Hello and questions

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2007, 03:29 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How do you find a good HBMW?

What kind of rates do they usually have?

What do you think are my chances of one taking me if I am 39/40 weeks pg?

thanks

March 14th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Super Mommy
[quote]
I found mine word of mouth, but try http://www.midwife.org/find.cfm or google midwife and your location

it sounds like 1,500-5,000 ish? Many do accept insurance. Mine charges 4,200 for prenatal care and birth and does take insurance

Depends on the midwife and how busy they are. Mine won't take more than 3-4 women due at the same time, so if she was full for that time period, she just couldn't. Start calling and asking questions. I have a friend who found her midwife at 38 weeks when they discovered baby was breech and were trying to force a c-section on her. In the end the baby was turned, but still born at home with the midwife.

Good luck!

March 14th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Yikes! I'm pretty sure my ob has already been authorized by ins. for my pre-natal care, so I don't think they'd pay on top of that. I don't think there is coverage for home births anyway. I guess it's worth looking into but we really don't have the money now to pay out of pocket.

March 14th, 2007, 05:10 PM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
Quote:

thanks[/b]

I found my MW online by googling "midwife TN." She is a CPM certified through NARM (North American Registry of Midwives- Link).

We are being charged $2100 on a sliding scale because of our income. Her usual fees are $2800. Like the pp said, a lot of them will file your insurance. You also may be able to get a discount since you will most likely only have 1 or 2 prenatals before the birth. Price really depends on your area.

I think you'd have a pretty good chance as long as you can find one who is available for that time period. Also, how far are you from Nashville, TN? You could always travel to The Farm if you wanted.

If you want, I can help you find one in your area. Just PM me if you need or want me to help in your search!

Jenny

Edit: You responded when I was typing my reply. Most good MW's aren't in it for the money! It would be very possible for you to explain your situation to them to get some help with the finances. Most are willing to work with you especially with arranging payments on a plan or something. And if your insurance covers MW's then it is just a transfer of care just like it would be if you decided to switch OB's. If they cover MW's then they couldn't tell you no, you can't switch. I hope I said that right.

</MARQUEE>
March 14th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:

thanks[/b]

I found my MW online by googling "midwife TN." She is a CPM certified through NARM (North American Registry of Midwives- Link).

We are being charged $2100 on a sliding scale because of our income. Her usual fees are $2800. Like the pp said, a lot of them will file your insurance. You also may be able to get a discount since you will most likely only have 1 or 2 prenatals before the birth. Price really depends on your area.

I think you'd have a pretty good chance as long as you can find one who is available for that time period. Also, how far are you from Nashville, TN? You could always travel to The Farm if you wanted.

If you want, I can help you find one in your area. Just PM me if you need or want me to help in your search!

Jenny

Edit: You responded when I was typing my reply. Most good MW's aren't in it for the money! It would be very possible for you to explain your situation to them to get some help with the finances. Most are willing to work with you especially with arranging payments on a plan or something. And if your insurance covers MW's then it is just a transfer of care just like it would be if you decided to switch OB's. If they cover MW's then they couldn't tell you no, you can't switch. I hope I said that right.
[/b]
oooooo!!!! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to birth at "The Farm" InaMay here I wish I was coming!!!!

March 14th, 2007, 06:17 PM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i jnow mine would prob take you, she's commited to the cause, lol. i'm sure you could get a discount, like they said, a good mw whos truly passionat about what she does isn't in it for the money.

what happened to come to the dark side...erm i nmean change your mind ?
March 14th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Quote:
i jnow mine would prob take you, she's commited to the cause, lol. i'm sure you could get a discount, like they said, a good mw whos truly passionat about what she does isn't in it for the money.

what happened to come to the dark side...erm i nmean change your mind ?[/b]
Would she be willing to fly down to Florida?

I just had a dr's appointment today and I am not dilated at all, and he already started talking of inducing after 1 week over my due date. I realized I'm tired of having to battle over the birth and the last couple weeks of pg shouldn't be this stressful.. they're a pain in the butt as it is.. I'm not scared to have a baby, but I'm scared of going to the hospital.

