Home birth vs. Birth Center

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
A birthing center is more comparable to a home rather than a hospital as far as equipment and such. My midwife brought drugs for bleeding, oxygen and deep suctioning stuff just in case, etc. to my home. Really, no different from when I had Cameron at a birthing center. The big difference is you have to go somewhere else if you deliver at a birthing center you have to leave your home and go there and there are other people's germs there rather than your own (and in those two ways they are more like a hospital).

BTW, my second was transverse until 38 weeks. He went head down on his own and actually ended up being my best positioned of my three. How many weeks are you? Low-lying placentas are usually not an issue at all since they move up as your uterus expands.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 21st, 2007, 11:36 AM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
There are two different types of birth centers: the kind that fall into the "mini-hospital" category and the kind that fall into the "maxi-house" category. The same is true for people who attend homebirths--I've seen birth pictures where the attendant was dressed in blue sterile everything and baby was born at home.

So, its important to ask your attendant what their practice is like. Ask for references (clients you can call and talk to about their experiences). Ask what will happen if you refuse GBS testing (I'm required to offer it to all of my clients, but I cannot force them to test, and many do not), of if there are any natural ways to encourage a negative test. You'll generally be able to gague their take on issues like GBS based on their answers to questions about it. You want to try to find someone who matches your philosophy as best as possible.

If your OB suggested a homebirth (kiss him for me, would you?), ask him if he knows anyone who would be a good fit for you. Another resource that you might find helpful for finding LOCAL birth attendants is the finding your tribe area of Mothering.com. I know there will be women there who have had experience with midwives in your area and can answer more specific questions. Its important to interview a few different attendants so that you can get a feel for their different personalities and attidudes toward birth and choose the one that most fits what you're looking for.

GOOD LUCK and keep us updated please!!
June 22nd, 2007, 05:41 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
$8,000?!?!?! Wow! The homebirth midwives around here charge $2500 for prenatal, delivery, post-natal (including the midwife's assistant) and we're in an expensive area (right outside of Washington DC). Even the birthing center is only $4,000.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search