Preterm labor

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Super Mommy
I haven't had to deal with preterm labor yet during this pregnancy, but as I move closer to the 3rd trimester I'm starting to get nervous. DS was born at 34-35 weeks although when I went into labor we thought I was 32 weeks. My midwife mentioned during our first appointment that there are some herbs that I can keep on hand and take if I start feeling preterm "uterine action". I have an appointment later this morning and will ask her then for recommendations and dosages etc. Just wondering if anyone has used herbs to prevent preterm delivery. I need to make it to at least 36 weeks to get my homebirth.

July 19th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
I like Carry On from www.birthsupplies.com for this purpose. Also making yourself the #1 priority....get plenty of rest, keep yourself hydrated, eat all of your 80-100 grams of protein each day, and so on...
July 19th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Super Mommy
I couldn't find "carry on" on birthsupplies.com, but it was on birthwithlove.com. My midwife suggested false unicorn root, and wild yam extract and it looks like carry on is a combination of the two along with Black haw. I'll do a little research, but may end up getting a bottle. Thanks for your help!

July 22nd, 2007, 12:07 AM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is from another board but it is really very informative and J is a very wise woman so here goes..

Quote:
What your pregnant body needs is for you to get plenty of calories from mainly healthy sources, plenty of clear fluids (many herbal teas are good for pregnancy, doesn't have to be plain water), and plenty of rest/relaxation. Activity is very good but most of us civilized women do need to curtail our activities to a degree--a bit less vigorous, and less exerting on the lifting or standing-on-the-feet-too-long side of things. Walking is great--standing or shuffling slowly is not. Gardening is good--you just can't lift loads as heavy as when not pregnant. And I can't emphasize enough how important good rest is--and enough rest. Maybe you need naps or a bit of a lie-down in the afternoon. Quality of rest is important--if there is too much stress in your life, be that mental or physical, you won't rest as deeply as you need to. So, are you eating enough? Are you drinking enough? Are you getting good activity but not overdoing it? Are you resting long enough and well enough? Are you able to fully relax, or do you have stressors that need some attention?

Remember that even when you are sitting still, when pregnant you are burning more calories than a man digging a ditch! Honor this work duly--give your body what it needs to do this work well and without strain. It can be so hard for women to honor the work of pregnancy in their daily living...few consider it to be 'work' at all, and certainly not important work. Many of us feel that we have to keep up with the 'other work'--our usual workload, the visible work that can others can credit us--while pregnant. Not so!

The others have good suggestions...the only one I disagree with is False Unicorn Root. That should be saved for occasional use only when you are having patterned contractions that won't quit. FUR is an endangered species--go lightly with it! Besides, neither that nor any herb will do the trick unless you really are sufficiently fed, hydrated and rested/relaxed. Start with the basics, then go to 'medicine'--whether herbal or medical--only when the need is truly proven.

Jaikali[/b]
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

July 22nd, 2007, 01:19 PM
Super Mommy
That is great to know about false unicorn root being an endangered species, thanks. As for the rest of the post, I really am doing my best with rest, and enough water, food, sleep and all that. What I'm looking for is something to keep on hand just in case all of that isn't enough (which is pretty much what the woman you quoted said that she though herbs should be reserved for too). I think I just need to do some more reading, I still don't know enough about all of this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search