Vitimin K, I need some help here, please.

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
I am planning on not vaxing (please this is not a debate, I am just NOT doing it) however, I DO want Jennica to have Vitimin K. I just don't want to inject her with it and prefer to give it orally. The only problem is that the hospital I am going to does not offer oral Vitimin K, and my midwife said that there would be a chance that a nurse would call DCF if I refused the shot. I love my midwife, she lets me in on ALL info, and I know she would not call DCF but she said there is a chance that a nurse would. I told her that I am not refusing the Vit K, I am just refusing the shot. She told me to ask the Ped about it, cause once the baby is born it is out of her hands, KWIM? I can completely understand. The kid's Ped is great about the vaxing thing, or non-vaxing thing if you will. I was hoping that he could write an Rx for the oral meds and we could just put it in our hospital bag for when we go. However, if this isn't possible (I haven't talked to him yet, and won't be able to for another month) is there a place I can get it from online? DH is worried that if I get it online it might not be the "real" stuff and that worries me as well. I figured that the home-birth place would be the best source here. I am hoping you might have info on where to get medical supplies like this. I told DH that I would NOT refuse the shot IF it was the ONLY way, we both agreed, but I really don't want to have her injected with it, so I am trying to do as much research as possible so this won't happen. Please help, any info is greatly appreciated, thank you!!!
February 20th, 2007, 02:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Can't you just tell the at the hospital that you will take it up with her ped at her first visit? I don't know why your midwife would think you'd have problems if you refused it. I know lots of people that have refused it with no problem, put it in your birth plan. You have every right to refuse it along with all the other 'stuff' they want give her.

Mama to:
Nick, 18
Abby, 16
Gabe, 14
Isaac, 12
Mary-Kate, 11
Sam, 9
Henry, 8
Molly, 7
Mark, 5
Greta, 4
Cecilia,2
Josephine,1
Baby due Jan. 2014
February 20th, 2007, 05:56 AM
It is in my Birth Plan, that is why we talked about it. I am 5 months along so I still have some time, I do plan on talking to the Ped soon, but I was hoping you guys might have some info on the best place to get it online, just incase there is no way my Ped can help me there.
February 20th, 2007, 06:41 AM
short_n_swt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am another non-vaxxing soon to be mommy! And we are NOT doing the Vit K shot. There is no need to unless the baby is removed with forceps or vaccuum. To me it's a senseless shot unless the baby NEEDS it, and has a high rate of causing Jaundice. We also had to sign a waiver too.

February 20th, 2007, 08:07 AM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know where to get it, i do know they won't call dss and if they do, nothing will happen, b/c you aren't being negligent, that shot is dangerous, or can be anyway. Have you thought about supplementing YOURSELF? You can take alfalfa which is loaded with vit. k and will pass through your breastmilk at birth. Alfalfa is also really high in iron. Mine was 9.5 at 35 weeks, and when i started alfalfa tablets it went three full points in three weeks. The baby starts sucking it up at 36 weeks and needs to, as it is not in Bmilk, and it's hard to supplement after birth. Ok, alfalfa tribute over
February 20th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Radish4ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You have every right to refuse whatever you want! In order to make sure that my DS got Vit. K naturally, I supplemented my own diet with liquid chlorophyll for the first 3 weeks after birt h(you can find this at any health food store and it is rich in Vit. K and gets passed through breastmilk to the baby)
February 20th, 2007, 07:17 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was looking into oral vit. k but it was really pricey and the only place I could find it online (ebay) wasn't a steady carrier of it. I agree with those who are telling you to up your vit. k intake before giving birth then breastfeeding. It's the best way to go, but if you think that the nurses will give you trouble (which BTW they would be groundless on it's not negligence) you could try to find it online. I'd start with ebay, move to amazon, and google from there.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

