will use is). Get the name of the person who tells you the answer and write it down along with the date and time you talked to them. If they say no, keep asking. My midwife has found a lot of insurances claim they won't cover home birth but when it comes down to it they do.

6.) My midwife isn't a ped but she still did the care of Fritz until about 6 weeks. I took Cameron to the doctor at 22 hours old. I will never do that again. He was too young and it wasn't necessary. We don't vax so we don't do regular well baby checks. Fritz went to the ped at 4 months for the first time (sick visit due to his allergies).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

January 31st, 2007, 09:53 AM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
Hi! I cant really answer your questions because we just recently decided to birth at home with our first but I wanted to give you this link. This is what I found when searching to see if medicaid would cover homebirth in my state... http://www.mana.org/statechart.html... unfortunately for us, they don't in TN. Hopefully you have better luck with that!

Jenny

</MARQUEE>
January 31st, 2007, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Hi! I cant really answer your questions because we just recently decided to birth at home with our first but I wanted to give you this link. This is what I found when searching to see if medicaid would cover homebirth in my state... http://www.mana.org/statechart.html... unfortunately for us, they don't in TN. Hopefully you have better luck with that!

Jenny[/b]
okay... I'm not sure I totally understand that site. Under washington it has an "x" under "medicaid reimbursement" does that mean the DO allow it??

January 31st, 2007, 12:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I only have a second, but if your that close to the hospital, I think personally the birthcenter to be a waste of time, kwim? Also, about the tub, my midwife has her own portable tub that I have used, you may want to ask your midwife about that. Your house probably won't be messy, unless you ignore the whole nesting thing, and even so, your house, your mess, your germs! Much better than the communal germs of the hospital! (I was horrified how dirty the NICU was when we had to transport our last baby!)

It's a big decision, but I've never known anyone to regret it.

7 of my 8 have been born at home, #9 will be also!

Mama to:
Nick, 18
Abby, 16
Gabe, 14
Isaac, 12
Mary-Kate, 11
Sam, 9
Henry, 8
Molly, 7
Mark, 5
Greta, 4
Cecilia,2
Josephine,1
Baby due Jan. 2014
January 31st, 2007, 12:28 PM
Super Mommy
Hey Kelli,

First of all welcome. Glad you found us here.

I can add a little bit about the tub. We bought an inflatable tub (La Bassine - you can check them out online) ... didn't get to use it... long story... but it seemed to be the perfect solution. We also have a small house. It doesn't weigh as much as the other tubs that are out there, but it does fill as deep. Doesn't have the jets or heater, but it does have handles for resistance. I was also concerned about the weight, but was assured that if it were placed in the corner of a room it would be fine. It is also considerably cheaper than other options I checked out.

Hope this info helps. Looking forward to seeing you around here more.

Kimbo
January 31st, 2007, 12:36 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also had a La Bassine. You can buy heaters but we didnt, and it still held the heat great for about 4 hours.

i think it was about 5 or 6 ft, & we snuggled it in b/w our bed & the wall so i could hop out & into my bed!

Lala...(nak - sorry for the shortness! lol)

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
January 31st, 2007, 01:11 PM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
Quote:
Quote:

Jenny[/b]
okay... I'm not sure I totally understand that site. Under washington it has an "x" under "medicaid reimbursement" does that mean the DO allow it??
[/b]

I'm pretty sure that if there is an "x" under reimbursement then that means they do pay for it. Thats the way I read it anyway. Hope that helps!

Jenny

</MARQUEE>
January 31st, 2007, 03:25 PM
Bug-n-Ed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Kelli! I've been posting here off and on since we've been ttc. I hope you can have your homebirth. Try not to care what others will say about it, you do what's best for you and your family. Do you think you'd have Courtney present for the birth? If I'm able to have my next one at home, I think I'd like to have the boys present if they want to be.

January 31st, 2007, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Hi Kelli! I've been posting here off and on since we've been ttc. I hope you can have your homebirth. Try not to care what others will say about it, you do what's best for you and your family. Do you think you'd have Courtney present for the birth? If I'm able to have my next one at home, I think I'd like to have the boys present if they want to be.[/b]
I'm not sure about Courtney being there. My gut tells me it would freak her out and she would cause too much distraction. I think she's a bit too young still. but I want her there right afterwards... I may have someone there specifically to watch her and have them take her outside if she gets too much in the way. I haven't quite decided yet...

January 31st, 2007, 08:18 PM
DahliaMarie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to DahliaMarie Send a message via Yahoo to DahliaMarie
#1, where the HECK would I put a birth tub? We have a very very small house (under 900 sq ft) and there's not a lot of floor space. How much room do they take up?

I had planned on buying a La Bassine, but I didnt get around to it before my son was born. I have heard they don't take up too much space. There are several options. I even looked at some small "kiddie" pools. I'm sure with a little measuring and research, you could find a good one!

#2. what if my house is a mess or dirty? would I need to thoroughly cleanse my house?

