How naive is too naive?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2007, 03:01 PM
mrobinson
There is a huge part of me that wants to have a home birth. I get so inspired by others and the knowledge I can do this..

But then I think I'm just being way too naive about this. I have a doula, and I'm even too chicken to tell her I'm thinking about it.

How naive is too naive?
March 14th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
After having a yucky experience in the hospital with ds, there was no way I was doing that again. We considered a birth center with dd, but I just didn't feel comfortable. We opted for home (unassisted) and felt after much research and prayer that it was the best option. I think if you know the medical possibilities and are mentally prepared for them (or have someone who is) its great! Not naive.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
March 14th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
After having a yucky experience in the hospital with ds, there was no way I was doing that again. We considered a birth center with dd, but I just didn't feel comfortable. We opted for home (unassisted) and felt after much research and prayer that it was the best option. I think if you know the medical possibilities and are mentally prepared for them (or have someone who is) its great! Not naive.[/b]
ITA~ I had one hospital birth when I was 19 andit was the worst experienc of my life. Since then I have had 2 homebirths...... The difference was like night and day. This time Im planning an unassisted birth and I couldn't be at more peace with my decision. Once I decided this it was like a HUGE weight lifted off of my shoulders.
Nature didn't jip us. We are equipped with everything we need. Yes, I do think it is important to read, research and learn so you are prepared. BUT, I also believe the most preperation you need to build is that within your soul. Reconnecting with nature (for me, or God for anyone eles) Your mind has control of your body. We are such powerful creatures. The medical community wants us to hand that power over to them so they an get a paycheck.

March 14th, 2007, 03:59 PM
mrobinson
I can't help but think of the possibilities.. I sent my doula an email asking her what her thoughts are.. I'm going to continue working on the hypnobirthing, and see if I research enough to do this.. I don't want to say no.. but I don't feel right about saying yes.

Thank you for your responses thus far. I completely agree with everything I've read here..
March 14th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Read, read, read M. If it's for you, you'll know it. I do think it's something you should feel at peace about. But I also know that with the right knowledge, it's a perfectly safe and sound thing to do. I'm sure your doula will have some words of wisdom for you. Let us know what you decide. And feel free to PM me with any thoughts or questions.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
March 15th, 2007, 11:55 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Read everythign you can get your hands on & if at all possible, find someone you know who has had a homebirth that you can sit down with face to face & talk to about it. Chances are yourea little nervous b/and Im sure a lot of that has to do with our society & cultures beleifs about birth & how things are supposed to be.

Ive been a doula fora couple years now, and at firs,t I dont think I would have considered a home birth. T he more I learned & saw, the more critical I became of my first hospital birth. Then, I got to know other moms who had broken out of the mold, and done homebirth & birthing center births.

Things changed. My mind shifted. But I still questioned if i was being naive, etc. It took a lot for me to really adopt the whole homebirthing situation. Even when I decided it wasnt going to happen in a hospital, it was a leap of faith to do it at home & make that decision.

But, I just kinda closed my eyes, and said hey -= what happens happens, and made up my mind that I WAS doign a homebirth. PERIOD.

And I did! And now, I just cant imagine doing it any other way & cant imagine what I aws so nervous about at first, or HOW ON EARTH I was more nervous about doing it at home than at a hospital. I had much more to fear at a hospital but I think it was a matter of the enemy you know & the friend you dont know

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
March 15th, 2007, 12:01 PM
mrobinson
Thank you all for being so supportive and understanding!

Veganmama gave me a link and I was reading more about how women who are watched give birth (reactively) different and how even cat owners are told NOT to watch the birthing kitty because of this.. I can't agree more. Like the link said, how do you feel being watched if you're having sex? How is this any different?
March 15th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Thank you all for being so supportive and understanding!

Veganmama gave me a link and I was reading more about how women who are watched give birth (reactively) different and how even cat owners are told NOT to watch the birthing kitty because of this.. I can't agree more. Like the link said, how do you feel being watched if you're having sex? How is this any different?[/b]

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!

March 15th, 2007, 09:13 PM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
After having a yucky experience in the hospital with ds, there was no way I was doing that again. We considered a birth center with dd, but I just didn't feel comfortable. We opted for home (unassisted) and felt after much research and prayer that it was the best option. I think if you know the medical possibilities and are mentally prepared for them (or have someone who is) its great! Not naive.[/b]
ITA~ I had one hospital birth when I was 19 andit was the worst experienc of my life. Since then I have had 2 homebirths...... The difference was like night and day. This time Im planning an unassisted birth and I couldn't be at more peace with my decision. Once I decided this it was like a HUGE weight lifted off of my shoulders.
Nature didn't jip us. We are equipped with everything we need. Yes, I do think it is important to read, research and learn so you are prepared. BUT, I also believe the most preperation you need to build is that within your soul. Reconnecting with nature (for me, or God for anyone eles) Your mind has control of your body. We are such powerful creatures. The medical community wants us to hand that power over to them so they an get a paycheck.
[/b]

Um, i think i love you! AMEN!
March 15th, 2007, 09:19 PM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Exactly, you ever seen your kitty scream for an epidural? Doing this HB makes SO much sense to me now, after the fact, more than ever. I am so amazed by the whole experience. It was ALL mindblowing, but the bond I felt with my son was shocking. I loved my Daughter from the first moments, but not with this intensity. I had an epi with her. After the birht, for days, when i would hold him and smell his face, he smelled like birth, that sweet wonderful smell, and I would be overcome with love and emotion and this pure feeling of JOY and connection....just with a smell. In the hospital that smell was washed off within the hour.
March 16th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I think you can do it. If it seems right to you... Go for it!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

« So Sorry | Home Birth | Hey »
Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search