February 21st, 2007, 12:09 PM
What exactly is alfalfa? Also, I heard that taking Vit K during pg will not do anything for the baby, is this just to get it established in your system so it is immediatly available inthe BM or is what I read wrong info? Also, I know I can refuse the Vit K, but there is a 5-8% chance that a healthy baby born naturally w/o forceps will get a bleed, to me, this is to high, because I tend to ALWAYS be in the smallest % for EVERYTHING, so that scares me. I agree w/ my midwife that a nurse may call DCF if I refuse this shot, but I HATE them so much, they were in our life for over a year, all because ym kids got into my lipstick that wouldn't wash out of their hair...the school said it was blood...if it was blood it would have come out immediatly, not to mention that I told the school exactly what it was when I brought them in that morning....DCF made us go to the doctor with them there, doc confirmed that it was lipstick and washed it off with an alcohol wipe...how the heck was I supposed to know to use that!? Anyway, they opened a neglect case from it and stayed in our life for over a year, it was the worst year of my life, I refuse to go through that again. I don't want to refuse the Vit K, I just want to refuse the shot, so I am looking for a way around that.
February 21st, 2007, 05:31 PM
Quote:
What exactly is alfalfa? Also, I heard that taking Vit K during pg will not do anything for the baby, is this just to get it established in your system so it is immediatly available inthe BM or is what I read wrong info? Also, I know I can refuse the Vit K, but there is a 5-8% chance that a healthy baby born naturally w/o forceps will get a bleed, to me, this is to high, because I tend to ALWAYS be in the smallest % for EVERYTHING, so that scares me. I agree w/ my midwife that a nurse may call DCF if I refuse this shot, but I HATE them so much, they were in our life for over a year, all because ym kids got into my lipstick that wouldn't wash out of their hair...the school said it was blood...if it was blood it would have come out immediatly, not to mention that I told the school exactly what it was when I brought them in that morning....DCF made us go to the doctor with them there, doc confirmed that it was lipstick and washed it off with an alcohol wipe...how the heck was I supposed to know to use that!? Anyway, they opened a neglect case from it and stayed in our life for over a year, it was the worst year of my life, I refuse to go through that again. I don't want to refuse the Vit K, I just want to refuse the shot, so I am looking for a way around that.[/b]
Alfalfa is a grass, you can get it in concentrated tablet form at walmart for like $4 for 600 tablets or so.
February 21st, 2007, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Also, I know I can refuse the Vit K, but there is a 5-8% chance that a healthy baby born naturally w/o forceps will get a bleed, to me, this is to high, because I tend to ALWAYS be in the smallest % for EVERYTHING, so that scares me.[/b]
K, I was trying to say that the Vit K is only necassary if you need the forceps or vaccuum, so why not try the alfalfa now, and if by CHANCE you have to use the forceps or vaccuum, you can always get the Vit K shot then. If you have a happy and healthy birth, why bother getting it? You can supplement it in your own diet and give the nutrients through breastfeeding to the baby. It's beneficial to you both rather then an unnecassary injection if it's not needed. Why don't you call the Children's Aid in your area, and ask them about all this? Or check with the municipality and see what their laws (if any) are on the Vit K shot? Find out for yourself rather then go through your midwife. Even call the hospital (OB) and ask them what are their views on it???

February 21st, 2007, 06:30 PM
Can you explain more on the alfalfa? I was talking to DH about this, and he seems a bit confused, cause we feed our rats alfalfa feed, lol. What are the risks...benefits....your experiences with it? Obviously I will do more research of this on my own as well, but I love to hear other people talk about their experiences with medications/herbals. Thanx so much!
February 21st, 2007, 06:57 PM
Oh, my midwife IS at the hospital, so works there with another midwife and two OBs, I just have never seen the OBs and HATE the other midwife, lol. I think that is a good idea, I will give child protections a call and find out what they say on it.

Also, I haven't been able to find any info on alfalfa during pregnancy, but lupis keeps popping up with it, my SIL has Lupus, and if I got lupus symptoms from this tablet, I dunno what I'd do, she is in such rough shape from it, I couldn't imagine going through that......obviously the symptoms go away after you stop taking it (assuming you get them at all) but that still worries me. If you have any links on alfalfa during pregnancy, I'd like very much to check it out, thanx again!
February 22nd, 2007, 05:24 PM
I found this for you:

Foods that contain a significant amount of vitamin K include chlorophyll, green tea, turnip greens, broccoli, spinach, cabbage, asparagus, and dark green lettuce.

Supplements of fat-soluble chlorophyll are an excellent source of vitamin K.

Water-soluble chlorophyll is the most common form of vitamin K found over the counter. The water-soluble form is not absorbed into the body, and is useful for treatment of skin, and to reduce body odor.

