Met the Midwife

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2007, 06:20 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
She was so nice! It was just a visit, not a prenatal, so we just chatted a little bit... small talk, but also talked about birth philosophy, some of our experience, her experience, and what we want. I told her I'm going to have to think more about what exactly it is I want her to do. Past experience has shown that I definitely labor best when I am left alone, and we really just want her there in case anything comes up that DH and I couldn't handle. But when it comes down to it, I might decide I don't want her there at all. But she seemed to be very supportive of that, and if I "don't call her in time" what is she gonna do?

The only disappointment is that she is completely against the use of all ultrasound... which means she doesn't use a doppler. I am suspicious of the safety of ultrasound myself, but I was really hoping to hear a heartbeat! That's okay, though.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

March 12th, 2007, 12:39 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow!

Glad to hear it went well

My MW didnt do much in the way of dopplers unless there was say a problem during labor & she needed to get hear heart tones quickly... but she would always use her fetoscope and once she found the heartbeat shed let me listen. My son also got to hear them with the fetoscope

So you wont be completely out of luck just ask to hear with the fetoscope!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
March 12th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
I am glad you like her. Sorry about the doppler thing, but like Lala said maybe you can hear with a fetoscope.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

March 12th, 2007, 04:27 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Yeah, we have a fetoscope that I was given during my last pregnancy. They generally aren't useful until 20+ weeks, so I'm going to get an exercise in patience.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

March 13th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Glad it went well. My MW only uses the doppler if there are suspicions. We used it at my last prenatal because of all the bleeding I've had and the loss of one baby. Otherwise I wait till 20+ weeks too!

Mama to:
Nick, 18
Abby, 16
Gabe, 14
Isaac, 12
Mary-Kate, 11
Sam, 9
Henry, 8
Molly, 7
Mark, 5
Greta, 4
Cecilia,2
Josephine,1
Baby due Jan. 2014
March 13th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
My midwife only used a doppler during labor. In fact during labor is the first time she ever listened to Fritz's heartbeat. I always listened to it with my regular stethoscope starting around 28 weeks. I could feel him kicking at 14 weeks so I knew he was okay in there.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search