Pediatrician Question

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2007, 06:37 PM
dzt66's Avatar Super Mommy
This is my first home birth. While at an appointment for my youngest daughter today, I explained I was having a home birth and asked my pediatrician how soon after the birth she wanted to see the new baby. She said within 24 hrs. I thought she would say like 2-3 days or something (which would allow me to go). That means I will have to ship my 24 hr old baby off with my husband by himself.

What have others of you done in the past? Of course I want to make sure the baby is okay, but I don't want to be away from him for an appt and travel time that could take about 1.5-2 hrs!

Am I being weird? What should I do?

Proud mommy to Kourtney Lauren (10/01/03), McKenna Grace (07/11/05), and Blake Matthew (10/21/07)

My Family Blog
July 16th, 2007, 09:08 PM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
Hi and congratulations on your pregnancy! Let me just start off by saying homebirths are wonderful and I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

We actually found a pediatrician (through our MW) that made home visits for homebirth clients for the first visit. We didn't keep her as our pediatrician (although we've only seen our pedi once and Taylor is 3 and a half months old, I don't see a need unless she is sick and she hasn't been), we just used her for the home visit as an initial check-up. That is the best option, IMO. Your attending MW will do a very thorough examination of the baby after you initiate the breastfeeding, so it isn't absolutely necessary to see a pedi within the first 24 hours if you don't want to.

Is your baby going to have any injections? Is your MW going to come back on the day after the birth? Do you plan on having a chiropractor come to your house for an adjustment on the baby to re-align anything that got misplaced during the birth? Sorry so many questions! I could just give you a better answer with more info.

</MARQUEE>
July 16th, 2007, 09:32 PM
azchela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just had my first home birth - our ped. said she wanted to see the baby within 24 hours too - but I told her my midwife was licensed to provide immediate newborn care (which they are in our state) so we would not be bringing the baby in until she was 4 days old (she really didn't need to be seen until 2 weeks but I wanted to be reasonable).

Our midwife did the initial exam at birth and then did a home visit at 24 hours and 3 days and then we had a weight check at 1 week.

i would check and see if your midwife can provide that initial care and explain to your ped. that you are choosing not to bring in baby until he/she is XX days old. Hopefully the doc will understand. If not, keep shopping!!

July 17th, 2007, 01:46 AM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Many MWs I know are capable of looking over babes for the first 6 weeks. Frankly since we don't vaccinate I haven't ever taken Mariska to a western medicine practitioner. She has seen the chiropractor and that's good enough for me!
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

July 17th, 2007, 01:31 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Our homebirth baby, Thomas, saw the doc once when he was two weeks old. The only reason I took him in at all was so I had the proof I needed to file for his birth certificate. He's 3 1/2 and has never been to a doc since.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

July 17th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
I always tell my clients that a good answer to this question is either one or two weeks. Your ped's answer indicates that she doesn't really understand what a midwife does. You see, in the hospital, every baby is seen during the first 24 hours and that's when the newborn exam is done, BY THE PED. A midwife does that examination (often sooner than the hospital does) and monitors baby's well being as well as mamas. I would not want my client separated from her baby at 24 hours, nor would I want her at the doctor's office unless something was wrong with baby.

I think the solution of saying "well, my midwife provides newborn care, so we'll be in a week after birth" is a good one. Another solution is to just be "too busy" to call and make that 24 hour appointment.
July 18th, 2007, 11:47 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
My homebirthed babies didn't see a ped until two weeks.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
July 18th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My midwife does complete care for me and the baby for the first 6 weeks. She does the initial exam, then comes back at 24 hours, 1 week, 2 weeks and 6 weeks. I don't remember with my boys how soon they were seen, but my daughter wasn't until she was a week old. I would schedule the appointment for a time frame that you feel comfortable with, especially if your midwife can do checks of the baby, too.

July 23rd, 2007, 03:41 PM
home4mygirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Trinity didn't see the pediatrician until she was about 3 months (I think). The midwife saw her after the birth, then again at 6 weeks, then we started going to a regular pediatrician when she was 3 months to start vaccinations. I didn't even call to make the appointment until she was about 2 months old, so the pediatrician didn't really have a choice to see her any sooner.

"We do not choose to be born. We do not choose our parents, or the country of our birth. We do not, most of us, choose to die; nor do we choose the time and conditions of our death. But within this realm of choicelessness, we do choose how we live." Joseph Epstein
July 23rd, 2007, 08:01 PM
kimberlypatton@msn.com's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My midwife is also a ND so she does all my baby care. I won't ever see a pediatrician unless she refers us to one for problems that she can't handle herself.
ESTHER GRACE WAS BORN ON MARCH 23RD, 2009: 4:15 PM, 9 POUNDS, 20.5 INCHES. ANOTHER WONDERFUL HOME WATER BIRTH!!!

The world today is upside down because there is so very little love in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other. Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious…and in the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.
-Mother Teresa~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search