This was one of my first questions too. My house was very clean, but that's only because I was nesting hardcore before my labor started, and I wanted (see: NEEDED ) it that way. I have read many stories of homebirths, and I'm sure thats last thing on the birth teams mind at the time! Also, I read somewhere that as long as you have a place to sit/lay to labor and somewhere cleared off to put the tools, thats as clean as it needs to be.

#3. dealing with questions/concerns from family members. My mom seems *okay* with the idea once I told her the midwife would definitely be there. But I know I'd get some negative feedback from other people.

I got lots of negative feedback. I would just tell people *I* had done my research, and felt that I was doing what was best for myself, and my child. Please don't let other peoples ignorace dissuade you from doing whats best.

#4. what are the risks involved? are they really any more than having the baby at the BC?

I honestly feel that having a homebirth is the safest, bar none.

#5. I don't know if my insurance would cover it... I'm on state/medicaid and I don't know for sure how that would work. They do cover the BC for sure, but I don't know about homebirth. how would I go about asking them about it?

I agree with Butter, the only way to know for sure is to call them.

#6. nevermind... my midwife is also a pediatrician, so that nixed that question!!

My mw did all Dominics care up to 6 weeks of age too.

I have several that I cant think of right now (nak)

http://www.trustbirth.com/

<div align="center"></div>
February 1st, 2007, 05:54 AM
Bug-n-Ed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Kelli! I've been posting here off and on since we've been ttc. I hope you can have your homebirth. Try not to care what others will say about it, you do what's best for you and your family. Do you think you'd have Courtney present for the birth? If I'm able to have my next one at home, I think I'd like to have the boys present if they want to be.[/b]
I'm not sure about Courtney being there. My gut tells me it would freak her out and she would cause too much distraction. I think she's a bit too young still. but I want her there right afterwards... I may have someone there specifically to watch her and have them take her outside if she gets too much in the way. I haven't quite decided yet...
[/b]
I've been reading and it's recommended that if you are going to have your children present to have a support person for each child so that if it gets to be too much for them that they can take them out of the room or away from the house.

February 2nd, 2007, 09:56 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First off, I want a waterbirth and I know there are tubs you can rent or buy, does anyone have suggestions or links? I didn't end up buying a pool - DH wanted one but I was more into the bathroom. So while I labored in water it was just my bath tub. But when I was looking for a tub the sites I checked were:
Your waterbirth
Birthwithlove

I'd also like to know some of the benefits (in your opinion) to having the baby at home (midwife would attend) vs. at the birth center. I haven't even talked this over with the midwife yet, but I'd like to have some info before that. For me the benefit was being unassisted, so naturally for you things would be different. I have only ever heard one birth center "horror" story where a friend of mine was checked by someone wearing a latex glove. My friend was highly allergic to latex and it ended in a transfer and an emergency c-section but I've heard transfer stories from homebirthers too. In the end the benefit is you have your bed four feet away from you instead of four blocks.

And I'm just gonna list some of my concerns and then hopefully you gals can give me some feedback/guidance/direction/etc...

#1, where the HECK would I put a birth tub? We have a very very small house (under 900 sq ft) and there's not a lot of floor space. How much room do they take up? Your house sounds like ours - and while we didn't end up using a pool we had decided that if we got one we would set it up in the dining room and push the table out of the way.

#2. what if my house is a mess or dirty? would I need to thoroughly cleanse my house? cleanse, no... you may want to straighten though. I'm not usually what one would call "tidy" but my house drove me NUTS while I was in labor I hated all the clutter around me.

#3. dealing with questions/concerns from family members. My mom seems *okay* with the idea once I told her the midwife would definitely be there. But I know I'd get some negative feedback from other people. I got negative feedback from a lot of people mostly in the form of trying to instill self doubt. You have to deal with it just like you would deal with the nay-sayers of natural childbirth in a hospital - a great deal of headstrong confidence and education. I must say that afterwards the "told you so" factor is kind of fabulous.

#4. what are the risks involved? are they really any more than having the baby at the BC? I haven't looked at the comparison of HB vs. BC but I will say (and I mean this light heartedly in a serious way) the less you have to do to get there the less risk there is. Just think if you don't leave your house there's no risk of car accident or meeting someone with a new interesting germ!

#5. I don't know if my insurance would cover it... I'm on state/medicaid and I don't know for sure how that would work. They do cover the BC for sure, but I don't know about homebirth. how would I go about asking them about it? I couldn't tell you but it sounds like you've got some help on this one already

I can't find a link I'm looking for right now (has tons of birth stories) but if I had to choose I would read lots of birth stories from birth centers and from home births and see which sounds more like you are looking for.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

February 4th, 2007, 07:04 AM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, these ladies have definately been offering great advice in my absence, gosh I've missed you girls. Kelilee I'm thrilled to see you here. I will tell you that the aquadoula is taking up a TON of space in my house right now, but I really could have partially assembled it until the time came....i was just impatient! Birth centers are awesome in lots of ways too, i know April is THRILLED with her BC birth, I for one, really am just so happy that I'm not going to be leaving the house. That takes so much out of the stress level for me... NO carseat to install right now, no back to pack, no babysitter for DD, just easy-peasy, when it happens, all i do is call the MW.

Ditto on the germs. Don't sweat it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search