HBers have more babies?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2007, 06:27 PM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I read recently that the pain of birth triggers a hormone that makes everything a little fuzzy and rose-colored later on.

When you have an epidural, they said, as soon as the pain is gone, everything is really clear, you notice with extreme clarity certain details and moments.

However, people with epidurals often report the experience as having been HORRIBLE, the memory is worse.

So, I've often wondered why HBers and Natural birthers seem to have more children, this is apparently why! When your body works properly, birth is remembered as "not that bad" and in a sweet light. Take the pain, the feeling, the emotion out, and it's a dark place that women don't want to go to again.
February 12th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow! that is pretty amazing.. i never would have known to connect those things
i actually look forward to birth because of the stories of homebirthers and natural birthers.. its what i look forward to most in pregnancy

February 12th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Wow. I didn't not want to have anymore after ds (epi), but I sure as heck didn't want an experience like that ever again. Makes a lot of sense to me!

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
February 13th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just laughed out loud at this one! Not because it's funny, but because I'm about to have my 9th child, 8th homebirth! I've had some really rough labors, and yet I still keep doing it again and again! LOL!

Mama to:
Nick, 18
Abby, 16
Gabe, 14
Isaac, 12
Mary-Kate, 11
Sam, 9
Henry, 8
Molly, 7
Mark, 5
Greta, 4
Cecilia,2
Josephine,1
Baby due Jan. 2014
February 13th, 2007, 06:56 AM
and also how the pain we feel in birth naturally is SO much better than the pain you would feel if say teh epi wore off, b/c once you get the epi, none of your bodies hormonal/chemical coping mechanisms are in place anymore. So the pain is WAY worse.

After DD (induced, pit, epi) I wanted more CHILDREN, but not anymore BIRTH. Now i'm so excited about my BIRTH, that i can't even believe it, neither can anyone else, actually. You ladies are the only ones who don't think I'm crazy.
February 14th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Fascinating. I definitely still view my epidural labor with Ani as WAY worse than my boys, both unmedicated, one at a freestanding birthing center, one at home. When I was IN labor with Fritz my midwife asked me how many more I'd have and I said 3 more after Fritz.

As a side note I was in labor for the first time 7 years ago today and less than 24 hours from meeting my little girl

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

February 14th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I guess I'm the opposite. I remember the pain most clearly from my home waterbirth. I even had nightmares about the pain for weeks afterward. But it's still the one I remember most fondly. It was indeed the most special, the most sacred, and the only way I'd want to do it again.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
February 14th, 2007, 09:15 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, there is a very powerful connection with oxytocin & all the other hormones that work together in such an intricate & amazing way. Pitocin, the synthetic form of oxytocin, doesnt cross the blood brain barrier, and has none of the same emotional or psychological effects as the natural form... and therefore, the bonding and in love feeling during and after birth isnt the same. Its what gives us that fuzzy feeling when we look back on it, its what makes us have that bond immediately after, etc. And while there are a few exceptions, most NCB'ers report far fewer cases of PPD, and increased bonding sooner.

A recent post about bonding was in our playroom, so many mothers say they dont feel bonded until a month or later after their baby is born. Which Im not surprised by. When labor is augmented, intervened, etc... you tend to see more of that. Not tos ay it never happens to moms with NCB, but the absence of those hormones certainly plays a huge role u know?

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
February 20th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Just wanted to comment that I totally agree with this! With my epi birth, there wasn't any "pain" but I don't remember the experience fondly. What I remember is the jerk nurse, my mom pushing her way in and the painful tear. All bad enough for me to have wanted to do it differently. How do I see my natural birth? Right after it was over I was stunned by what I had been through, but I soon remember it being "not that bad" as far as pain goes. And compared to the other birth, I loved it! I started talking about "next time". And yet with my sis she had such a terrible epi hospital birth with her first she never wanted to have kids again and it took her 3 years to come to the point where she wanted to get pregnant again. And yes, if natural childbirth is SO bad, why do we all look back on it with fond memories and want to do it again? I actually want to revisit my childbirth sometimes because I thought the experience was so amazing. Would I really want to do that if it was so painful? My body's own hormones took care of the painful experience for me is what it feels like and all I was left with is the wonderful memories.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

February 20th, 2007, 12:23 PM
I can now fully appreciate both sides of this and it's really interesting. I've had the birth and I must say, it was harder and more painful than I could have ever imagined. However, I still want to cry with joy just thinking about it. It was so primal and beautiful and amazing. The first couple of days after, I would have the after pains and shudder with the memory of how awful those contractions had been, i didn't think I'd ever get over that. but I have. I don't not remember the pain, but the memory of the pain grows less vivid, while the JOY of the whole things intensifies. Ahhh, god love homebirth.
February 28th, 2007, 07:02 AM
AndoriaC's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Popping in from the August DDC.. just wanted to comment on this

I did not have a home birth with my first, but I did do it naturally. And afterwords, everyone was asking me "So, will you ever do it again?" (have more kids, that is) And were totally shocked when I said "Absolutely, Birth was no where near as bad as everyone told me it would be." I mean, yeah, it hurt.. but knowing that I did it - just me - was so impowering!

Seven years later.. I'm finally getting to do it again!!

Click For My Digital Scrapbook Blog</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search