Should I homebirth?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 28th, 2007, 08:11 PM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
I've been seriously considering home birth with my next pregnancy. (We're TTC right now) The only thing that holds me back is this..... the closest hospital is more than 30 minutes in either direction. The closest hospital with a L&D unit is over an hour away though. If something goes wrong, it's going to take at least 45 minutes to drive there(L&D unit), and that's with lights and sirens going, and doing about 90mph.

Now, I've delivered twice before. Both times they had to break my water, and they ended up giving me pitocin (sp?) to regulate my contractions. Other than that, there were no problems. Do you think home birth is even an option for me? Is it a chance I should take, or do you think that with the hospital being so far away I should just have a hospital delivery?

I'd like everyone's opinions. I really want to know what you would do if you were in my shoes. If you have any other questions that you need answers to before you decide, just ask. TIA.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
June 28th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
I would interview a midwife and ask her take on this situation. Some midwives are okay with hospitals that are far away and some aren't. My argument is always that you'd be driving to the hospital anyway, if you planned on having your baby there. There are few instances where it would be necessary to transport IMMEDIATELY, and many of those instances (like cord prolapse) can happen whether you're laboring at home, or just being pregnant at home. There are a few (like a pp hemorrhage), however, where being that far away from the hospital would raise the risk to you (not so much for baby, because EMTs are able to administer meds that baby might need for resus. and to intubate, which are the next two steps after your midwife's resus. training).

I'd certainly interview and ask a midwife about these things, though. It's NEVER too early to set up a meeting with a potential midwife, either, so you can do it while you're thinking of TTC.
June 29th, 2007, 04:53 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I agree about discussing it with potential MW's. My personal opinion is go for it....hospital transfer rates are pretty low, and emergency transfer rates even lower. I am more afraid to birth in a hospital then at home...thats just my "I hate hospitals" opinion though

Quote:
Now, I've delivered twice before. Both times they had to break my water, and they ended up giving me pitocin (sp?) to regulate my contractions.[/b]
Oh and I wanted to say, as far as AROM and the pit to "regulate" your contrax...

I had my first four in hospitals. The docs always claimed I "needed" to be helped along, that I just labored to slowly..or translated... not fast enough for them...c;mon 1cm per 1 hour dammit!!!
My water "just wouldn't" break on its own, I needed AROM...when is the last time you saw a toddler walking around in the bag of waters??
With my third they gave me Pit to "regulate" my contrax too....this, to me, is just another way to make you "fit" into the doc/hospitals time frame for birth. It makes contrax harder and opens you up to more interventions.

Good luck deciding what works best for you!
#12 is on the way
June 29th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Thanks for the advice ladies. I talked to a friend of mine who is a cop/fire fighter last night.....asking him how fast they could have me to a hospital in an emergency situation, and after what he told me, I feel much better about the possibility of a home birth. I guess the general practice in this area is this. To avoid lengthy periods at the hospital before the baby is born, a woman would do early labor at home, and then go to the local hospital who then flies the mother to the L&D unit. Of course you have to keep the local hospital informed so they can get the helicopter on standby, but that's what they normally do. My friend pointed out to me that for a home birth, my midwife could notify the hospital with the L&D unit, just the same as the local hospital would, and have the helicopter put on standby, arranging in advance where they would land to get me in an emergency. In my case, it's the parking lot that is literally right across the street from me.

From the time we call and say we have a problem to the time the would have me in L&D could be as little as 18 minutes! I think I can handle that. lol I'm going to research midwives more today. The woman that most people in this area had deliver their babies at the hospital retired 7 or 8 months ago, so I'll have to find another one. I want to go ahead and get that done now, because most likely the midwife will have at least an hour or hour and a half drive to get to me. I want to make sure she's willing to do it with it being that far. Her website says she will service the entire state, and some areas are much further away than I am, so hopefully she will.

Now if I can just get DH on board. This is my third, but his first, and he is a nervous wreck about me giving birth period. He'll likely have a nervous breakdown when I tell him I want to do it at home! LMAO

June 29th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
Woo Hoo! That's great! I'm so glad that your friend didn't try to scare you out of a homebirth but instead offered some reassurance. Keep us updated!
June 29th, 2007, 11:49 AM
His mom home birthed him in this same town. Not intentionally, but it was still a home birth. His sister did the same last year. He actually wants his wife to consider having a baby and home birth, but she refuses. And she is insistent that if there ever is an opps, she will be in the hospital, having a c-section, and completely under anesthesia. She doesn't want to be awake at all.

He even offered to talk to DH for me and try to help him see that home births are not that uncommon, and that they aren't as dangerous as people think they are. Hopefully I can convince him on my own, but it's nice to know that I already have some support here if I need it!

June 29th, 2007, 06:08 PM

I'm doing a happy dance right now! I just got done talking to DH and he says if I really want to have a home birth, that I can. So I'm contacting the midwife that I've been researching during the first of the week, and we'll see if she thinks I am a good candidate for home birth.

I can't believe how easy it was to get him to agree to it! Oh.....and the poo analogy TOTALLY WORKED!!! lmao

July 16th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Michelle Allmon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I've been seriously considering home birth with my next pregnancy. (We're TTC right now) The only thing that holds me back is this..... the closest hospital is more than 30 minutes in either direction. The closest hospital with a L&D unit is over an hour away though. If something goes wrong, it's going to take at least 45 minutes to drive there(L&D unit), and that's with lights and sirens going, and doing about 90mph.

Now, I've delivered twice before. Both times they had to break my water, and they ended up giving me pitocin (sp?) to regulate my contractions. Other than that, there were no problems. Do you think home birth is even an option for me? Is it a chance I should take, or do you think that with the hospital being so far away I should just have a hospital delivery?

I'd like everyone's opinions. I really want to know what you would do if you were in my shoes. If you have any other questions that you need answers to before you decide, just ask. TIA.[/b]
My last child was supposed to be a home birth, but he turned in the final days and wrapped the cord around his neck several times. When he was trying to come down blood was pouring out of me because the placenta was tearing (or something like that). My midwife, who had been delivering babies for about 25 years at the time, will only transfer her patients to this one hospital in the city, she works with a Doctor there. I lived out in the country and there was a hospital about 2 miles away but it is a small hospital and considering the complications we had I am happy we went to a more equipped one. They did want to give me a cesarean but I refused. He is perfectly fine and the long drive to the hospital (typically an hour from where I lived) was no big deal in hindsight. I was in good hands at all times, it did suck to be told not to push for that long when he was trying to come out but all turned out well. Long story short? No worries, try for the home birth.
I'm a full-time, professional wedding photographer now providing birth documentation in a contemporary style. Birth coverage includes boxed designer proofs with sloppy borders, online viewing, a DVD slideshow, custom album design and custom birth announcement design. I offer modern announcements, mounted prints, gorgeous frames & flush mount albums. www.RedheadedNinja.com

Co-Host of the Photography Board

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search