Sterile Gloves....are they REALLY needed?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
I started to put together my homebirth kit, and I am wondering, are sterile gloves REALLY needed? We are having an unassisted HB and it just seems to me like if our hands are clean, why do we need gloves? We're going to change her diapers and hold her and bathe her without wearing gloves....any info GREATLY appreciated. So far I have:
  • Colonder (for the placenta - we're having a Lotus Birth)
  • Bucket (to put under the colonder, lol)
  • 3 plastic fitted bed covers
  • 4 plastic pillow covers
  • Rubbing alcohol
  • Peroxide
  • Sterile Gauze Pads
  • Measuring Tape
  • 2 Reusable Heat/Cold Packs
  • Box of Laxatives
What else do I need? I am 32 weeks and I have a STRONG feeling that I will go early, so I really need to get the kit complete, thanx so much!!!!

Oh yea, I also have on my list of things to get:

- Flat Sheets
- Towels
- Washcloths
- Receiving Blankets
May 11th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
MrsPil resurrected her "birth kit" thread and actually went back through it to tell us all what she used and didn't use! Would that help?

MrsPil's Birth Kit Thread

Sorry I don't have anything firsthand for you, but I have her thread bookmarked myself for when I start thinking about exactly this.

</div>
May 11th, 2007, 05:24 PM
I remember that thread, I read it before we decided, WAY before. I actually went back and checked it out earlier (right after I posted this) and I have a few questions.......

What is and where can I get the following:

Shepherd's Purse Tincture
Herbal Hemostat
Placenta Release
Maxi Milk (I have heard of this one and really wanted to get it, but have no idea where)

Any help greatly appreciated!!!
May 11th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Shepherd's Purse you'd probably be able to find in a larger "natural" or supplement store; the others you'd probably have better luck with online. If you Google them you should be able to find online stores with them.

I found Herbal Hemostat, Placenta Release, and Maxi Milk.

</div>
May 11th, 2007, 08:45 PM
THANX!!!!
May 13th, 2007, 10:04 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just FYI I got all of my herbs in tincture form from Mountain Meadow Herbs
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

May 29th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
I don't recommend Shepherd's Purse alone if you're planning to use it to stop bleeding. Honestly, if you want to stop bleeding at a UC and you're willing to do a lotus birth, skip the herbs all together and tuck a chunk of the placenta into your cheek (chipmunk-style). It would be much more effective than herbs, much cheaper and doesn't require any knowledge of how much or when or how often. If you do plan to use herbs (either for bleeding or to get the placenta out), you really should have a protocol in mind. IE, if the placenta isn't out in X time, then I'll take X. I use angelica in my practice for the first dose, then placenta out (www.birthsupplies.com) for the second dose. But I hardly EVER EVER use it because I'm willing to wait 1-2 hours for a placenta.

I don't see any absorbant pads on your list. You might want those, if your water breaks and you want to labor around the house, and for the actual birth, because fluid will come with the baby and it's nice to have a chux (or other absorbant pad) there to catch some of that. They also make nice mats for getting in and out of the birth tub. I have 18 on my birth kit. Sometimes we have a stack leftover and sometimes we use all of them. Rarely do we wish we had more.

What's the alcohol for? Just wondering, since you're planning a lotus birth I know it's not for the cord.

Re: sterile gloves. If you plan to check or have your partner check dilation, you might want 2-3 sterile gloves. I only use them when the membranes are ruptured, and even though your germs are 100% familiar to your body, if you plan to check with ruptured membranes, or even think there might be a chance of you wanting to check, I'd recommend the sterile gloves. No, the risk of infection is NOT high at all, but there is a very slight risk of infection and sterile gloves minimize it even more. Other than that, my sterile gloves in my kit are for checking the perineum and/or suturing it after the birth and you prolly won't be doing that at your UC!

I hope this is helpful. I'm concerned that I'm coming across as unsupportive re: the herbs, and honestly I am a little unsupportive of that, but only because I believe that you can have a great birth without them and that they should be treated with the same respect that any medication is treated with. They have the same power (if not more) as pitocin and other pharmacalogical medications, even though they're "just herbs." And I've also found that you tend to use (need?) what's available so I don't want the antihemmoragics to be a self-fulfilling prophecy for you!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search