First Time Moms and Homebirth

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 13th, 2007, 12:50 PM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
I'm just curious what you all think about first time moms and homebirths. I am a soon-to-be first time mom and I'm planning a homebirth (most of you know this, lol).

Do you think first time moms-to-be have a good chance of a successful homebirth, do you think they are more likely to transfer-- if so, for what reasons, do you think they should have a hospital birth first, what do you think in general?

</MARQUEE>
March 14th, 2007, 07:48 AM
StudentMidwife06's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to StudentMidwife06
I'm not a mom yet. But i plan on birthing all of my babies at home. (I'd like them to be unassisted as well.)
March 14th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Super Mommy
I'm a first time mom, but I don't know if I am the best one to talk to. My planned homebirth ended in a hospital transfer... and then a c-section. I have made my peace with it, but I had a hard time at the beginning. I do know several first time moms who did transfer to hospital, but I also know lots of first-timers that had beautiful homebirths. I think the stats do show that first-timers are more likely to transfer, but I think it has more to do with the fact that you have no experience to base your expectations on. I still believe that the vast majority of women can birth at home complication and medication free if that is their choice. I also believe that you need to be committed to your decision, but remain flexible. Birth is a fluid process and I think the best way to birth is to remain fluid yourself. Commit yourself to the journey and be willing to go with whatever you are faced with. Make sure that your support team are well advised of your wishes beforehand. They will be your rocks and help to guide you on your path.

I hope this helps. I know that you are getting close and this must be close to your mind. The one thing you just have to keep repeating is that you know your own body and you know this is the right decision for you. You can do this!!

Kimbo
March 14th, 2007, 12:24 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, my second was born at home, but looking back my first COULD have been had I been better informed (We had a planned hospital birth so its irrelevant).

Just a little info: First time moms are more likely to need to transfer than second+ time moms, BUT, statistically, you are more likely to have a successful homebirth than need a transport. And - transport doesnt always mean cesarean birth. Most transports in first time moms come from regulations put on midwives for time limits that licensing or practiciing laws have on midwives for things such as rupture of membranes, pushing, labor, etc.

There are 2 local midwives here: one is licensed, and the other is a lay midwife. THe licensed MW has stricter guidelines of course - she has about a 20% transport rate for first time mothers... and about a 5% cesarean rate.

The lay midwife has a much lower transport rate for first time moms - I think its less than 10%. She wont transport just b/c your waters been broken for 24 hours, for example.

Hope that helps

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
March 15th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i had my one and only baby girl at home.

it was an amazing experience, with the help of a great midwife. i had a water birth with Lily~

i visualized the exact birth that i gave.. even without experience.

so.. yes!! i just know it is possible!!

but with first-timers.. there is always the unknown on how your body is set-p for birthing. i guess that is the reason. but.... we are designed for childbirth, so more often than not we are capable of the birth we desire.

good luck, and have FUN!! (i am still high off my experience.. and its been almost a year!!!) hehehehe
March 15th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Thans ladies for all of the replies!

I know I can do this! My MW is wonderful too so that is a plus. I was just wanting to hear about other first-time-mom experiences.

Jenny

</MARQUEE>
March 16th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I know many women who have had homebirths with their first baby. They are statistically more likely to transfer, but with a good, supportive midwife and prior education (such as Hypnobabies or Bradley) they can have a homebirth no problem. Most first time mom transfers are for pain management (i.e. they want drugs).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

March 16th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've had all three of my births at home. I had a WONDERFUL midwife and I had a great support system. My husband was wonderful. I also took a Bradley class. I wouldn't have changed Xander's (my oldest) birth for anything.
March 16th, 2007, 11:13 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm actually surprised that more first time moms end up transferring. I would just think that more first-timers would be afraid of a homebirth and so wouldn't seek it out in the beginning, but once having made the decision would be just as dedicated as any btdt mom.

March 16th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Joni927's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is my first and I'm planning a home waterbirth!

Thank you so much, Jessica "dettmer26", for the beautiful siggie!

</div>
March 16th, 2007, 06:00 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The MWs here cite prolonged labor as the main reason for transports of first time moms. They have had a few who transported by their own free will, but they are few & far between. Just that the licensing guidelines here regulate how long a mother has before she gives birth & if she exceeds that shes required to transport.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
March 17th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Quote:
The MWs here cite prolonged labor as the main reason for transports of first time moms. They have had a few who transported by their own free will, but they are few & far between. Just that the licensing guidelines here regulate how long a mother has before she gives birth & if she exceeds that shes required to transport.

Lala...[/b]

That's the same here for CPM's. My MW has already told me that if I really didn't want to transport that she would stay with me though. I just love her! She wouldn't make me do it alone.

</MARQUEE>
March 17th, 2007, 08:38 PM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
that's wonderful! I'm so happy for you. My MW also says first time transports aren't for an increased amount of "complications" but rather, moms didn't expect it to be so hard, long, etc.
March 18th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
The MW who delivered Cameron delivered 80% Amish and 20% non-Amish. Her transfer rate was 2% (it's VERY rare for an Amish woman to transfer). She said of those 98% are mother request to transfer.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

March 19th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am pregnant with my first and planning a homebirth.

My SIL had a home waterbirth a few years ago with her first and only child. It went smoothly, but my brother said at one point SIL said "I can't do this, I want to go to the hospital," which was only 5 minutes away. I think she was about to give birth at any second at that point. I guess she did not expect it to be so painful, but she stayed at home and gave birth at home. She raves about her homebirth to this day. I think us first time moms-to-be need to realize that it could be painful and that our midwives know what is best for us.

« Hey | Home Birth | new here »
Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search