new here

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2007, 11:10 AM
magilatuzzi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to magilatuzzi
Hi there... I am megan, 28, df is Mike, 35. I have 3 sons, 12, 9 and 7, he has 2 girls, 10 and 5 and we have danika, 8 months together. We are expecting again in November. My midwife would like us to consider a homebirth as I deliver VERY quickly and barely made it to the hospital with dani. (I got there at 547 and had her at 549 after about 30 to 45 mins of labour at home and on the way) I have a few concerns....

1) What do you do with the older kids while delivering? I know my boys want no part in seeing that, and Dani will only be 16 months...

2) How do you prepare....what do you need? I know my mw can answer that one though

3) What if there are problems?

I think I am more rambling than anything right now, but just wanted to introduce myself and say I will be lurking!

DS Drew, 04/94, DS Braden, 10/97, DS Nick, 07/99, DD Danika 07/06, DD Gabriella 11/07,
DSD Rayelle 03/97, DSD Seryna, 06/01
</div>
March 17th, 2007, 08:34 PM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry, i started to reply to this yesterday....i must have been kidnapped by babies. So happy to see you here, sounds like you def don't need the hospital for anything! With my DD who is almost four, i just prepared with her through the whole pg, discussed the sights and sounds and smells of birth, talked about the blodd and the placenta, cord, fluid etc. Explained everything so she knew it wasn't bad if i was bleeding, that "the blood is for the baby, it keeps him safe and healthy" We watched lots of vids of birth and viewed pics online. She was giving birth herself about three times a day in the last weeks. She continually birthed a stuffed giraffe, and a few times, her frog, Carswell, lol. She even had an imaginary midwife! In the end, it happened all at night, she was with me through all of my early labor, she would walk past me and rub my back and kiss me, and go back to cartoons. THe hard labor was at night, and the baby was born at 6am. About 20 min later, we woke her up and brought her in, there was blood and baby poo and stuff everywhere, but none of it phazed her in the slightest, she was talking to my mom on the phone after the cord cutting and telling her all about it, how there was a little blood but it was ok, and the cord, it was so sweet.

Your MW will help you prepare, but we all have lists if you want them

Problems...like what?
March 18th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
1) What do you do with the older kids while delivering? I know my boys want no part in seeing that, and Dani will only be 16 months...
You can either send them to someone else's house or just have them in another part of the house, or they can choose to be right there (Ani and Cameron were there the whole time, but both got bored and chose to leave and go to the living room before Fritz was actually born). Particularly for Dani you will want someone there for her (possibly older brother or sister would be fine for that). Since you go so fast it may not even be an issue.

2) How do you prepare....what do you need? I know my mw can answer that one though
Your mw will tell you. You may want to read, hang around here, and possibly do a little research into unassisted/emergency childbirth due to the speed of Dani's birth.

3) What if there are problems?
Problems aren't all that likely, but if there are your mw will tell you what to do. I trust my mw 100% and if she were to tell me I needed to transfer or change position or something I would not hesitate.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

March 18th, 2007, 06:49 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Congratulations on your pregnancy! November is a great month to be born. (My birthday is in Nov. )

1) What do you do with the older kids while delivering?

For both our homebirths our children were there, but not in the same room. It is very handy to have an extra adult or teen to stay with your children and keep them distracted.

The first time we were given a complete birthing list by the midwife, and we were supposed to have those supplies at our house by 36 weeks. Some midwives supply everything as part of their services. The second time we needed nothing but umbilical clamps, blunt-tipped scissors, a bowl to catch the afterbirth, and towels/blankets.

3) What if there are problems? Our last homebirth ended up as an unassisted stillbirth (we knew she had died ahead of time), and we somehow got through it with lots of prayer. Yes, problems are extremely rare in healthy women (thank God!) so the best thing to do is eat well, stay hydrated, and keep in tune with your body. Also, midwives are trained to spot problems before they develop into emergencies. How she handles "problems" is definitely something else to talk to your midwife about.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

March 19th, 2007, 08:38 PM
magilatuzzi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to magilatuzzi
Thanks ladies! I think I am just nervous because out of the 4 I had now, although Dani was super fast, and my 2nd boy was only 4 hours, there were issues with the other 2. Drew my oldest was born at 28 weeks and was breech. Obviously that would not be a home birth though! And, I have had 3 more full term since then. Nick, my youngest boy was a full brow presentation. It stalled my labour considerably (10 hrs..my longest) They said it was impossible to deliver him vaginally, but with some help from a great doctor, I did it.
Thanks again for the replies,. and I will be visiting here often!

DS Drew, 04/94, DS Braden, 10/97, DS Nick, 07/99, DD Danika 07/06, DD Gabriella 11/07,
DSD Rayelle 03/97, DSD Seryna, 06/01
</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search