40 Weeks?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2007, 10:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Have I been wrong all these years? Is a full term pregnancy 40 weeks or is it now 35 or 36 weeks? Am I the only woman that has not died from going into labor on her own, past 37 weeks even?? I just don't get it. I simply don't get it.

Mama to:
Nick, 18
Abby, 16
Gabe, 14
Isaac, 12
Mary-Kate, 11
Sam, 9
Henry, 8
Molly, 7
Mark, 5
Greta, 4
Cecilia,2
Josephine,1
Baby due Jan. 2014
August 1st, 2007, 12:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wondering if youre referring to all the whining at the Sept DDC? It's surprising how many of them are ready and willing to give birth a month and half early. I don't get it either. Personally, I could use an extra month!

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
August 1st, 2007, 12:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeh, I am. What's the big deal of a little suffering for a greater good? I'm hot, huge, my back aches, my feet hurt, etc... but I will gladly take it all times ten for baby to stay where he is supposed to be until he is supposed to come!!

With so many women being induced for whatever reason (cuz come on, we all know that a real reason for induction is a rare rare thing) makes a 40 week or more pregnancy seem 'abnormal'. KWIM? It's to the point where women are begining to expect going early, or asking for inductions.

Mama to:
Nick, 18
Abby, 16
Gabe, 14
Isaac, 12
Mary-Kate, 11
Sam, 9
Henry, 8
Molly, 7
Mark, 5
Greta, 4
Cecilia,2
Josephine,1
Baby due Jan. 2014
August 1st, 2007, 04:02 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I remember feeling that way also. My DDC was just as bad, and no matter what you tell them there's no way to convince them that a 37 week induction is asking for trouble. What can you do?
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

August 2nd, 2007, 10:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That's just it. Being induced to scheduling a section, even at 37 weeks is risky. There have been 3 babies born in our ddc already, all but one have come early on their own, but not one of them is not in the NICU. WHY would anyone take such a risk?? Praise God that babies born early have a very high survival rate, and that the NICU is a miraculous place, but why ASK for it???

Mama to:
Nick, 18
Abby, 16
Gabe, 14
Isaac, 12
Mary-Kate, 11
Sam, 9
Henry, 8
Molly, 7
Mark, 5
Greta, 4
Cecilia,2
Josephine,1
Baby due Jan. 2014
August 2nd, 2007, 01:14 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Totally understand what you mean. I read in the DDC but rarely post because I'm just not on the same page I guess. I'm hoping this little one comes late actually (so my Mom will be here for the birth, she's flying in a day before my due date). My midwife told me she has no timeline, that after 42 weeks she does recommend a sonogram to make sure everything looks okay but it totally fine with delivering 3 weeks past the "due date". I'm big and pregnant and it's hot, but I'm out there with the kids playing, helping them ride bikes, going swimming, etc. I'm not anxious in the least to have this pregnancy over any earlier than when this little one decides it's had enough time in the womb
August 2nd, 2007, 05:52 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Lisa, I've been biting my tongue over this for a long time now. I had a preemie, and it is not something I would EVER wish to go through again! Even though he survived w/o complications who knows the long-term effects of all the medication, radiation, etc. that he was exposed to for the first months of his life, not to mention possible emotional effects of the separation.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

August 2nd, 2007, 06:21 PM
Super Mommy
totally with you here. DS was a preemie and spent the first 2 1/2 weeks of his life in the NICU, the hardest 2 1/2 weeks I've ever lived through. The care was amazing, but it is something that I'm really hoping not to repeat this time around. I'd gladly take 43 week pregnancy over a 35 week one.

August 2nd, 2007, 07:22 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
Alison, who is your midwife? Texas is so great for midwifery rules...I love that midwives are allowed that freedom there .

I totally agree that pregnancy gets shorter and shorter. In my experience, babies who come earlier are higher need, so I'm all about a baby having its needs met passively for a long as possible!!

Interesting adecdote: I took care of a young college mom a few years ago and none of her friends could believe that she didn't know when her baby was coming! One actually said, "that's so cool! I've never met anyone who didn't know when they were having their baby before." CRAZY!
August 2nd, 2007, 07:31 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Alison, who is your midwife? Texas is so great for midwifery rules...I love that midwives are allowed that freedom there .[/b]
Her name is Cori, here's her website: http://www.barefootmidwifery.com/MidwiferyCare/

I have been so impressed at how midwife friendly TX is. I've been seeing a chiropractor for a few weeks (I have a history of breech presentation at term) and she mentioned that it was a very good thing I went with a midwife because the c-section rate here is amazingly high. We went back and forth between having a home birth vs. a birth center but after meeting my midwife the choice was easily made. It feels so "right" and I am so excited for this experience!
August 3rd, 2007, 10:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks Anita, good work! That would not have been well receieved had I posted it!

Mama to:
Nick, 18
Abby, 16
Gabe, 14
Isaac, 12
Mary-Kate, 11
Sam, 9
Henry, 8
Molly, 7
Mark, 5
Greta, 4
Cecilia,2
Josephine,1
Baby due Jan. 2014
August 3rd, 2007, 01:56 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I normally post in the natural childbirth board (I had my baby 11 days ago at a birthing center), but I had to comment on this.

ITA with everything said in this thread. I know that I was about to lose it in my DDC around the 32 week mark and on. People were whining and complaining about EVERYTHING, including having OB's who refused to induce them until they were actually past 42 weeks (lots of natural childbirthers would KILL for an OB like that). People were even trying to justify how having a preemie is not that bad since quite a few people had 34-35 weekers (who came on their own) and they either didn't have to go to the NICU or only had "short stays."

Honestly, I eventually just stopped responding to those threads because people weren't listening anyhow.

Oh yeah, and I agree that Texas is great for midwives. I actually switched to midwives at 37 weeks (yeah, that's right, LOL) after I realized that my OB wasn't selling what I was trying to buy (even though she made it seem that way during the pregnancy) and that the hospital had one of the worst c-section rates in the city (and Texas, especially Dallas, has a high c-section rate!). I had a choice of places to go and once they saw that I had no medical problems they got me right in. I had 2 prenatal appts before going into labor and having a great, unmedicated birth.

Midwives rock!

August 6th, 2007, 05:13 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Interesting adecdote: I took care of a young college mom a few years ago and none of her friends could believe that she didn't know when her baby was coming! One actually said, "that's so cool! I've never met anyone who didn't know when they were having their baby before." CRAZY![/b]
That still stays with me!

I don't know how this got to be okay. It blows my mind. But you know women aren't enjoying their pregnancies like they used to anymore. The whole thing from conception to birth is something to get through. Sorry, but I like sleeping with my husband, I love growing a baby in my belly and I love the kicks and pains and everything that goes with it, and I love the whole labor and birth thing. I love being awake and aware and it is so much fun!

So...it only makes sense to make that whole unpleasant experience over with as soon as possible.

August 6th, 2007, 07:21 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Quote:
Sorry, but I like sleeping with my husband, I love growing a baby in my belly and I love the kicks and pains and everything that goes with it, and I love the whole labor and birth thing. I love being awake and aware and it is so much fun![/b]
VERY well said.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search