CPD - darn docs are shaking my confidence

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Super Mommy
Hi Folks,

I thought I would post here, 'cause I think you ladies would be more likely to understand. My little girl was a planned homebirth, but after 30 hrs of labour, no "progress" - only dilated to 5-6, I opted to transfer, got the epi (hell on earth after the first 30 mins), still didn't dilate, and then I chose to go ahead with the section. By that time I was so exhausted. I felt completely and thoroughly spent. I have owned that decision and have gradually come to a point where I have made peace with it. If (big if) we ever decide to bring another child into this world my choice would be for a VBAC at home in water - with a much better informed momma of the realities of what birth is like for her.

Ok, so fast forward to the current day. My sweetie is almost 10 months old and a bit of a skinny minny. She is (if you buy this sort of thing) in the 5th percentile for weight, 75th for height and 95th for head circumference. Her dad is 6'2" with a really big noggin. I am 5'2" with an average size head. The latest doc said (offhanded) that her noodle is likely the reason that she turned at the last moment and didn't/couldn't enter my pelvis. He mentioned that the next one would likely do the same thing. I have been tossing his comments back and forth in my head and I will confess that they are shaking my confidence... ah the wonderful medical profession. I should know better, but alas...

What do you think? Does this really sound like a case of true CPD? How do I get my confidence back?

Kimbo
April 5th, 2007, 03:18 PM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well....I may be a bit biased, new baby boy was 10lb. 12 oz, so i'm not sure if i believe in CPD at all. It took standing and screaming, but out he came. I think that while 30 hours is a bit long for hospital standards, for a first time mom, and a homebirht it's totally normal, my MW says that for first time moms when they begin to labor, she prepares to have it last for three days. And it wasn't until hour 27 with my second, that we started to prepare for a baby actually coming out, i had been at 5 all darn day and night, but i am sure if i had been at a hospital, they would have declared it CPD too, not so, it just took a bit longer for that big ol head to come down. So those are my thoughts. I think you would be totally fine this time. At one point did you declare it labnor last time? WHen did the MW arrive? How much sleep and food did you have?

Also, many women in HB's not only fail to dilate faster upon transfer, some actually UNdilate, it's the change of environment/tensing that can happen. So while the doc cites the head as the reason, i would wager that the doc was the issue
April 5th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
How big was her head at birth? I don't think we grow them too big in the absence of a medical condition (such as GD). I've birthed two babies with 14 3/4" heads and one with a 14 1/2" head. The size of the head isn't nearly as important as the head tuck and being in a good position.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 5th, 2007, 07:58 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
True CPD (your pelvis being too small) is VERY RARE and when it does occur is usually caused by 1) rickets 2) pelvic trauma.

Its very likely that any number of things could have contributed, including the positioning of the baby, your positioning, what other factors played into how your labor started, even your fears and preconceived ideas, etc.

(the mind is a powerful thing).

((((hugs))))

Have you read the book birthing from within? I think you might find it valuable if not.

I say go for the homebirth again next time though. Youll never eve rknow unless you try

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search