Too many distractions at home?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 18th, 2007, 11:35 AM
kimberlypatton@msn.com's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi gals,
This will be my first home birth. My first two were in a beautiful birth center. I am concerned about being distracted while in labor. I really loved my first two birthing experiences and am having a bit of a tough time adjusting to the fact that we're doing things differently this time! At the birth center everything was beautiful, perfect, clean, peaceful. I labored and birthed in total tranquility and when I was ready to go home I got to leave the mess for someone else and just go home. Now that I'm going to be having this baby at HOME I'm thinking that I won't be able to labor peacefully for many reasons. I have a 3 and 4 yr.old that will be here. I'm not sure that I'll see them as a distraction though. They're pretty excited and the whole process has been explained so I think they'll do great. MAINLY I'm thinking that I will be distracted and want to clean while I'm laboring so that everything will be *perfect* after the baby is born. I'm wondering how you cope with all these distractions...for those of you who have done this before???! This may seem totally silly...and maybe it IS. I don't know yet. It's just something that I've been thinking about a lot so I thought I'd ask for your input on how you find peace at home while laboring. Maybe the distractions are helpful? Please do tell!!!
ESTHER GRACE WAS BORN ON MARCH 23RD, 2009: 4:15 PM, 9 POUNDS, 20.5 INCHES. ANOTHER WONDERFUL HOME WATER BIRTH!!!

The world today is upside down because there is so very little love in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other. Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious…and in the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.
-Mother Teresa~
March 18th, 2007, 01:51 PM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
I haven't been through it before but I just wanted to share my plans. When I go into labor the dogs (3) will be going to my parents' house. I am supposed to get the bed ready and cook something for post partum. I will most likely do some light cleaning during the first part of labor if for nothing else just to pass the time.

Are you going to have a friend or relative there during labor to help with your other children? If not, it would be a really good idea so your DH doesn't have to worry about fixing their meals or stuff like that.

My MW and her assistant have already told me that they do most of the cleanup themselves during the immediate post partum time when they will still be there anyway. If you use plastic backed sheets and those chux pads I don't really see that there would be a big mess anyway-- pretty much just a good amount of trash to throw away.

I hope that helped some.

</MARQUEE>
March 18th, 2007, 03:11 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
During my last homebirth, my mom, a girlfriend, all my kids, their dad, a MW and her apprentice were all there while I was in labor. My mom and my friend were watching tv and chatting, the MW's were setting up for the birth, the kids were going in and out and playing outside, their dad kinda hanging out watching them....I didn't know all this was going on until afterwards. My mom had even cooked scrambled eggs with veggies and cheese...I had no clue.
I was in my own world.
I would just say have someone on hand to tend to the kids needs other than your dh or labor support person.

In very early labor I was out walking with my kids, watching Oprah with my mom and friend...I had done enough "nesting" in the weeks leading up that my house sparkled. I was even outside chatting with neighbors and went to a garage sale up the street and bought a pack n play and a stroller!! LOL!!
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
March 18th, 2007, 05:00 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I cleaned a little while in early labor, but believe me, when labor is going for real you will NOT be tempted to clean! I personally think it is important to stay active during labor as long as practical, and if that means taking care of the kids or light chores, I don't see the harm in it.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

March 18th, 2007, 08:39 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Luckily my DH cued in on the fact I was in labor - I got on the computer as a distraction & he cleaned the house Just some picking up here& there though.

We designated one person the "host" and they picked up, prepared food, etc. And then we had someone else designated to mind the kids in case they got hungry, got antsy, had questions, whatever.

It all works out and really, until labor I was sure I would be worried what peopel thought of the house, but you get in a groove & youre "home" and for me, home is never truly straight lol. Had it been "too clean" I probably wouldnt have felt at home lol. We just made sure the major stuff was done & what I decided to clean up kept me busy & preoccupied & kept me frmo focusing on early labor too much

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
March 18th, 2007, 08:53 PM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
I also just wanted to say-- I would be WAY more distracted trying to give birth in a hospital.

</MARQUEE>
March 19th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
In labor I was not distracted by anything. I didn't even notice when Cameron, then Ani, then my mom left the room when I was pushing.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

March 19th, 2007, 05:13 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I would be WAY more distracted trying to give birth in a hospital

ITA! But during transition and the second stage, NOTHING distracted me unless it was literally happening in my face. A lot of things that bothered me about my hospital births (procedures without my consent, nurse frantically yelling the ten-count, leaving the door open, etc.) didn't even occur to me until afterwards. It is hard to imagine, but it has been my experience that you really go into a "different zone" while birthing almost regardless of the circumstances.

But it is true that there are many more distractions at the hospital.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

March 20th, 2007, 01:46 PM
kimberlypatton@msn.com's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks Gals for answering my post and giving my ideas. I guess I was putting too much thought/worry into it. I have a difficult time with change...esp. when what I've done before worked so well. Anyhow...Yeah, I guess, based on my previous births, that when I'm in transition I'll be in the ZONE..so nothing will really be bothering me since I go totally internal and shut everything else out. I can see the benefit now to being home. I love the idea about doing some cooking during the early parts of labor and any cleaning I do will probably be a nice distraction and will make me happy and more peaceful. My mom will be coming to help out with the kiddos as soon as I go into labor but it's a 4 hr. drive. I'm sure she'll make it though since my water usually breaks before I begin contractions and I've had nice, easy labors that last quite a while before I ever get to the more difficult parts. Hopefully this time will follow the same pattern. Anyhow...I appreciate all your responses!!!

Blessings to you all,
KimberlyB
ESTHER GRACE WAS BORN ON MARCH 23RD, 2009: 4:15 PM, 9 POUNDS, 20.5 INCHES. ANOTHER WONDERFUL HOME WATER BIRTH!!!

The world today is upside down because there is so very little love in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other. Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious…and in the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.
-Mother Teresa~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search