I never really thought that a homebirth was the best option for me right now, but like I said I'm just desperate. Maybe I'll feel differently in the morning. Today I have just been crying off and on and I'm on a hormonal roller coaster. As of this moment I just want to say to hell with it and not go back. Find someone who will deliver me at home and have an "oopsie".

ETA: I just did a quick search and found one website for a local homebirth midwife center and two birthing centers, so I will be making some calls in the morning. Can't hurt to ask...

March 15th, 2007, 12:29 AM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
I hope you find the care provider to help you achieve the birth you want! Nobody should be forced into something they are scared of. Let us know what you find out and if I can help just say so.

Jenny

</MARQUEE>
March 15th, 2007, 06:47 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry to hear you are having to battle already! I'd start refusing cervical checks post immediately, and ask to see any paperwork you have signed from his or her office as somewhere in there is probably a paragraph saying that they can treat you without asking (the OB I saw had one like that).

Where are you at? I can try to find a midwife near you, my sources are waaaaay in to the dark side.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

March 15th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
come out to BC, Canada.. widwifes are FREE!!!

but i know in my area.. you have to book a midwife pretty early on~

i wish you the best though.. and if your homeborth doesnt work.. i would look into hiring a doula at least.. someone on your side is worth everything!!

congrats and good luck!!

(i would LOVE to go to the farm too!!!)
March 15th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I'm also so sorry you are having to fight already, i wouldn't want to go back either. THe end of pg is ROUGH, a "heavy trip" as my lovely MW says, and I remember being SO grateful that I didn't have a fight to deal with in addition to the heavy emotional toll it takes on you. I agree, having someone on your side is a great idea if you can't make HB work.. Also, i'm sure you know already, but they CANNOT force you to do ANYTHING. THey can't even drop you as a client for refusing induction until more than 30 days "overdue". I would also start refusing cervical checks as I have heard of way too many OB's sneaking in a membrane strip. One girl in my DDC had that happen, and she started bleeding profusely that night and developed a high fever, had to go to the ER and was pitted that night. Baby was three weeks early b/c of some dumb ##### OB.
March 16th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
How do you find a good HBMW? Ask around, particularly in "crunchy" circles like LLL.

What kind of rates do they usually have? Depends on the going rate for your area. It's $2500 around here but that includes all the prenatals which would be pro-rated down for you most likely.

What do you think are my chances of one taking me if I am 39/40 weeks pg? Depends on the midwife. I switched to a birthing center birth when I was 37 weeks with Cameron.

BTW, I go from high, hard, and closed - in other words NOT dilated and NOT effaced - at the beginning of labor. My kids have been 7 days, 5 days, and 10 days overdue.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

March 16th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the advice and support.

Just as an update, yesterday morning I called one of the local birthing centers and someone was supposed to call me back, which didn't happen until much later that day and I worked until 7:30 so didn't get a chance to call back and get their answer. So I'll try again today.

I do have a doula. It's someone I work with so he's (yes it's a he, which is kind of funny but he's got the perfect personality ) doing it for free. In our building there is an ob who has gotten him a lot of business, and he's always joked about having a room ready in his office in case I go into labor at work, etc. Well, yesterday when I got to work I told my co-worker the situation and asked him to ask the ob what his opinion was. Found out he said whatever my wishes were is fine, and he does take my insurance. When I finally talked to the doctor myself later in the day he said he didn't want to steal me away unless I wanted to leave, and offered to do an u/s and other tests on Monday to see how she's doing and go from there.

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but when my doctor was telling me why he didn't like to go over 41 weeks, he listed as his reasons size of the baby can get to big and make a c-section necessary, and meconium. When I said many people don't consider a baby "late" until 42 weeks and asked about testing to assess her condition, his only response was you can't test for meconium.

