Unassisted CB

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2007, 11:52 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Who has had an unassisted birth? How did you prepare for it? Who was with you? How do you file for a birth certificate?

I have had four hospital births, two MW attended homebirths and I do have a MW lined up for this homebirth too. I labored all the way to almost complete before the MW's arrived the last two times, pretty much they just caught the baby, cleaned 'em up, and filled out their paperwork. I really like my MW's but I kinda feel like I pay them to watch.
I keep thinking I could do this by myself, but I am not sure if there are things I am not considering here. I am pretty sure I could convince my mom to be with me during the birth. Am I being selfish or stupid?
#12 is on the way
March 7th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
I have never had a HB before, let alone a UCB, lol. However, I was asking Redifer some ?'s in Chat yesterday and she was telling me that in order to get your baby's Birth Certificate, you just need to show proof of pregnancy (you midwife can provide this or even family members) and preferably a doctor's letter that you had the baby checked out shortly after birth (within a couple days). I am very interested in this, but I don't want to just yet, I feel more comfy in the hospital. But that doesn't stop me from checking this stuff out, lol. Maybe I will work up the nerve by the time I am pregnant with our last child, lol.
March 7th, 2007, 09:16 PM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
I can't offer any advice but I just wanted to let you know that I don't think it's selfish or stupid as long as you are prepared. Are you considering an unassisted pregnancy as well or just the birth? If you want to go the UP route there would be more research and preparation involved. Either way, as long as you educate yourself enough to handle the situation then I see no problem with it.

</MARQUEE>
March 8th, 2007, 11:09 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
We planned for an unassisted birth for our last baby... she ended up being born "still" but we went ahead and had her unassisted and at home. I posted her birth story in the stillbirth section of the forum.

What you need for a birth certificate will vary by state and maybe even by county. I would suggest you contact the office of vital records for your state. They will know what is required or put you in touch with who you need to talk to in your county.

Deciding to go through pregnancy and birth unassisted is not a decision to be made lightly. We weren't sure at the time why God was bringing us to do this, but we came to see the wisdom of His plan and why everything had to come together the way it did.

Best of luck to you.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

March 8th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
my friend
http://babyslime.livejournal.com/

had an unassisted VBAC.

March 8th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I did. For her bc, I emailed the vital records dept and they sent out the paperwork. I just needed proof of pg (which my neighbor signed for me, and my landlord notarized). Thats it.

As far as what I actually needed for birth, well, we had towels, plastic garbage bags to put under the towels (worked just fine), clean scissors, and a shoe lace (new) to tie the cord with. You can buy birthing kits online though too (just google them).

I labored by myself for a bit (about an hour and a half), then woke up dh. My mom (who was visiting from out of state) woke up when I was almost screaming not long before pushing. We woke ds up a few minutes after she was born.

We didn't need any note saying she's been seen by a doctor or anything (since she's never been seen by a doctor!).

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
March 11th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Haven't yet, but you're definitely not alone in your feelings (as you can see from everyone else)! I don't think you're being selfish or stupid at all. I can't understand how preparing yourself to birth alone is more misguided than never researching a thing and doing something wrong when the baby's born in the car on the way to the hospital/birth center/whatever. I don't mean you said that, I mean that's the feeling I get from people who say it's irresponsible or silly ... that you're being "more responsible" by not preparing and handing everything over to someone who makes a living watching babies come out of vaginas. If you feel like you NEED someone to do that of course it's a great thing to have a choice, but since you don't ... why?

Anyway, yep, unassisted is my plan so far too.

As for stuff you're not thinking of ... how to prepare, who will be there, and how to handle things afterward is really all you should need to know!

</div>
March 11th, 2007, 01:07 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I promise to edit this into a nice long response here soon, but for now I'll just say I've done it, my birth story is posted in the UC section and birth certif requ. vary by county.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search