homebirth after c-section?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 9th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Veteran
Has anyone here had a successful homebirth after having a previous c-section?

My first child was born over 3 years ago by c-section. I had been seeing a midwife for my prenatal care. At my 5 month or so ultrasound it was found that I had placenta previa. My next ultrasound was scheduled for a month later to see if my situation had improved, it had a little bit. I can't even remember accurately if I had a third ultrasound. I was referred to an ob doctor and still had the care of a midwife. I ended up having an emergency c-section at full term after 36 hours of labour. The baby's heart rate was really low and the midwives decided that I needed a c-section.
So, now I want to have a VBAC with this baby and have found out that one of the hospitals won't allow it. I could still have a hospital birth at the one where I had my first child. But, I would like to hear from someone who has had a homebirth after c-section.
Expecting #2 in October
February 10th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I haven't but I know a LOT of women who have. My midwife's first was a c/s and her second was a homebirth. I had a good friend who had *3* c/s and had her fourth vaginally in a natural hospital birth and her fifth and sixth at home unassisted.

Check out ICAN. I'm sure you can find HBACers on there (in fact my midwife and my friend are both active ICAN members).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

February 10th, 2007, 08:55 AM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't either, but I also know lots of women who have. Its very common, i personally believe you are at more risk in a hospital with all their interventions. I think home is way to go! But just so you know, if you DO decide to go the hospital route, they cannot force you to have another section. It's against the law. check out Ican.com and the EMTALA act.
February 10th, 2007, 08:19 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know several women who have.

Check out homebirth midwives in your area - theyll probably be glad to put you in touch with some women who have.

Also - DO check out Ican-online's website. Find out your rights re: vbac. It is illegal for a hospital to force you into a cesarean. If you show up in labor, they MUST accept you & cannot turn you away by LAW and you also do NOT have to have a cesarean against your will even if you have had a previous cesarean. Challenge their rules, even if you decide to have a homebirth. Also check and see if theres an ICAN chapter nearby - they may be able to help you find a provider who will help you VBAC.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
February 12th, 2007, 11:29 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I have had two homebirths after a csection an am planning another right now.

I had a csection with #4 because he was transverse on my edd, but the day I showed up for the section he had turned and was head down. They had already prepped me before they did the u/s to check for position, so when I said I wanted to go home, they made me feel HORRIBLE!! The nurse even told me my baby could die if I left because I had had a previous large (10 1/2 lbs) baby who had shoulder dystocia.

If I were you I would contact some homebirth midwives in your area and talk with them. I agree that the risks can be higher in hospital births because of the interventions.
#12 is on the way
February 13th, 2007, 02:37 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There is a lovely woman on here by the name of harvestgal who just had a successful UBAC in china. I'm sure hers will be a great story to read once it is up!
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

February 14th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Radish4ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a VERY successful HBAC 3 weeks ago!!!! I ABSOLUTELY recommend it - it was WONDERFUL, empowering, and FAR easier than a Cesarean! By a week post partum, I felt 100%, all my swelling was gone, I was walking fine, etc - and I pushed out a 10 lb, 1 oz baby!! YEAH! It was wonderful being able to hold my toddler in my lap right away, being able to lift more than just my baby, and to be able to move without worrying about the incision!!

Here is a short version of my birth story
Michael Alton was born 1-24-07 (also my birthday!) at 12:11 p.m. He was born at home after less than 5 hours of labor! Only 21 minutes of pushing and no tears (or 'roids! YAY)! Woohoo!
He was - 10 lb, 1 oz
- 22 1/2 inches long
Basically I woke up at 7:15am after Michael punched my bladder REALLY hard, went to the bathroom and saw I'd totally lost my plug and had been feeling a few contractions.........

DH left for work at 7:45, I called him at 8:10 and told him to get back home.... He got home at 8:35 and we left for my midwife appt. that was at 9AM.... When I got there, I was already at a 4cm and 100% effaced and working REALLY hard through my contractions (I really don't remember much of the visit even though we were there for almost an HOUR!)...... on the ride home, I was in TRANSITION already! (Yeah, less than 3 hours after starting cx!)......

When I got home, I tried the birth ball and was yelling out stuff like "JESUS, OPEN IT UP - OPEN UP MY CERVIX! LORD HELP ME THROUGH THIS CONTRACTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!" as loud as possible and wouldn't let DH help me at all... my mom came and got our 20 month old DD, I took a quick shower and then stationed myself on the toilet.... then I had DH call the midwives to go ahead and come over...

by the time the first midwife got there, I was pushy feeling..... but not pushing yet... Eventually, she convinced me to get off of the toilet at 11:45... I started pushing at 11:50 (on the edge of my bed with one leg up on the side of the box spring and the other on the floor) and pushed for 21 minutes.... and out popped little Michael! It was NOTTTTTT even close to as bad as I thought it would be at ALL!! In fact, on the video, a few minutes after the birth I said "Oh my gosh! I thought that was going to be so much harder! Is that weird?!" lol

I felt like pushing my placenta out within a few minutes after the birth and my midwives obliged. I did faint momentarily when trying to go to the bathroom a while after the birth and as a precaution, my midwives gave me oxygen and a shot of pitocin to get my uterus to do its thing after the birth (I didn't hold the baby a whole lot right after I fainted, so my uterus wasn't contracting like it would've been if he'd been nursing).... Anyway, all was well and the midwives were FANTASTIC!

