all about comfort

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This came up on my "home" board.. it came out that one member felt that women choose homebirth for comfort of the mom as opposed to the safety of the baby... I did send medical and journal and studies and literature to change the outlook... have you ever heard this?

February 14th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, I haven't.

Everyone who tells me homebirth is nuts, says "But I will be so much more COMFORTABLE in the hospital! Wouldn't you?"

Honestly there are two sides to comfort ... of course there's physical comfort, which I guess is what she's talking about, and also mental comfort, not having to worry about more things than necessary. But her argument is exactly the reverse of what most people say ... that the hospital is MORE comfortable, while she's saying home is more comfortable. Does she think everyone should get an epidural because birth is incredibly painful? If so how does she think being at home is more comfortable? That's not what I think of it but that's what her logic leads me to think about. That's so different from what I hear most of the time.

</div>
February 14th, 2007, 08:42 PM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
I've heard it mentioned on JM a few times. The comfort of the mother actually has quite a bit to do with the safety/health of the baby, though, if you think about it. I think the mothers comfort goes hand in hand with the baby's safety. This did play a part in my decision to choose a homebirth. I know that if I was in the hospital giving birth I would be so scared of what they might try to do to me (as far as interventions go) that I would not be able to have a successful labor. If I was tense and freaking out the entire time I would not be able to go into "laborland" or relax enough to even dilate properly. This would hinder my progression, I'm sure, which could lead to many more risky interventions. At home I can be totally relaxed and that will allow my body to progress naturally, giving my baby a better chance at being born without stress.

That is only a part of my decision. If it was unsafe there is no way I would do it. For me, I feel that homebirth is a safer decision than a hospital birth for many reasons. I do understand, though, how a homebirth could be risky if you live too far away from a hospital or your home didn't have emergency access for whatever reason but that's a different story.

I think it goes both ways, too... a mother who chooses to have a hospital birth usually makes that choice based on her comfort as well.

</MARQUEE>
February 14th, 2007, 10:29 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh yes, my OB said that to me. He made a comment about how homebirth was "more about the mother wanting a certain experience, but doesn't have any benefit for the baby."

I laughed at him. If you have a more relaxed mother, the risk for complication drops significantly. And how does that compromise the safety of the baby exactly????
February 15th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
ACK! Yes, I've heard this before. Tell me though, about those women who ask for the epi at the first little pang? Isn't that all about their 'comfort'? Everyone knows there are risks to both mom and baby from an epi, drugs, etc... but, no need to 'feel' childbirth this day and age, right?

Yes, that's right folks, I have my babies at home, raise them, day in and day out, homeschool them, nurse them for years on end, heck, have 9 of them, all because I want to be comfortable...

Mama to:
Nick, 18
Abby, 16
Gabe, 14
Isaac, 12
Mary-Kate, 11
Sam, 9
Henry, 8
Molly, 7
Mark, 5
Greta, 4
Cecilia,2
Josephine,1
Baby due Jan. 2014
February 15th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Honestly I homebirth for both reasons.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

February 15th, 2007, 08:17 AM
it just didnt make sense to me... i'd never heard that and thought "wait aren't you going to the hospital so that they can make you more comfortable"? I'd just never heard anyone describe homebirth that way, and it really confused me on how that was the conclusion that people came to about why we chose homebirth

February 15th, 2007, 12:49 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I haven't heard that one before. Giving birth is not exactly "comfortable" whether at home or the hospital (I've done both). I would love to see the thread and figure out exactly what that comment was supposed to mean!.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

February 15th, 2007, 03:07 PM
hmm i'll at least post the comment

"I wanna give birth at a hospital, my child's safety is more important, not my comfort. I understand those who choose homebirth though."

February 15th, 2007, 05:45 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
The only sense I can make out of that is "I'm gonna make a mostly meaningless but nonetheless insulting comment and then cover my rear by saying I totally understand." Well, I'm hope that the thought may enter somebody's mind that homebirth can be both safe and "comfortable".

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

February 15th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I plan to HB for both reasons too. For one, our hospital is notorious for the mistreatment of mothers and infants, forcing unneccessary interventions, and making degrading or otherwise insulting comments. For two, I HATE hospitals, everything about them. They don't just make me uncomfortable, they make me angry.

If it came down to an emergency, I'm not worried... the hospital is literally two blocks away (another reason I'm getting inlaw flack about staying at home). I would much rather be able to zone out in my own home, go into "mommy mode" and just do my thing than be yelled at to push, jabbed, poked, prodded etc. Not really conducive to a pleasant labor experience for me. The last time around, between me and my mom, we nearly knocked the teeth out of several people... not to mention she kicked the ob out of the room and delivered my daughter because he was a total jerk.
February 15th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I plan to HB for both reasons too. For one, our hospital is notorious for the mistreatment of mothers and infants, forcing unneccessary interventions, and making degrading or otherwise insulting comments. For two, I HATE hospitals, everything about them. They don't just make me uncomfortable, they make me angry.

If it came down to an emergency, I'm not worried... the hospital is literally two blocks away (another reason I'm getting inlaw flack about staying at home). I would much rather be able to zone out in my own home, go into "mommy mode" and just do my thing than be yelled at to push, jabbed, poked, prodded etc. Not really conducive to a pleasant labor experience for me. The last time around, between me and my mom, we nearly knocked the teeth out of several people... not to mention she kicked the ob out of the room and delivered my daughter because he was a total jerk.[/b]
Ugh, the hospital here is the same way. I was in with a kidney infection last year and every day this surgeon kept coming in wanting to poke my stomach and ask questions about my eating habits. Once I convinced him I didn't have indigestion he poked me harder and kept asking "Does it hurt there? DOES it?" Of course after getting poked in the stomach for 10 minutes straight it DID hurt, and when I said yes he was positively ecstatic. "OH! You have APPENDICITIS and we'll have to take that out TONIGHT!" My DF kicked him out of the room and told him never to come back, but I STILL had to tell the nurses I'd sue the hospital if they let him near me, because he kept hanging around outside my door trying to convince everyone I had appendicitis.

If they'll make a kidney infection into appendicitis, I don't even want to know what they'll make birth into.

</div>
February 15th, 2007, 10:24 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Redifer I love hearing this about your mom kicking the doctor out - that's just cool!

And Acadia you'd think a surgeon would have something better to do. Yet another reason I hate most doctors. I wonder who he could have actually helped (if anyone) while he was neglecting his real job to harrass you.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search