Birthing Pools

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had a waterbirth and loved it and am hoping for another. But I am like you, always thinking about the logistics of things. I agree I wouldn't want to think about setting it up myself. Maybe you could get one of those inflatable kiddie pools. That shouldn't be too tough to set up or fill when the time comes. And you could always set it up before hand and then just fill it when the time comes.
Or you can do without the birthing pool altogether. There's no reason why you can't labor as much as you want in your bathtub and just get out when you deliver. Some women find they don't want to be in water much anyway once they're in labor. You won't know how you feel until you're there. So I would say don't stress about the birthing tub. You'll be fine either way.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
July 26th, 2007, 05:54 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Would you consider catching the baby yourself? Or another option might be to labor in the tub but give birth out of it. The kiddie pool is another possibility... a friend of mine had good experience using one.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

July 26th, 2007, 11:12 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As long as the umbilical cord is not cut or blocked off in anyway and still pulsating baby is still getting Oxygen from mama. Babies don't take their first breath until after their entire body is out. (gotta admit the though of just the babies head being out and breathing gave me the shivers) Don't forget as well, baby has just spent 40+ weeks in water, so going from amniotic fluid to bath water is not a huge change for them (this is where the oxygen from mama comes in handy).

This link also explains it. Her birth story is amazing.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

July 28th, 2007, 06:38 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The baby won't actually breathe underwater as long as the water is at least body temperature. It's the cold air that shocks baby into taking his/her first breaths which is why you cannot put the baby's head back underwater once it has been above water.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

July 29th, 2007, 01:57 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The pool we used took 20 mins tops to inflate with a pump & needed no real "supervision" - plug in the pump, hook it up to pool, inflate. That way you could have it out of the way until labor was underway. Your MW could hook it up (or you could even), and then labor about as it inflated. It took another 20-30 mins to fill up, and it was great.

I would be wary of a jacuzzi tub b/c of the hard bottoms. Logistics could be difficult & your knees would wear out fast. I dont think *I* personally would want to be having to worry about my knees aching on top of it all and then in a long pushing phase having to move locations just because the tub became uncomfortable. I could see where it would easily be uncomfortable with a hard bottom on your knees after even only 20 mins.

We bought the La Bassine - it is more "oval" shaped but still wide enough to maneuver about. It takes up about 6 ft of room, but its not excessive. It has handles on the inside, and is well enough insulated that its good for several hours without using a heater.

I bought it at www.yourwaterbirth.com

And - its reasonably priced!!!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
July 29th, 2007, 11:51 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh also I meant to say we used my tub which would have been fine but I ended up getting out.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

July 30th, 2007, 09:39 AM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
I had a large cattle trough as my birth tub. I planned to give birth in it but when I was in labor I didn't even enjoy being in the water at all. You never know if you will even enjoy it once the time comes. Just something to think about. Also, someone mentioned the hard bottom of the tub and I waned to say that we bought a pair of super cheap pillows and used them for the bottom of the tub to sit or neal on. It wasn't a big deal for them to get wet or ruined because that is what they were for.

</MARQUEE>
July 31st, 2007, 06:53 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The *only* reason I would reccomend a birth pool over your own tub is because your tailbone might get really sore if you end up labouring the tub for a long time. The pool I bought from my midwife was only about $38, and it has a really thick inflatable bottom - so it's like sitting on a cloud. The sides are also so sturdy (really thick inflatable) that I could lean with all my weight on them if I needed to. It was the smaller of these two pools:
http://www.birthwithlove.com/categories/it...uarian+Birthing

I would ask your midwife about all of that. Many midwives have assistants (doulas or apprentice midwives) who can come with them if you don't have anyone else, and perhaps that person could do all of the set-up work for you (filling the tub, etc).

If it's just you and your midwife (perhaps one assistant) - would privacy really be an issue? My midwife was really good about keeping her distance if I wanted to be alone, she just kept an eye on me from afar until I needed her.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search