Vitamin K is available in multivitamin complexes, and as 5-mg tablets

Daily intake for dietary vitamin K (according to the U.S. RDA) are listed below:

Pediatric

* Infants birth to 6 months: 2 mcg
* Infants 7 to 12 months: 2.5 mcg
* Children 1 to 3 years: 30 mcg
* Children 4 to 8 years: 55 mcg
* Children 9 to 13 years: 60 mcg
* Adolescents 14 to 18 years: 75 mcg

To prevent neonatal hemorrhage: a healthcare provider administers three 1 to 2 mg doses, the first given at the first feeding, the second at 2 to 4 weeks, and the third at 8 weeks.

Adult

* Males 19 years and older: 120 mcg
* Females 19 years and older: 90 mcg
* Pregnant and breastfeeding females 14 to 18 years: 75 mcg
* Pregnant and breastfeeding females 19 years and older: 90 mcg

Vitamin K is excreted in breast milk, and crosses the placenta. Pregnant women and women who are breast-feeding should consult their health care provider before starting vitamin K supplements.

Hope this helps a little. Go into a natural supplement store or call a homeopathic doctor, OR check in with the pharmacist. There are plenty of ways to get Vit K to the baby without having the shot. Let me know what decide to do in any event

February 22nd, 2007, 07:50 PM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
Quote:
Can you explain more on the alfalfa? I was talking to DH about this, and he seems a bit confused, cause we feed our rats alfalfa feed, lol. What are the risks...benefits....your experiences with it? Obviously I will do more research of this on my own as well, but I love to hear other people talk about their experiences with medications/herbals. Thanx so much![/b]

I hope you meant rabbits. Alfalfa is indigestible to rats and mice. If you want an easy, cheap recipe for a quality homemade rat diet PM me.

Jenny

PS- I know what I'm talking about. Whiskers 'N Tails Mousery

</MARQUEE>
February 22nd, 2007, 08:33 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did alfalfa supplements along with nettle (another good source) for the last 5 weeks of my pg and for the 5 weeks postpartum.

BTW, a baby's natural vit k levels are only really low for the first 3 days. So as long as there is no trauma at birth, and circumcision is either delayed or not done at all, then there is very little need for it. Many parents who choose to naturally supplement vit k also choose to postpone heel pricks until after 3 days. The heel prick they do at the hospital for PKU isnt even valid on BF babies until AT LEAST 3 days postpartum. This is b/c your milk doesnt come in until usually 3 days postpartum on AVERAGE (some earlier, most first time moms later), and the PKU test is not valid until the baby has ingested, digested, and excreted breastmilk.

Hope that helps

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
February 23rd, 2007, 04:07 PM
info on alfalfa in pg.

Alfalfa is loaded with vitamins A, D, E, and K, eight digestive enzymes, and numerous trace minerals. It is particularly helpful in late pregnancy because the vitamin K it supplies promotes proper blood clotting, thereby reducing the risk of postpartum hemorrhage.

Alfalfa, with its deep root system, contains many essential nutrients including trace minerals, chlorophyll and vitamin K, a nutrient necessary for blood clotting. Many midwives advise drinking mild tasting alfalfa tea or taking alfalfa tablets during the last trimester of pregnancy to decrease postpartum bleeding or chance of hemorrhaging. Alfalfa also increases breast milk, as alfalfa hay is fed daily to milking goats and other dairy animals.
February 24th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Covered in Mommy, do you have the link for that info? Ive been looking for info on it too! TIA

February 24th, 2007, 12:39 PM
bubblesispreggers: LOL! I knew we used to feed it to our rabbts, I had to check again in the rat food, and no, it isn't in it, no corn either, lol. Thanx for that info though, I'll make sure to keep my eye on that, a LOT of "rat food" isn't safe for rats, I thought that was CRAZY! The ONLY Rat Food at Wal*Mart, specifically says "Rat food and other pocket pets" and the main ingredient is corn, I wanted to ask them to take it off the shelf, I didn't, but I am still debating it.

I LOVE spinich, so maybe I will just up my intake of spinich a little bit, do you know if that is the cold spinich that I use in salads as well as the cooked/canned spinich? I love both, but I don't want to up one if it makes a difference, KWIM? Thanx all!

LOL! Bubbles! I just looked at your website, I LOVE that pic on the main page, those ears are adorable and so HUGE, lol. Thanx for sharing!
February 24th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Covered in Mommy, do you have the link for that info? Ive been looking for info on it too! TIA [/b]

I just googled "alfalfa pregnancy" and that's what I got, they were from hippy sites

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search