I know I can refuse to do anything. It's not like they can come drag me to the hospital, but on the other hand if I do go past 41 weeks and a couple days and approach 42, I would like to be able to check for fetal distress. I don't want to miss anything in case it is an issue.. and I'm afraid that he will refuse to do those things if I don't consent to the induction.

So, I have a few options.. stick it out and see what happens, stick it out and possibly continue to test with the other ob, switch ob's entirely, and then depending on what the birthing centers and the local homebirth center says gives me more options. I know my insurance doesn't cover homebirths so unless they give me a huge discount that option is out.

Meanwhile, I'm going to walk, dtd, eat pineapples, eggplant parmigiana, spicy food, try acupuncture, and pray all weekend that something happens soon!

Quote:
THe end of pg is ROUGH, a "heavy trip" as my lovely MW says, and I remember being SO grateful that I didn't have a fight to deal with in addition to the heavy emotional toll it takes on you.[/b]
Exactly! The last few weeks/days of pg are so hard and I'm furious that I have to stress about this at a time when I should just be excited. I've been so fortunate to have a really healthy pg so far. In fact the only bad things that have happened are just the usual complaints: morning sickness, soreness, stuff like that. My bp is excellent, I just started to get a little bit of swelling, and the baby seems to be perfectly healthy so far. Oh, and I don't remember if I said this before or not, but when I was leaving the appointment the other day (trying not to cry) I said, well, hopefully I'll see you (the doctor) before I have to come back here. And his answer was something like, I don't think so/I doubt it. Thanks for your faith in me. Now I feel like a broken car.

March 16th, 2007, 07:19 AM
What a poo head. I guess i should have added, not only can they not drop you as a client for refusing induction, they are also required to perform and tests to check on the health of your baby that you request, to not do so would be neglect on their part. Tell them that 95% of women don't make babies too big for their bodies, and there is no way to see if it's "too big" other than going through labor, it's not something you can predict. Even if you are an almighty all-knowing all-seeing OB I pushed out a 10lb. 12oz. baby AT HOME!!!!! When his shoulders got stuck, my MW didn't say, OH GOD, YOU NEED A C-SECTION! She said, hey abbey, his shoulders are stuck, stand up. Up i stood, and out he came. True you can't test for meconium, but even if present, it's not the big deal that the baby shows make it out to be. Calcification of the placenta, that is SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN. Don't let them freak you out. ok, mini rant over.

You are a beautiful capable birthing mama! You CAN do this and you WILL do this and it wil be wonderful and magical. Your body and your baby were made for this. Go put your feet up and stop worrying.
March 24th, 2007, 03:08 PM
blissfulecho's Avatar Regular
Quote:
What a poo head. I guess i should have added, not only can they not drop you as a client for refusing induction, they are also required to perform and tests to check on the health of your baby that you request, to not do so would be neglect on their part. Tell them that 95% of women don't make babies too big for their bodies, and there is no way to see if it's "too big" other than going through labor, it's not something you can predict. Even if you are an almighty all-knowing all-seeing OB I pushed out a 10lb. 12oz. baby AT HOME!!!!! When his shoulders got stuck, my MW didn't say, OH GOD, YOU NEED A C-SECTION! She said, hey abbey, his shoulders are stuck, stand up. Up i stood, and out he came. True you can't test for meconium, but even if present, it's not the big deal that the baby shows make it out to be. Calcification of the placenta, that is SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN. Don't let them freak you out. ok, mini rant over.

You are a beautiful capable birthing mama! You CAN do this and you WILL do this and it wil be wonderful and magical. Your body and your baby were made for this. Go put your feet up and stop worrying.[/b]

How's everything going?? Hope everything turned out the way you has wished. Good luck mama and I'm sending you some gentle labor vibes!
March 25th, 2007, 08:14 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You said youre in FL? What part?

(((Hugs))) & Ditto the others More coming from me later !

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
March 26th, 2007, 06:26 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
My MW reduced her fee from $2000 (the low income end of her spectrum) to $500 for me because of financial hardship. She is one awesome lady!!

I, too, would love to check out the Farm!
#12 is on the way

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search