Anyone in the west Texas area should certainly seek out the services of Motherly Way Maternity Services! Kelli and Shanna (and their apprentice Mel) were absolutely WONDERFUL!!!)

This has been a healing and surreal experience! My DD was born via C/S after 42 hours of labor (water broke prior to cx) due to posterior positioning and a cocked head (she was an attempted natural birth center birth, so the C/S was very disappointing to me!)...... so we were shocked that this one went off without a hitch and SO quickly!

Here are some links to some pics!
Here he is moments after birth:
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/8977/dscf0001zv9.jpg

Here we are a few minutes later!
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/8049/dscf0005ay2.jpg

Here he is with his grandma (my mom) and big sister Grace later that evening when they met him for the first time!:
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/1875/dscf0007fd1.jpg

-Jenn
February 25th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have a friend who did an unassisted homebirth after a c-section.

February 26th, 2007, 06:33 AM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I had a VERY successful HBAC 3 weeks ago!!!! I ABSOLUTELY recommend it - it was WONDERFUL, empowering, and FAR easier than a Cesarean! By a week post partum, I felt 100%, all my swelling was gone, I was walking fine, etc - and I pushed out a 10 lb, 1 oz baby!! YEAH! It was wonderful being able to hold my toddler in my lap right away, being able to lift more than just my baby, and to be able to move without worrying about the incision!!

Here is a short version of my birth story
Michael Alton was born 1-24-07 (also my birthday!) at 12:11 p.m. He was born at home after less than 5 hours of labor! Only 21 minutes of pushing and no tears (or 'roids! YAY)! Woohoo!
He was - 10 lb, 1 oz
- 22 1/2 inches long
Basically I woke up at 7:15am after Michael punched my bladder REALLY hard, went to the bathroom and saw I'd totally lost my plug and had been feeling a few contractions.........

DH left for work at 7:45, I called him at 8:10 and told him to get back home.... He got home at 8:35 and we left for my midwife appt. that was at 9AM.... When I got there, I was already at a 4cm and 100% effaced and working REALLY hard through my contractions (I really don't remember much of the visit even though we were there for almost an HOUR!)...... on the ride home, I was in TRANSITION already! (Yeah, less than 3 hours after starting cx!)......

When I got home, I tried the birth ball and was yelling out stuff like "JESUS, OPEN IT UP - OPEN UP MY CERVIX! LORD HELP ME THROUGH THIS CONTRACTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!" as loud as possible and wouldn't let DH help me at all... my mom came and got our 20 month old DD, I took a quick shower and then stationed myself on the toilet.... then I had DH call the midwives to go ahead and come over...

by the time the first midwife got there, I was pushy feeling..... but not pushing yet... Eventually, she convinced me to get off of the toilet at 11:45... I started pushing at 11:50 (on the edge of my bed with one leg up on the side of the box spring and the other on the floor) and pushed for 21 minutes.... and out popped little Michael! It was NOTTTTTT even close to as bad as I thought it would be at ALL!! In fact, on the video, a few minutes after the birth I said "Oh my gosh! I thought that was going to be so much harder! Is that weird?!" lol

I felt like pushing my placenta out within a few minutes after the birth and my midwives obliged. I did faint momentarily when trying to go to the bathroom a while after the birth and as a precaution, my midwives gave me oxygen and a shot of pitocin to get my uterus to do its thing after the birth (I didn't hold the baby a whole lot right after I fainted, so my uterus wasn't contracting like it would've been if he'd been nursing).... Anyway, all was well and the midwives were FANTASTIC!

Anyone in the west Texas area should certainly seek out the services of Motherly Way Maternity Services! Kelli and Shanna (and their apprentice Mel) were absolutely WONDERFUL!!!)

This has been a healing and surreal experience! My DD was born via C/S after 42 hours of labor (water broke prior to cx) due to posterior positioning and a cocked head (she was an attempted natural birth center birth, so the C/S was very disappointing to me!)...... so we were shocked that this one went off without a hitch and SO quickly!

Here are some links to some pics!
Here he is moments after birth:
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/8977/dscf0001zv9.jpg

Here we are a few minutes later!
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/8049/dscf0005ay2.jpg

Here he is with his grandma (my mom) and big sister Grace later that evening when they met him for the first time!:
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/1875/dscf0007fd1.jpg

-Jenn[/b]
Wow, how beautiful, i can totally feel how birth high you are right now!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search